1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Amavasai ravule....

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Rrg, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Amavasai ravule....

"Sir ! Enga Poreenga?", heard a voice and turned around to see who it was.
    The voice came from behind the closed doors of a nearby tea stall.
    Could not see anyone.
    It was already around 10.30 PM and the entire stretch was deserted. The street lights were few and far between, reluctantly spreading minimal light around. These lights, further filtered by the leaves of the roadside trees, threw shadows dancing on the road, in tune with the breeze. The atmosphere was quite eerie.
    "Thottam Patti povanum," I replied in the general direction.
    "Thottam Pattiya? Neenga enna paithiyama? Allathu intha oorukku puthusaa?", so saying a human figure emerged out of the stall. Guessed from his face that he would be around 60. Medium height.
    Had fully covered himself with a bed sheet, excepting his face. Could not make out much in such a diffused light.
    "Don't you know today is Amavasya and it would be a risky to travel at night in this stretch?", he continued.
    The stranger suggested my staying back with him in the tea stall for the night and travel the next morning.
    "Illai! konjam avasara velai. I have to necessarily go", I replied.

As per him, on Amavasya nights many a mysterious death had taken place in the dense stretch ahead - between where we were standing and the next village, 'Thottam Patti'. Invariably, the targets were those who were travelling alone. It was generally believed by the villagers, to be the handiwork of some blood thirsty "ghosts".

"Earlier, I used to close the tea-shop by sunset on Amavasya days and rush home. Aanaa, sila maasama I am staying back in my tea stall on such nights to warn any unwitting traveller, like you, who happen to come by. There had been no more gory deaths since then. I consider it my duty to the society and am pleased with the result".
    "Unga udhavikku romba thanks, Sir. Aanaal, for one, I do not fear any ghosts. Also, I have some urgent work in Thottam Patti and am already late. My people would be worried incase I don't reach tonight", I replied and started moving.
    On realising that persuasions had no impact on me, he said, "You look young and don't understand the danger lurking ahead. But I don't want you to travel alone. If anything untoward happens to you, I can never forgive myself. Instead, I will also come with you. The ghost will not attack when we are together. My house is in the village next to Thottam Patti. I would safely reach you home and then go further".
    " It is very nice of you to say so, Sir. But, don't worry about me. You stay back to warn if any other traveller comes by", I replied.
    More I tried to dissuade him, more adamant he became. He picked up a torch and a sickle, locked the tea-stall and was ready to leave.
    "The torch would atleast help us see in the dense stretch and this sickle is to protect us, incase any robber attacks. For all you know, this 'ghost killings' could be the handiwork of some smart thief as well; what do you say?"
    He handed the torch over to me, kept the sickle with himself and off we went.

Next day, I went back to the tea stall and noticed few people gathered outside. The stall was closed.
    One villager was explaining to another, "Adha yen ketkringa? Pavum Kuppan. Inga tea kadai vachchirundaan. Ivvalavu naalum Amavasya ravule ingaye thangi yaraiyium antha paei kitta maattama kaappathik kittu irunthaan. Adunaale kobam konda andha paeye, avanai emaththi azhachchittu poyi, netththu rathiri bali vaangittadha santhegap padaraanga. Kuppan was found dead this morning in the same stretch. Who knows what happened?".
    I disappeared into thin air, with an all knowing smile.
    Would be back once again, next Amavasya night, for my 'urgent work'.
    Marakkamaa aduththa amavasai rathrikku thaniya indha pakkam vaanga.
    Illainna unga addressa yavathu theriya paduthunga. Naane ungalai thedi vaaren. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    See you, then !

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rrg,

OMG....tooo eerie..good I didn't read in the night.

Good narration...kept me hooked to the monitor and at the edge of the seat...

3. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Lalitha,
    Thanks for the compliments.
    Perhaps you may like to read my other story Gopu & the ghost - posted under the thread "Re: A peep into the world of ghosts! " for some relief.
    Rgds,
    RRG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  4. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks.
    Posted this story for a change.
    Don't worry.
    Most of my stories that I propose to post in this forum are the ones meant to bring a smile in the face of the reader - not a scare.:)
    Cheers!
    Rrg

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rrg,
    I think you are another Indra sownderrajan , who is an expert write in writing about supernatural things.
    One case written by you is the mistaken identity of a man to a ghost. now a ghost!!! I had a eerie feeling. so nicely narrated the twist at the end.
    with love
    pad

6. supriyaakp

supriyaakp Bronze IL'ite

Achchacho, idhu pei story nu theriyaama padichutene, dhayavu senju en veetu pakkam vandhudadheenga please pei.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  7. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks to Padminiji for the compliment.
    You are really a great encouragement.
    (Enne vachchu comedy keemadi onnum pannaliye, madam?:))

Supriyaji, Don't worry. Indha ghost thannai madhichchu koopitaal dhaan veedu thedi varum. :biglaugh
    Cheers!
    Rrg

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear Rrg,

very good one..really spooky and thrilling end..i enjoy both humour and ghost stories so liked all your stories:thumbsup

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  9. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks, Mindi.
    Pleased to note that you liked all my stories.
    Hope you read my story, 'Doctor! Doctor!!" under fiction as also "Sweet are the uses of adversity" under non-fiction. These could give some comic relief from ghosts.:)
    Cheers!
    Rrg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Raju

Good one. Enjoyed reading it.

viji