1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Sense of Belonging

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Paulina, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Grandma’s definition of LOVE as she knew it meant belonging totally to the person , in every sense, ,emotional and physical besides accepting wholeheartedly all objects that came into this orbit, be it pleasant or unpleasant . I never knew the meaning of this word or the depth of feeling attached to this till I became a wife and mother and mistress of my own home.
    My childhood memories are my favourite memories of summer vacations in Kerala in our sprawling ancestral home from the time I can remember , way back as a seven year old little girl. Those sun filled happy days of romping around the vast garden , climbing the mango trees plucking the warm golden fruit and sinking my teeth into the luscious depths and licking the delectable juice as it flowed down my hands .
    The annual visits with my two elder siblings, ten year old elder sister Maya, and twelve year old elder brother Ravi were uninterrupted till I entered class 10 at school. In fact I visited my grandparents on two consecutive years all by my self as my sister and brother had to stay back at Bangalore to attend coaching classes for the public exams each had to appear for .Father and mother were very strict about that and I was packed off so as not to distract them.
    I never really knew Grandpa , as he was ensconced in his room all the time due to his ill health. Grandpa and Grandma lived alone in the big house. By alone, I mean none of their children stayed with them.
    Uncle Prem was in USA, Aunty Malathy in Indore and my father the youngest of the three was stationed in Bangalore. Both mother and father were doctors and had their own Nursing Home and medical practices there.
    Well, actually except for their children not being with them, my grandparents had their own little Durbar that comprised their dog Leo the Labrador , their jolly cook Devakiamma, and her husband Chinnan and nephew Kuttan who did all the odd jobs around there. Chinnan also doubled up as chauffeur and took us around in the ancient Ambassador car on our outings around Trichur town.
    Grandpa had been a luminary in the legal profession and retired as Chief Justice. His hey days were over by the time I appeared on the scene, so that is why I have to say sadly that I hardly knew Grandpa. For me, Grandma was all I knew as far as Grandparents went as my maternal Grandparents had long departed for their heavenly abode.
    I was Grandma’s pet , being the youngest of her little brood of grandchildren. Aunty Malathy’s children, my twin cousin brothers nine year old Arjun and Vikram most often joined us for summer holidays . Our cousins in the USA were not very regular as their holidays did not coincide with ours and they always came down during the Christmas holidays for fleeting visits lasting just a fortnight so I can honestly claim that I was Grandma’s favourite .
    She loved to comb my hair and took pains to brew the special coconut hair oil with hibiscus leaves for me. My sister Maya kept her hair short and had no time for all the oiling sessions .Devakiamma always packed the hair oil for me when I left for Bangalore saying “Tara kutty , make sure you follow Ammamma’s instructions and use it”
    I always remember Grandma going about her daily household chores chanting slokas and humming to herself as she moved about from kitchen to other areas setting things in order.She was dressed in cool cotton Mundu and Neriyadhu the traditional Kerala attire , especially of elderly ladies like herself .I have only seen photographs of her dressed in sarees and blouses with puffed sleeves in her younger daysHer curly grey hair was always tied neatly in a bun except in the early mornings after her bath when she let it lose and it stayed at waist length.Her forehead was replendent with the sandal paste and kumkum after her morning prayers.There was always a fragrance of sandal and camphor around her.I loved to play with her hair and subject her to my own versions of hairstyles .I remember tying ribbons on her hair and rubbing her cheeks and lips with pieces of beetroot ( donated by kind Devakiamma from the kitchen) to make them dark pink …a substitute for lipstick and the way we laughed till Grandpa’s call “ Padma hurry up and come here” made us stop our little girl games.
    I hated these interruptions from Grandpa which were incessant .Poor grandma, she was patience personified .I had never seen her angry at any time except once when my brother Ravi and my twin cousins had a fight one afternoon just outside Grandpas room .It was a terribly noisy brawl and she was most upset.
    Grandpas illness made him confined to his room and I remember Father saying it had something to do with his spine and except for alleviating the pain , there was no cure.Father and mother , both doctors tried everything they could to get him the best treatment and some surgeries were performed.Once they even took him all the way to Chennai and Vellore.But there was no hope, was the final verdict.
    We children went to his room only accompanied by Grandma.When he was in a better frame of mind , he would smile at us and ask a few questions and that was all.I remember him, his gaunt face crowned by wispy white hair and his wasted arms as he held out a hand to clasp our little hands as we trooped in .Leo alone often went in and lay under his bed during the afternoons for his siesta. That was the only time he was allowed to visit Grandpa whom he doted on. They had spent a good many happy years together on long walks.
    When he was in pain , his ill temper would be vented on poor Grandma who put up a stoic front. She was always alert to the slightest sound from his room and his hoarse cry of “Padma” would bring her scurrying to his room .Father got a calling bell fixed for him with a wire extending to his bedside , but he always forgot to ring and continued to call for her .So Kuttan the errand boy was given duty hours to sit by Grandpas bedroom and come and get Grandma when ever he needed her.
    Grandma was an object of great sympathy with us and we wondered how she bore with Grandpas demands and his bad temper. But she never stopped smiling and regaling us kids with bedtime stories and anecdotes from fathers childhood years which we loved to hear over and over again.
    We, children were all rather afraid of Grandpa and avoided going in to his room especially after we were witness to a rather unpleasant scene when he threw the mug of Horlicks at Grandma because she had reduced the amount of sugar in it according to the doctors orders .Grandma emerged from the room looking harrased, mug in hand , with her drenched clothes but never uttered a word in reply , only chanted a sloka !
    She never let any of it get her down or spoil things for us and as usual immersed herself in churning out delicious snacks and excellent dishes at all meal times ably assisted by the jovial Devakiamma.This made us all feel awfully guilty when the time of departure arrived and somehow we all felt we were abandoning her.
    I shall always remember the forlorn picture she presented as she stood by the gate after we hugged and said our tearful goodbyes, a small figure waving to us as the car sped away to the railway station.
    The years rolled on. Grandpas death was as unreal to me as his life had been. I can still remember the shrill ring of the telephone that cold December night as Father picked it up and spoke in a muffled tone.After he had finished he turned grim faced to mother and said in a choking voice, “That was Chinnan's call .Bad news Sumi, Father has left us…I shall leave soon and bring Amma back here….how can she live alone there? Meanwhile connect me to Prem and Malathy, they have to be informed .Hope Prem can make it on time.”
    Father returned after several days after attending all the ceremonies, but he did not succeed in bringing Grandma with him .No amount of coaxing would change her mind. Grandma refused to shift to Malathy aunty’s place and ofcourse going to USA to live with Uncle Prem was just not possible.Father made sure that other distant relatives would visit often and enquire about her welfare and then ofcourse the devoted Devakiamma and Chinnan and Kuttan were there too.
    And I thought that Grandma would be free to do as she wished, no harassment, no worrying about Grandpas ill temper tantrums.She would be a free bird after all those years of an invisible bondage.
    I made a short trip in summer as I had to make preparations to leave for higher studies to UK on a scholarship and I wanted to say goodbye and seek her blessings..Grandma seemed anything but happy.It was as if the vitality or the will to live had been sapped away from her.She would often be found sitting in Grandpas room which was left as he had left it.His four poster bed with the frilly mosquito net was still there as if waiting for him to come and sleep on it.His chair was as usual by the window from where he looked out at us kids at play .Grandma seemed always lost in thought as if frozen in time, even the faded curtains had not been changed since long That was a sad summer vacation for us , the sun seemed to have hidden behind clouds and the laughter that used to ring around there when we were kids running around having long vanished giving way to long ominous silences.Even good old Leo hardly had reason to wag his tail.
    The day before I left I set out in a determined way to extricate Grandma from the web into which she had willingly allowed herself to be trapped .She had been living life in the sepia toned photographs of her old albums.With the impatience of youth that could not tolerate her attitude to the world she had decided to live the rest of her life.I questioned her heartlessly, “ Grandma how long are you going to stay here by yourself? Why don’t you lock up this place, the servants can maintain it, and why don’t you come over to Bangalore and stay with us? We can take Leo there too. Come live with us who love you very much.You will have more diversions there.We have to worry more about you now and we are all leading busy lives and we’ll be less stressed if we know that you are with us so that we can attend to your needs .It is difficult for Father to travel often here to see you “.
    Grandma was silent for a minute after my outburst and then she sighed and said to me, “Tara , I appreciate your concern and I know you all mean well, But , dear child this is my home .Why should I go to a strange place?”
    “ Strange place? Grandma, you are talking about your own son’s home as a strange place!!”I retorted angrily.
    “Yes Tara. I know I’ll be welcomed by my son and your mother too , but I’ll always be a guest there and I will not belong ! This house is where your Grandpa and I belong”.
    “ Grandpa , grandpa always, why don’t you understand Grandma, you need to have your own life now, Haven’t you spent the best years ministering to him?”
    “Yes dear child I did my wifely duties sincerely.You are too young to understand. But to me , this house and your grandpa was all I had, once the children left home. He was the only person who was mine .”
    I just could not digest that and asked “ What about Uncle Prem, Malathy Aunty and my Dadf?’They are not your own? “
    She replied slowly in a very resigned tone , “ One has children , but they grow up and become someone elses when they find their own partners. And there’s nothing wrong in that, That’s the way of the world. It is not that the love for children or their love for parents become less .The bonds of love take on a different pattern.It is an universal law And my dear child, I’ll be just as alone in any of your homes . At least here I will feel close to him in all the familiar surroundings and the people who have been with us all these years .I cannot desert them either.We all belong here together”.
    That was her final word and I left disheartened and resentful at Grandmas attitude.
    I left for UK three weeks later.It was during the third year after I had landed myself a well paying job that I met Tony who was Irish , at a common friends New Year Party. We hit it off well and after a whirlwind courtship decided to get married. It was a simple church wedding. My parents and elder brother arrived a week earlier from India.and my elder sister Maya just flew in for the ceremony and rushed back to New York where she was working as an Attorney.It was a very happy family reunion as Uncle Prem and family also made it .We remembered Grandma .She had sent beautiful wedding gifts .One of her own traditional Kerala jewellery sets and a lovely rich brocade saree in beetroot pink and gold ! I wore it for the dinner party after wards.
    I kept in touch with Grandma through letters and a few phone calls.She was not comfortable on the phone as her hearing was getting faint .I sent her several pictures after my little girl Tanya was born .Slowly her replies became few and far between .The last letter conveyed the sad news of the passing away of dear devoted Leo who was the pet of that household where even the domestics doted on him.I knew she had not long to go and dreaded the fact that it would be long before I could make a trip to Kerala and I wondered if I would ever see her.I wanted Tony to meet her.Till now their only means of communication was the telephone and the pictures we used to send her.
    One winters day as we drove home from work after picking up Tanya from day care, I was surprised to see my father’s number flashing on my cell phone .Tony was driving and I answered Dad who gave me the sad news of Grandmas passing away .
    No , she was not ill or hospitalized .She left silently in her sleep where old faithful Devakiamma found her in bed that morning.
    I was devastated and tears began streaming down my cheeks as I sobbed uncontrollably and told Tony that Grandma was no more. Tony stopped the car and gathered me in his arms .In the midst of that grief it was as if a warm blanket of assurance and security had enveloped me. As I lay there I understood the meaning of Grandmas words.and what she meant when she said that Grandpa was hers alone .I looked at Tanya,asleep and strapped onto her little her car seat and I knew that one day she would leave my orbit and only we, Tony and I would be there for each other. Her words echoed in my mind…..” that’s the way of the world, it is an universal law.”.I found consolation in the fact that she had finally gone to be with the one she belonged to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
    satchitananda likes this.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Paulina
    I have always known you to have immense talent and can write incredibly well.. this one takes the crown.
    My eyes are covered with tears when I read that grandma passed away.. my only consolation being she has gone to where she belongs.
    Your superb narration has taken me through the holidays and playing with grandma and rubbing beetroot on her cheeks and ribbons on her hair .. I also watched along with you when grandma was harried running to and fro from her husband's bed.
    I can only imagine the pain and sorrow and utter lonelyness when the spouse departs.. I am thankful you ended this superb narration with the universal law. Yes it is.
    Thanks dear for starting of my New Year with a wonderful literary gift from you.

3. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

AC dearie,:hiya

That was one super FB that swept me off my feet !!

THAAAAAAAAAAAAANK UUUUUUUUUUUUU ever so much!:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

I wrote something like this years ago and made some changes now and Zapped it in here.....additions after becoming a grandma and getting on in years and changing my views ever so often on the way the earth turns around on its axis!
    Very happy to see your words of appreciation.......shall be cherished always !

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My Dear Rani Paulina Amma
    Wow:bowdown:bowdown it is just superb.
    the way you write itself is very interesting to read.
    Plucking mangoes and the beetroot thing is very funny but was sad to read after grandpa passed away, and she preferred to live alone and not join her kids. She is a self made woman.
    I read it when the font was small it was so interesting that I couldn't stop when I started reading it...........hehehe
    This is my second fb to you I wrote once and the current went off Big Laugh
    Now with:coffee wrote the second oneBig Laugh
    It was a wonderful story and beautiful narration Lalitha Habibi..........
    Keep them coming more and more

5. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear Paulina,
    I had to read this story of yours at one go.Iam spellbound.You have painted in words the beauty of Kerala,the ageless beauty that belongs to Kerala alone, without minimising or lessening its magical effect on the beholder, a great painting would have achieved.I still have not come out of that sprawling bungalow and its vast garden .
    My dear Paulina,
    Tara and her cousins were lucky to enjoy the abundant beauty of the place and the affection of a lovely family .Her parents who inspite of a busy career had the time and inclination to guide their children in the right path,her siblings,her grand father who commanded respect even in his old age,her grand mother deceptively simple ,timid person who knew what she wanted in her life and who would sacrifice some comforts by not opting to go and live with either of her children and who opted to live in the ancestral home where she lived with her husband,the domstic helps who were simple folks...They are now etched in my memory.It is a blessing to have them in my heart,safe, for I know not when either one of them will hold me by hand and make me write something.
    Tara's grand father also would have loved his wife deeply.His failing health and his helplessness and his irritation that he had to depend on others for his movements took toll on his patience.Only a great person,a well read,kind and patient person would have risen to occupy that high a position which he did.Your grandmother!
    A personification of patience,kindness,tolerance and more than anything else ,the milk of human kindness flowing from all the pores in her body and soul!Such people only live even after their death ,in the hearts of people who were fortunate enough to know them.
    Iam not surprised that Tara broke down on hearing the news of her grandmother's demise.The last paragraph in which you have explained how Tara got to understand what her grandmother meant when she said that she wanted to live in her home made me actually tremble.Yes,marriage do alienate close relatives.
    Before my marriage I thought that I would never be able to live without my mother and my brother.Now ,my priorities have changed,it is my husband,my children and my in laws.
    A great post,Paulina,an unforgettable story,bearing your stamp in every sentence that you have crafted.
    love
    mithila

6. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Paulina,

With tears.. Simply superb !

What a narration ... as if I am witnessing the scene with you ! Wonderful !!

Yesterday... I was talking you and your command over the language, style with our IL-friend... Now I am reading your words. May be concidence or telepathy.... but the very fact is I am very happy today !!

You are simply rocking.... Great to hear from you dear !

With lots of love and regards..

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

My Dear Pauli,

I read your post in one breath and like my dear friend AC even my eyes were filled with tears!

My heart had already got heavy when I read about your grandpa being confided in one room due to his spine problem! I did not hate him or got angry on him when he splashed the mug filled with horlicks on your grandma! Her silence and prayers means she knew that his sufferings were much more than him. She could always rest after running around the house with other chores and being there at his beck and call, while her husband can not run or even walk! The prayer must be to ease the pain that grandpa is going through mentally! Being a successful justice, life must have been hectic and demanding for him at one times, now he had all the time in the world and to spend it laying on a bed was not what he had wished for.

Grandma could never leave the house because she was married not only to the man but also to his memories. Today, even I can relate to this part of the post as I also feel my mother is here with me and taking care of me!

Sometimes strangers maketh a part of your life, the cook and other attendants were absorbed by grandma as family members and Leo too!

The last paragraph of the post actually walked with the crown!

Pauli, you always have a way with words and now once again you have conveyed a very important message to the members of IL through this post.

8. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Dear Paulina,
    What a wonderful story. I was there with Tara enjoying her summer holidays in kerala. playing carefree with her grandma's hair, and scared seeing grandpa throw the horlicks.. your writing is so vivid. It takes on a journey with Tara.
    I can understand how grandma is attached to the house and the surroundings, my grandma was the same! It brings back fond memories of my childhood too. Kindling our feelings of home and hometown, sitting so far away in a different land.
    The last paragraph though explains the intense feelings that Tara has and is finally able to understand why grandma wouldnt leave the place.
    Wonderful flow of language!!!
    Keep writing,
    Love
    Aparna

9. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Dear Lalitha Chechi,:hiya

Finally you have blessed us with a post of yours , one that I have been keenly waiting to read. A wonderful treat to all of us for the New year!!:cheers:cheers

And what a treat !!

Loved the description of Namhalude Naad. :cheers:cheers

Chechi your language is simply superb!! I thoroughly enjoyed your story.:thumbsup

Very nice to read about Ammumma, but very very sad to read about her demise.

Chechi ,your style of writing, your description ,reminded me of Arundhati Roy's 'God of small things'. I guess I am writing an Fb to a future Booker prize winner.:thumbsup

Looking forward to more stories from you!!

Love,
    Devikutty

10. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Paulina

That was lovely watching the young Tara enjoying the warmth of her grandmother who prepared the special coconut oil with hibiscus, the braiding sessions, applying make-up with beetroot. You have woven magic in your writing just as Tara's Grandma wove her plaits. :thumbsup

It appears that Grandpa might have been a loving person in his younger days. Grandma understood that his disbility and the helpless feeling due to it as the cause for his outbursts. She seems a personification of patience and understanding.

With most of their children living far away, isn't it sadly becoming more common that many seniors feel uncomfortable when uprooted from their familiar surroundings.

Grandma would be an ideal role model for Tara as she continues her life journey with Tony.