Eliminating post count for chit-chat threads

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by Jithiks, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malathy
    yes it never stricked me it will be like forwards and game section only to see when it is moderated. Thanks for explaining.

2. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

dear all ,

sounds like not a great idea.
    if this is the case what about the one or two liners posts like , " YOUR COLLECTION IS AWESOME AND THANKS FOR SHARING ".

i think feedback posts are majority in number than the quality posts here if we take the survey & this cannot be denied that those quality posts cannot survive without the support of the one or two liners posts.

according to me , quality differs from person to person & it is tough to find the yardstick also. will INDUSLADIES discriminate between the quality one & the simple replies one like 'A' , B , C , centers for the filmindustry.???

as INDUSLADIES caters all the needs of women & the community chit chat being lieing in a corner already[ they also share useful info , & provides good ground for making friendship & entertainment ] let that be untouched & make those posts also count so as to retain the IL population.

it will be highly discourageous to those ilites who race to get a good status here by all means. kindly reconsider. thankyou !

3. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Dear Malathy,Moderators and friends,

When you have post counts and credits for posts dont you think

any ILite who responds will like some credit or recognition for it?

What will be te catalyst to make her respond and make it an

active thread?

If you think these are not quality threads which are not worth a place

in IL ,why not just lock/delete it?

With PMs being made paid-community chit chat helps so many virtual

friends keep bonded and if you slap such a sanction, many will stop

responding to these threads and along with these threads,social

networking will also get diminished and will die a natural death.

If you insist only on quality posts-PLEASE SET THE YARDSTICKS

for them and let us know.

If moderating is the main problem-or lack of moterators knowledge of

the language is an issue, rope in more moderators...the matter

will be solved...

As you know, jokes & forwards have fewer responses when compared

to some other forums where posts are counted.

We are aiming at a 100000 member count...and such restrictions can

dampen the spirit of actively posting ILITES....

As it is, only a small percentage of our 50000+ ilites respond regularly

and do you want to wean them away too?

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Shaks,

Chit chat threads ae mere " chit chats " Regardles sof what authentic information is shared, it a'int so helpful to the community.. Just because a freind of mine ( I participate in Bangalore chit chat too ) tells me, what she did for Diwali, doesnt mean I am benefitted from that.. Moreover, if my friend does want to share about what she did for Diwali or ove the weekend, she would do it, even if she gets no credit for it ! Social networking in the true sense.. :)

So, eliminating post counts for chit chat threads, is defintely not going to stop members from chatting to their friends.. BUT, if a member's intention is to " increase the post count by doing pep talks OR saying hey take care then bye bye " ..guess, those are not accounted as " quality posts " !

The whole idea of quality posts is having some quality to your post huh ? :)

About, why we dont delete such threads ? Your answer - Social networking.. :) Many members, want to keep in touch with their friends here, IL DOESNT DISCOURAGE IT !

Jokes and Forwards, are just to " read, " Shaks ! Even if members dont respond, it is a place where members can take some off-time and have a laugh ! If responses are the only expectations, we wouldnt have members excited and sharing forwards to very this day.. :) You agree ?

Shaks, about Moderating such chit chats.. It is easy to say, pull in more people to keep reading line to line of these threads.. But, the entire role of a Mod is so demeaning there.. Imagine, asking someone to give away a little of their valuable time, to just read through some members discussing about what they cooked and what their son did today ! It may sound exciting in the beggining, but end of the day, the person would simply feel silly to watch over this threads !

Do you know the number of posts that are made in one such theads in one hour ?? You will be shocked. :)

So, if a friend wants to have a pep talk with another, regardless of wether the friend or th community is benefitted with her / his post, he / she would write it anyways.. So, networking will never diminish.. So, just trying to increase post count by one liners, is bad taste..

Malathy,

Good move.. I guess, every thread related to pep talks that are moved to Community chit chats.. could be glanced once in while by the regional Mods who were already taking care of those respective ones.. Moreover, I am sure, our members wouldnt use silly ways to share email ids in public, for they know " someone is defenitely watching " ;)

How about leaving a one month " thread moved option " ( sticky ) in each of the forums where these threads already exist.. Like, for ex. let us say, a member straight visits her / his region to catch up with people of her language / state etc. She might not even know there is something called Community chit chats then.. So, when there is a thread already present there.. maybe she clicks on it, she will will be directed to the Community chit chat thread.. She can go ahead posting then..

I know, it wont hold good for members who join in after a months ! :)

Else, a announcement kind which usually is seen for the contests and threads on the upper side of the page in colours.. Saying - Visit Community chit-chats to catch up with people from your region or whatever .. I thought this way , no member would lose out on their favourite friends and pep talks..

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  5. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

hi ,

in my opinion , if nothing is lost materially [ maintenance & technical wise ] from INDUS LADIES side , there is no need to cut down the post count , let it be as it is.

if you yourself labelling these threads as useless ones , then why IL need to allow this ???? can IL be without this section ???? if the answer is no , then think of its contribution & weightage . yes , i too agree that it cannot be rated as so useful thread , but everything cannot be viewed in a PROFIT MOTIVE and members participating in those threads also do take some time & effort .

just as a token or bonus or a credit whatever you name it is , can be given to its members.
    or else , what about changing the current status system of IL like silver & gold , in to , can you give the rating according to their quality posts like some other sites do ???

like members postings in useful threads - high 2 points & in community chitchat - low - 1 point like that ??? already many members are dissatisfied with the paid pms & no policy to pictures & all , at this juncture this elimination will add fuel to it. please think twice. instead of eliminating it completely , kindly bring in a new system according to the quality or importance or weightage. it would be highly appreciable.

thankyou.

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sadhu,
    You have raised this point in your first post

if this is the case what about the one or two liners posts like , " YOUR COLLECTION IS AWESOME AND THANKS FOR SHARING .

Please make a note that the moderators follow up such posts & send that member a MC (moderator's comments). It was just an hour back that I posted a stern warning to one who has been posting such one-liners.
    The next step may be infraction.

Now coming to your next post
    can you give the rating according to their quality posts like some other sites do ???

What is the criterion to rate the quality of the posts? It is next to impossible, to arrive at a consensus.. Can we have a moderator exclusively to assess??Not feasible at all.
    Ours being a unique site in every way, let us not compare with other sites.

Irrespective of paid PM, eliminating post count for chit-chat threads, members 'devoted to IL' will continue here, without any regret. 'Social networking' will continue definitely. That is what many want, right?
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Chitra Aunty - I totally agree with the above statement. I'm going to continue to post in the thread that I started for having a good Manglish conversation. I'm sure others who wish to talk will do the same! As far as I'm concerned, I get some great energy communicating with friends. On the other hand I would like to reserve the post counts for other posters like Ansuya who actually take the trouble to post detailed analysis, provide great pointers and most of all do it with great class.

8. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Sadhana,

" useful posts " and " Profit motive " are two different things..

By saying useful, all of us here mean, useful to the community and not to Malathy's wallet ! :)

So, elimininating post count for chit chat is no way related to revenue .. Period.

You asked wether IL can be without this section.. Probably it did once upon a time ! Too many chit chat threads started off very recently.. So, if all you wish to know wether it can survive without members ( including me ) discussing what they did over the weekend or how each of us are- YES.. It can !

Then, why do we have such threads - As Shakambari said, SOCIAL NETWORKING, GIRL ! :thumbsup

If the Admin, agrees to the fact where we members think we could chat with friends on a thread and maintain a cordial relationship just here in IL or beyond it, you think she is wrong ? No. She is just encouraging friendship ! How can that be wrong.

But, when it comes to status of members and people just logging to get their post count to a sky rise..then their intention itself is wrong, isnt ?

So, if you or me dont care about post count and all we care is to stay in touch with friends, why would we bother about the post count for such threads being eliminated ? Think .. :)

End of the day, friends are freinds isnt ? Regardless of our post counts. What say ? :thumbsup

About quality of posts, I guess Chitra Ma'am has explained..

So, continue your participation and say HI to friends.. :hiya

9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sadhana & Shakambari,

Appreciate your different thoughts on this subject. I guess with a few moderators pitching in to respond here you would have got more clarity.

It doesn't mean IL is branding chit-chatting as useless or is against it. We understand it is nice to network and know what's happening with a co-IL'ite day-in and day-out. Also, we are not against someone showing their appreciation/acknowledgment for another co-members work. That's the reason we encouraged such postings in the first place.

Unfortunately, when a few members go overboard with those kind of postings merely to increase their post count and hence the member status, it makes no sense or provides no motivation to those quality posters (making useful posts for many) to maintain their standards. So we are forced to bring in some new rules regarding the accountability of postings towards member status.

Having said that, we are going to act right now on elimination of post counts for chit-chat threads based on many members suggestions here. We will also soon work on a similar set-up for those one-line appreciation/acknowledgment threads.

10. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,

Just to summarize how we are going to act on chit-chat threads...

1. All chit-chat type threads (irrespective of language and irrespective of the forum it is presently sitting) will be moved into the "Community Chit-Chat" forum (with a redirect that would expire in a month - just for the members to take a note of the move).

2. This move will be reducing the post count of those members who had been participating in the Chit-Chat type threads to the extent of their participation there.

3. Posts/threads made in the (past as well as in the future in) Community Chit-Chat forum will not be accounted to the members post count / status. Participation in Chit-Chat threads/forum are entertained ONLY for networking, making friends, knowing about each other, etc.

4. All members purely based on their interest levels may continue to chit-chat in the existing threads or start new threads (as required) ONLY in the Community Chit-Chat forum. Chit-Chat threads started in other forums will be moved to this forum by the moderators as they notice it.

We will be making this effective from Friday Oct 23rd 2009 onwards. If you see decrease in your post count on Friday, please be aware it is due to this change taking effect.