1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Daughter’s Plea

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by malspie, Aug 20, 2008.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Another story from the net of Malspie's collections. Sip your coffee, relax and read further.

Computer TypingComputer TypingComputer TypingComputer TypingComputer TypingComputer TypingComputer TypingComputer TypingComputer TypingComputer Typing

Mehek was busy watching the promo songs on TV, singing them aloud too. Muskaan was hunting for her school books, she had to fix her bag as per the time-table. Manini was crawling on the floor hunting for her favourite toy. The scene was customary in Mandira Saxena’s home and Vanaja’s neighbour who loved the noise of the kids rushing at their door to waive out a ‘bye’ to her.

Van was associated with one of the leading MNC’s in Mumbai and had a routine schedule. She loved the noise of the kids and the tiny hands waving out to her wishing her a ‘good day’. It has been 7 long years and the kids are growing up, with her as their friend and ‘didi’ (elder sister). Van was more attached to Mehek who was just 8 ½ years old when they first met. Muskaan was 4 years younger and Manini 3 years younger to Muskaan.

Though Muskaan was born in this house and Van had been to the hospital to see the baby, she was still more attached to Mehek. Mehek had all the qualities of a loving and caring child, she was a bit naughty and easy going to. Van did find some of her childhood days in Mehek who had shared all her secrets with her favourite ‘didi’.

“Didi, May 23rd is his birthday”, tell me something about him”.

Van never stopped the child from asking such questions, with time she knew it would pass off. She never revealed it to Mandira too.

Every fortnight Mehek would come with a different birth date.

“Mehek Rani, what happened to the 23rd fellow”, Van would tease her.

“It is always good to have competitors and that is why I want to be friendlier with March 14th and Jan 2nd”.

Mehek was 14 and at her age such crushes are accepted.

Van made it sure that Mehek discusses everything with her. “Even I had such crushes”, Van confesses with the kid whose eyes would glow.

“Why you did not take it to marriage?”

Van explained that such crushes die off very soon and they are not taken to marriage level as they show in movies. “Oh! That means I should not be very serious with them, Didi, March 14th has proposed to me”, she exclaimed. “He loves my hair, he always pays compliments to my hair”, Van would stop her from taking any further leaps. She would constantly guide Mehek and see to it that she does make any wrong move.

Mehek would always ask her didi, “Did it happen with you too?”, Van would give false situations and dialogues and cleverly she had kept the boys wandering around Mehek at bay. She knew that Mehek admires her and will follow her advice. Van at 27 was a very pretty and independent woman, who was a must in the party circle and had a large group of friends, who dressed to kill and had a respectful position in her company much to the envy of her neighbours.

Mehek had told her secretly, “My mom wants me to get married by the time I reach 22, but, didi, I want to be independent like you, earn and enjoy life and then get married”

Vans was a constant teacher-friend of Mehek. She had won the place of a good friend in the child’s heart and at the same time she was always guiding the child. “earning is not easy, didi, has to put in long hours of working, have to give up all the luxuries of life and slog in office only then she gets the fat pay cheque. It is not boys, songs and dance in office. We have to follow certain discipline…” Mehek’s face fell in despair. She had a different picture of office a hard core movie and TV buff that she was! Can’t blame her!

Mehek was the eldest of the three sisters. Mandira was a selfish mother who would hardly do any work at home and Mehek was given the post of ‘nanny’ to Manini her youngest sister. Right from changing the diaper to putting her to sleep, carrying her on her tiny shoulders, Mehek had to go through the grind. She would do everything like a perfect elder daughter. For every wrong move of Muskaan and Manini, Mehek was caned. She was even accused of negligence for the grades of her sisters in school. She had to clean the table, mop the floor and even had started learning to cook at 12. Education was not important in Saxena family, but was just a tool so that the girls can understand and speak English. Mehak was tired of the ‘mental harassment’ she was going through day after day. Muskaan would give feedbacks of Mehek to her mother. “Mom, she was talking to someone on the phone”, Her mom would grill her for hours and the child had a strong feeling that her mother did not trust her as she trusted her siblings.

Mandira was always busy with her beauty treatments and Kitty Parties. She was loved in the society for being mother of three adorable daughters and taking care of them very admirably!. She would often open her ‘tijori’ and show them to her kids “We have plenty of money and your father is capable of getting you all the richest man of the city”, were the mantras tuned in their eyes.

Van was the only person who knew what care Mandira extended for her kids. Every outing, Mehek had to dress up her younger sisters too. She had no life of her own. She was not allowed to speak to anyone on the phone. She was not allowed to talk to the boys around. She is not a child anymore, Mandira rolled her eyes!

Mehek’s life had come to a drooping circle! At a young age, she had lost all the freedom which other girls enjoyed. She was busy learning to make rotis and cook food, busy teaching her younger sisters and studying her lessons too.

Van had asked Mandira why she treats the eldest of them all like a step daughter. Van was very upset with Mandira. She had no right in their family affairs but could not see a young heart which is all set to fly, going through the ordeal.

Mandira would go to parties, leaving the kitchen and the kids as Mehek’s responsibility. Mehek with wrinkles of worry on her face had come knocking at 10.40 p.m. a bit worried, “Pop and Mom are not answering their mobiles, I am worried, Manini has refused to go to sleep, Muskaan is not eating, I do not know what to do”. Van quickly dialed out their numbers, luckily her father answered “Oh! We are on the way, there is heavy rain and traffic and we could not hear the phone ring, tell the kids we are on the way”. They had gone to attend a felicitation party! It has happened many times and Mehek has always been the door mat on whom the whole family rubbed their feet. Her father had the last word in the family and Mandira was confident that she is giving perfect life for her kids. Only Van knew that Mehek is growing secret wings and is waiting for the day to take the flight! Van is and will always be her guide and friend to offer her shoulders if needed. Mehek has already drifted away from her parents.

The constant pestering at home, the clipping of the kids wings is going to cost Mandira one day. One day this cuckoo will fly, her silent pleas were never heard by her parents.

What is Mandira and her husband grooming her to be! Who is to blame if Mehek takes the long flight! Van prayed that Mandira hears her Daughter’s Plea. There are two more to follow!

2. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

A very touching story. Hard to believe that parents treat their own children like this. Hope this is only fiction and not a real life story...

3. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi Mals,

Could not believe... can parents treat their children like this ??? Very apt title " A Daughter's plea" !!

Liked your words/style !!
    Best wishes...

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

The theme is picked from a real scene in a house! I have seen many selfish parents! All stories come from the realities of life!

Thanks Mythraeyi.

5. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gowri,

There are many things happening in this world, if we keep our eyes open we can see it!

Thanks for writing in.

6. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear malspie,
    Such a wonderful narration,such vivid characterisation!My dear friend my heart aches for mandira.I have seen mandiras ,mals,when we were in Hyderabad and when we were at Pune.Irresponsible mothers.Surely such kids will look out for opportunities to fly away,in that process they may make wrong choices also.God should only guide them.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the story,wish some schools would send it as pamplets to parents or get the article published with permission ofcourse in their house magazines,a must read for all mothers.
    love
    mithila kannan

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

My Dear Mithila,

Your presence in this thread has made me feel happy!!

Your experience in life staying in different places has made you give such beautiful feedback. A frog is always happy in his well, as he thinks that is the world and nothing beyong it exists! Even I have seen such parents in my life and I sincerely feel like asking them to come and read this post! Would love to shoot a picture of their facial expressions and post it in the album here!

The last para of your feedback is the reward for my ONE YEAR STAY in IL. Feeling contended at last!

Thanks dearie for the words of encouragemnt from a talented writer like you is always a treasure.

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Mals,
    When under this situation, this child would sure to make a long flight..

Atleast in this story.,Van is there to help her...but in many cases this would not be the same ..

Wish that Mandhira soon learns and help Mehek out of this situation...

A eye-opener, Mals..

sriniketan

9. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear mals
    A good story dipicting beautifully mahek's emotions. I dont know why some time parents behave like? I have also seen few such cases.

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Sri,

Yes, if not for Van, Mehek would have taken the wrong step long time back. Mandira like mom's live in their own world. Sometimes I feel like making her read the queries I get for Predictions asking "when will i have a child". My heart bleeds when I read and solve those queries, I turn up to god and ask him, "The lady who longs does not have and the lady who has does not know how to nurture the gift of God".

Thanks Sri, your feedback is precious.