1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Megha

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by harinideep, Jan 27, 2016.

1. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

Hi ,
    This is my first story . Please pardon me if my english is not so good. I am just trying my best .

PART 1 :

I close my laptop and look at the time and feel happy as it is tea time . I look out for Hema but she is not at her desk . I pick up my pink cup and take the cofee from vendor and move out of building to take fresh air . I observe people around me . I can see lots of people and can see bright faces as it is Friday evening. There is something magical about friday evenings which makes every working person feel so happy. I remember how me and Madhav used to enjoy our coffee time . I used to long for the evening coffee time and used to enjoy every moment of it .

I feel someone touching me . Oh good , it is Hema . Her look shows that she is little angry with me . Before I could guess on the reason for her anger , she says 'So Madam , you have fixed six defects today and manager is irritated that the rest of us have totally fixed only 7 defects. We got good lecture because of you . I guess , you are the only person who works like this even on friday.' I just take out a small purse and ask her to put 100 bucks in it . We have made a promise that whoever talks about project during coffee time will pay hundred bucks and at the end of month , we would use the amount for seeing movies or going for some bowling place. Hema bites her tongue as she realizes that she spoke about project . We both have a hearty laugh and go to our desks.

I go to the desk and I could see a quick meeting set up by my manager. I take my laptop and go the conference . I could see my manager and delivery manager waiting for me . I wonder why I am only called for the meeting . Anyways , I take a deep breath and enter the room . 'Hi Megha' says my manager . I take my seat and open my laptop thinking whether it would be a status call or a new assignment . My manager says ' You can close the laptop. It is not required'. Uma ,my delivery manager looks at me and says ' Megha , you have been the pillar for our project . Our client is very impressed because of your work . As you know , we are looking for getting another project from them which has a huge budget . They want a technically strong person at onsite till the design phase . They are very particular that you would be the right person and are looking forward to have you at onsite for atleast 4 months. I am feeling very happy for you that you have such a great opportunity' . Both managers looks at me eagerly looking for my reply.

I know that they would be expecting a positive reply from me . Most of my team members are waiting for this opportunity . I think for few minutes ' I am very glad that we are going to work on a new project and I am also very glad that they recognized my hard work . But as you know , I have two kids and I cannot be away from them . I am feeling little sad to deny this but I am sure , there are many waiting for this kind of opportunity and this project will definitely be a success'

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Nice start Harini. best of luck.

3. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

Poor lady!! missing the onsite opportunity!! Waiting for the next episode!! :) And All The Best btw :)

4. inboxsweetee

inboxsweetee Gold IL'ite

More of " I "

1 person likes this.
  5. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

Thanks for reading .. V happy

6. ARIKA

ARIKA Silver IL'ite

Hai harini, Nice start up, keep writing and all the best to you.

7. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Nice start harini. waiting for next part..Keep writing..

8. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Nice start Harini. All the best. Waiting!!!

9. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

PART 2
    When coming out of the conference room , I can see most of my team have left . Sitting in the bus , my thoughts run over how I used to long for onsite opportunity before getting married . Though it is natural to feel sad for leaving this opportunity , the thoughts of leaving family and staying alone seems to be not right option .
    My stop has come and need to get down . After waving good bye to my bus friends , I walk towards my house .Everyday when I reach home Maya and Kavin come running and hug me tight . But today house is so silent . I go to kitchen to see if they are hiding there . May be they are hiding in bed room . Slowly I go to bedroom thinking to scare them . I can see a gift wrap on my bed.
    It strikes that tomorrow is my birthday . I have totally forgotten about it. I slowly open the gift . It is a beautiful silk saree in orange and pink combination , the colors which I love . 'This beautiful saree is for my most beautiful and loving wife ' - a sheet of paper tucked in the gift wrap . With a huge smile , I turn and find Madhav standing behind me . He hugs me and says ' I love you' .
    Madhav has always liked that shyness of mine and as usual in shyness I could not reply to him . He says ' I left kids at your mom's place. Let us go out and I am waiting to see you in this saree . It has been months since you wore a saree '. I hug him with a smile and start getting ready.

Deepu04, vani098, IniyaaSri and 4 others like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Harini, nice start. The short title got my attention in Recent Posts.

Story is easy for my distractable mind to keep track so far. Mood and thoughts described well enough. Women dealing with work-life balance - anyone can related, and also the 100-bucks if you talk about work, plus the "bus friends", and the part of 'liked that shyness'... All relatable. Nice.

Only quibble - very small part 2! :) It is like sometimes Doordarshan serial used to be 18 min instead of usual 22-23. :)

sreeram likes this.