1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Dismal House -- Part 1

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Life, like Einstein's vision of the universe, has a way of turning back on itself. Or else, why should Manish have ended up buying an apartment so close to the dismal house that stood at the crossing of S.N. Roy Road and Palm Street in Kolkata. It was a white-washed, two storied house, with two rows of windows on the first and the ground floor, all painted green. Architecture wise, the house had little to commend for itself even during its salad days. Now, however, it had clearly fallen on bad times. The green paint on the windows had pretty much surrendered to the ravages of time and the walls bore a dirty grey look. Besides, the ivy that climbed down all the way to the ground level from the terrace did not receive much attention either. It looked more like a collection of dried twigs clinging on to the southern face of the house, with little patches of green desperately trying to survive, reviving memories of happier times.

The house badly needed a repair job, but few appeared to be interested in its restoration. The windows were permanently closed and the single one on the first floor, through which a light glimmered in the evenings, revealed nothing but mystery lurking behind the grimy curtain that cut off the house from the flow of life that surrounded it. To Manish's mind, the house bore an uncanny resemblance to Miss Havisham's residence in Dicken's Great Expectations. He couldn't help wondering what lay inside the single lighted room. Was daylight banished from it forever as Pip had discovered in the room Miss Havisham occupied? Did someone sit there in her decayed wedding dress and 'sick fancies', advising an Estella or the other to 'break his heart'?

He wished he could avoid the house, but it stood stubbornly on the only street that led to the grocery store nearest to his home. And each time he passed in front of the house for the five years that he had spent in the locality, he found it hard not to stare at the building and wonder about the tightly closed windows and the only door that led to its interior.

A century seemed to have passed by since he had walked out of that door for the last time. The house was still incomplete at the time, but Shyamali's family had already moved into the ground floor. The construction of the first floor was probably held up on account of fund shortages, her father having been a person who belonged to the lower rungs of middle class existence.

Manish's family, on the other hand, was far worse off. They hid behind a facade of middle class dignity, but in truth had little to hang on to. Manish was used to waiting for the clothes and shoes his elder brother and older cousins had outgrown and he did his best to cover up his material wants by pressing his threadbare trousers and polishing his worn out shoes every time he presented himself before the world. He must have been a pathetic sight, he recalled now with a sardonic smile, and perhaps looked no better than Pip himself when he was called upon to play with Estella.

Shyamali had been no Estella though. Neither pretty nor unfriendly, she was a plumpish girl with brown cat-eyes that didn't seem to suit a dark haired Bengali girl. Yet, her eyes did possess an attractive shine about them and Manish was never sure if the spectacles she wore had a role to play in the matter. On retrospect, Manish felt Shyamali's looks never concerned him too much, though he enjoyed her lively company as much as anyone else. It was plain friendship with not a trace of romance on the part of either individual.

Till that is Sunil took a special interest in the psychology of Manish's relationship with Shaymali.

Will hopefully continue ...

2. smileypooja

smileypooja Senior IL'ite

Hi!!

The story started with manish taking a flat which was a nice and neat flat which had a taste of hapiness in the past....but,there is a twist in the story where the bad times starts...:spin

wow..:thumbsupyou have a ver good memory when you related the house to Miss.Havisham's home...

Looking forward to know how the story turned into after manish and shayamali's friendship...how sunil helped them..or what was his role ?:hide:

pooja.

3. ojaantrik

To smileypooja:

Let's see where it takes us.:)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ojaantrik,

Logged in after a short break and rushed to read a serial from you. Glad you are back and writing here.

The story started off with a lot of promise. I loved your references to Great Expectations and Miss Havisham and her house. Like Smileypooja said, it is amazing you remember all that so well. I had to brush up on it, thanks to this reference of your's.

But you surely are an expert at disappearing act it seems! Just as I rushed to your following episode on the Dismal House, you simply escaped like the Houdini! If I remember right, you did the same thing last time.

Dear sir, how about giving us the full story and let it rest with us. I am sure that over a time, you will have enthralled readers.

As for me, I am still walking by the dismal house and still wondering about the mysteries of the shrouded window!

All the best.

L, Kamla

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ,

Man that was rivetting.Let us see what happens next.Regards.kamal

6. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Oj Uncle,

I feel like saying better to be late as I got all the parts of this story ready for me, now...

So interesting...Going to the second part...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  7. ojaantrik

Dear Kamla:

This is the hardest piece of fiction I have tried so far. Let me see if I can deliver. I know the end of the story. But I am still struggling with the ways to reach the end.

All the best.

oj