1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diwali Happiness !!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by brindhak, Oct 29, 2008.

1. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Diwali Happiness !!

The aroma of sugar and ghee flavored the air in and around Vandhana’s home.. It was really a Sweet Home now. Vandhana was garnishing her Barfi ,never minding her sweat. She collected all her recipe notes and checked whether she had made all the 5 sweets as per the instructions.She was a perfect homemaker and a mother of a teenager, but a biased lady many times.Praneeth her son was busy with his video games but the flavored air made him to peep the kitchen often .

Shemba removed her half torn slippers outside the door and went into the kitchen to give her attendance.. She carried on her chores without waiting for Vandhana’s words.She was busy cleaning Praneeth’s cupboard….Where is Muthu Akka..? Why are'nt you bringing him here these days ? asked the smart boy..Muthu is not well ,replied Shemba in a fluctuated voice,How can she say that his Mom asserted not to bring Muthu with her... Vandhana doesn’t like Praneeth to have friendship with Muthu, the poor guy..Shemba sighed and returned to the Kitchen….

Vandhana carefully took only one sweet from each of the five boxes.. wrapped in a polythene bag and gave it to Shemba.... Shemba stood there for a while..Vandhana raised her eyebrows..which meant Whatelse do you need…??? I asked for the money to all the people I knew Vandhana ma… No body are ready to give even a penny...Muthu is daily asking me about the Diwali dress and crackers… If you give 1000 Rs, It will be very helpful ..She asked helplessly.. Vandhana's face changed…Look Shemba I told you already.. No bonus for us this year.. So I cannot give you any money so don’t repeat this again.Shemba left with painful heart. Her last hope was slowly dying..

Muthu ran from the hut seeing his Mom..“Amma where is the new dress,, Where are the crackers?.he asked anxiously…She hugged him and tears streamed down her dark cheeks , her heart bleeded thinking her infeasibility..She quickly hided the tears..and brought a synthetic smile…I will try to get all that you need tomorrow Muthu..Now go and play…He saw his Mom suspiciously and ran away….

Why are you breaking your piggy bank Praneeth ? asked Vandhana in a big tone..You said you are saving for your birthday to buy a new videogame and whats wrong now…? Praneeth looked straight into Vandhana's eyes...You are right Amma… But I have decided to spend this money today..Its not for my b’day…Vandhana saw her son with fewlines in her forehead....Praneeth continued not waitng for her next Question.

This money is for Muthu’s dress…. It took few mintues for vandhana to understand what her 14 yr old son was saying…

Yes Amma.. I heard your conversation with Shemba ka…Why did you lie that Dad didn’t get bonus.. Vandhana was speechless….You was very happy when I won the Essay competion in my school last week about “Happiness” . I got the first prize because my essay was about how to make others happy.. You had so much of pride and happiness at that time, me too, But I felt very sad when I heard you.. I don’t want my thoughts to be only in black and white , I want to make it practically possible one, I will surely do whatever is possible for me..…Vandhana’s ego was torn into pieces that minute.. And she still couldn’t believe her son did that…

She grabbed Praneeth and drove to Shemba’s slum..Shemba was litting the rusted lamp inside her small hut…. She was surprised to see Vandhana and Praneeth at the door.. Vandhana holded her hand ..”Im sorry Shemba please have this… She gave a beautiful saree and the money to her…Praneeth gave his pocket money to Shemba.It took some time for Shemba to realize what was happening around her…Muthu ran to the hut from the ground.. He was exicted seeing Praneeth and his Mom in his hut…Vandhana came near him and stuffed a big box of sweets to him..

“Happy Diwali Muthu ", Praneeth hugged him.....The small hut was filled with lots of love , happiness and joy irespective of inactive elements like ego , pride, status , money, caste and creed …

Diwali.. the festival of lights.. has not only illuminated Vandhana’s home but also her mind and soul.

And there are many more Praneeth around us… Its time for parents to inspire their children….

Love ,
    Brindha

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear BK,

So madam sitting in Attur, you are churning out stories for us and illuminating our minds tooo..

This was a good piece... Rightly said... more Praneeth's are there and it is us parents who need to find them and nurture them. Good to know Vandhana realised her msitake and made up for the same too.

Good one for Diwali dear.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  3. anushakmurthy

anushakmurthy New IL'ite

Good one and thought provoking one !!

Many a times, we see women like this who are very narrow minded, they dont realise, the more you give, the more they will get...
    I have personally seen this formula working for me - I would have given money for some ailing child or for some person suffering due to some disease in a temple or a gathering and when I come home, in a few hrs or days, I would get double/triple the amount of money through unexpected sources!!!!!!!!!

It would be nice to have many Praneeth's around in this world!!

Cheers!
    -Anushaa

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Brindha,
    It was alovely treat for diwali from you!Praneeth was so mature and gave a good lesson to his mother.
    Happy ending to a beautiful story -i loved it.

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Brindha
    Its my good fortune you are giving me this sweet treat!
    Really good.... thanks dear:)

6. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Very Nice story for Diwali. We need more Praneet's in this world to open eyes of the vandana's of the world! Happy Deepavali to you!!
    Aparna

7. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Brindha,
    I think today my daughters have conspired to floor me with their wonderful posts. First it was Oviya talking about fragrance. And now you are there with love.
    We learn from our children more often than from our parents or teachers. When my daughter and I go for a bike ride (when she was here it was every day; but now only once in two months when she visits us) we talk about the people around us. My daughter's insights have helped me not only in my writings but also in my life as well.
    And here it is story from another daughter which has made the father cry. Very well presented Brindha.
    Just keep aside and watch what I am going to do now.
    Wish you a very happy Diwali in retrospect.
    love,
    sridhar

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

lovely one brindha...so enjoying at mothers place and i am sure u are going to churn out more and more touching ones...i am sure u had a great diwali...
    love
    Mindi

9. lalithavennkat

lalithavennkat Silver IL'ite

Dear Brindham

Very good story. The son has taught a good lesson to his mother. We need
    more Praneets .

10. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear Lalli..

Thankyou so much for your first Fb dearie..... Im glad you liked the story... People spend a lot on crackers and sweets but hesitate to give even a small amount for the needy !! This made me to write this story !!

thanx a ton ma....