1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Valentine Day

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Writing my 1st story. This is a story I had written a few years back in Gujarati. I am translating it here. Please excuse any literal translation of the phrase instead of native English. I will be writing it in multiple parts.

PART I
    Order! Order!

I woke up hearing the Judge. The case was of Sonali Jadeja vs. Government. Sonali was accused of killing her husband Ramesh. This was not my case. My case was after this one but instead of spending time outside in heat, I thought of sitting in the court itself. Also, the same judge was assigned in my case, so I wanted to know the judge's style.

Sonali Jadeja!

Wow! she is beautiful. Her eyes are like the lens of a camera, just catches you in a single stare. Lips like a closed rose and the petals of the rose open up as she speaks. Beautiful smile and voluptuous figure. A lady that everyone would desire!!

My mind started thinking, how can a girl like this kill anyone?

Judge: Sonali do you have your own counsel?

Sonali: No. This is the first time I am in a court. I have no counsel.

Judge: Ok then the court will assign a lawyer to represent you.

"I will take her case" I don't know how but suddenly I said it loudly.

Me, Hiten Rajput, a young and talented lawyer, gold medalist in LLB and LLM. Have fought 24 cases until now and have never lost a single one. There is a 50 year old record of winning consecutive 24 cases and most people think that i will break the record. I am very careful in the cases i take. I fight for justice and I never take case of criminals.

In the morning, I had seen myself in the mirror - handsome face, 6 pack abs, strong muscles. I go to the gym for 2 hours daily. My father, Rajan Rajput, is the Chairman of Bank of the East. We live in an 4BHK flat at Pali hill. No bad habits only one...sorry 1.5. While I am learning about a case, I need cigarettes and when i win the case, I need a drink.

The judge appointed me to the case. Leaving the courthouse, I lighted up a cigarette. I was cursing myself, why did I take this case? I don't know her, I don't know the case. But there was some attraction in her eyes that suddenly pulled me. I told my assistant Madhok to reschedule, the case for which I was at the court, and then join me in the office.

I went to my parked car to drive back to office. While driving her face was all that my mind was thinking about. I had never fallen in love. While watching movies, I used to think -is this love? In real life, i never got time to fall in love. Mom wants me to marry, but not sure what I am waiting for? For now, it has just been work, work and work!

After reaching office, I lighted up another cigarette. I was thinking about Sonali's case. I asked my paralegal to prepare bond papers for Sonali so I can get her released on bail. Madhok came from the courthouse. I told him to get the papers from the paralegal and submit it in the court. Then I started browsing through the news papers of the past week. Suddenly, I saw that beautiful face of sonali in the newspaper.

Next to the photo, there was a headline and news ---------

"Famous builder Ramesh Jadeja murdered. Wife Sonali arrested.

Yesterday afternoon Bombay's famous builder Ramesh Jadeja got murdered in his own house. His personal physician, Dr Mandke found Mr Jadeja in a pool of blood on his bed. Dr Mandke had gone to give insulin injection to Mr Jadeja for his diabetes. Mr Jadeja's wife, Sonali, was standing nearby with a knife in her hand. Dr. Mandke called the police immediately. Police inspector Shinde says that this is a "Open & Shut" case. The wife was shocked to see the doctor and couldn't follow on her future plans. The police have arrested Mrs. Sonali Jadeja."

"Open & Shut" case, I murmured while lighting my third Cigarette.

2. 28neha

28neha Platinum IL'ite

wow suspense and thrill...nice story Akanksha :)

1 person likes this.
  3. BDivya

BDivya Platinum IL'ite

a very different and interesting start!!! ATB!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

akankasha that was really amazing start up..
    i always appreciate ur writing skill. and this one is superb.
    story seems to be romantic, thriller, suspense.
    but please keep updating regularly.
    thanks

2 people like this.
  5. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

Nice to see a story from you. I always liked your writings. Now i think this story is a bonus to all readers.

Nice start up. All the best Akanksha. Looking forward to read the next part.

1 person likes this.
  6. uma1966

uma1966 Platinum IL'ite

This is my first comment to your story. superb write up... awaiting next part soon

1 person likes this.
  7. curiousgals78

curiousgals78 Gold IL'ite

Excellent. nice startup

8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

PART II

"Bidi jalai le Jigar se piya, Jigar ma badi aag hai", the ringtone on my mobile started playing. Madhok was on the line.

"Sir, good news!!. The judge approved the bail of Mrs. Sonali Jadeja" Madhok sounded happy as he broke the news.

"Wow!! that's great!!" I just jumped off my chair.

"But...." Madhok continued.

I got worried where did this "But" came from.

Madhok: "But sir the judge was saying that why advocate Hiten is taking this case. And that too his 25th case? He is on the verge of breaking the record. It's a difficult case to win".

"Well, we will see that later. Why don't you reach the Bandra police station with the bail papers? I am reaching there", I instructed him and left the office.

At the police station, officer Shinde was there. I know Shinde for years, have worked with him on many cases. He respects me more than I deserve.

Seeing me, he said, "Saheb, I was waiting for you. I was sure that you will come. A professional like you never wastes time. Saheb, you know about this case? It's as clear as a mirror. The SOB is not admitting the crime. If I give her a 3rd degree...."

"No!" I shouted. I can't imagine a 3rd degree on Sonali.

"No. No. We will not need that. You know I don't take cases of criminals. If I find something is fishy, i will leave the case", I said.

"Arre Saheb, Leave this case. your reputation will be dented. Don't get into this high society crimes. They have many skeletons in their closet". Shinde tried to convince me.

"I am ready to take the blame for Sonali", I said in my mind. I felt determined.

Just then, Madhok reached and I asked him to hand over the bail papers to Shinde. Shinde instructed a guard to get Sonali. I asked a copy of FIR (First Information Report) from Shinde.

After a while, Sonali came. Her hair was tied back. She looked tired. Her eyes appeared moist, maybe she had cried a lot. She had worn a light blue punjabi and was wiping her face with the dupatta. My eyes were fixated on her.

"Saheb, sign here!" Shinde's words embarrassed me.

I signed the papers. Sonali and I came out of the police station. I opened the passenger door for Sonali. This was the first time, a beautiful girl had seated on the seat next to me. A ticklish wave passed through my body. Was this Romance? I don't know. I started thinking why am I feeling this way. I hardly know her.

"If you don't mind....., can .... you ... please drop me at my house?" Sonali spoke softly.

"No. Problem, I was planning to do that anyway", saying that, I drove the car towards her apartment.

As I parked the car, Sonali said, "If you don't mind, can you please come up with me? I am feeling scared", there was fright in her voice.

"No problem." I said and came out of the car.

We went in the lift to her apartment. Her apartment was a penthouse. It had two floors inside. A drawing room, kitchen, dinning room and a bedroom on the downstairs. The drawing room was decorated with expensive furniture and showpieces. A huge beautiful photo of Sonali and her husband was hung on a wall in a carved wood frame. The full glass windows had a glass sliding door that led to an open terrace. The color of dusk penetrating through the white linings of the curtain gave a nice hue to the room. On one side of the dining hall, a curved marble stairway led to the upper floor of the penthouse. The dining room housed a huge glass dining table with a crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling.

"If you don't mind, can I freshen up?" Sonali said in a sweet voice.

"Yeah sure go ahead" She just had magic in her eyes, voice that attracted me to her. I was feeling like a robot in her presence. She went upstairs.

I started reading the FIR.

On 26th July at around 4 pm, we received a call from Dr. Mandke. I (nspector Shinde), and constable Raghuvir arrived at the Aradana building in Bandra. It had been raining heavily since the last two days. We entered the penthouse of Mr. Ramesh Jadeja. We were greeted by Dr. Mandke. He led us upstairs to the bedroom. We found Mr. Ramesh Jadeja sleeping on the bed, dead. There was blood on his stomach and below the bed on the floor. Next to the bed, Mrs. Sonali Jadeja was standing like a statue with a knife in her hand. She was saying continuously, "I didn't do anything, I didn't do anything!". I checked Mr Ramesh Jadeja. He was dead. I inspected the room, called the forensic expert. I observed that the windows were closed and there were no sign of force entry in the room either through the door or the windows. There was a rug on the entry way of the bedroom. It had shoe marks. The marks were clear as it had mud due to the rain. From my knowledge, i estimated it to be a shoe mark of Men shoe, size 9. Below the bed, we found Mr. Jadeja's shoe, soiled in mud. The shoe size was also 9. The forensic expert arrived and took the knife from Mrs. Sonali Jadeja and took finger prints on the bed and the dressing table, etc. The comforter on the bed and the bed sheet were in a mess. The pillows were also not in their place, indicating some sort of a brawl. The dead body of Mr. Ramesh Jadeja was sent for postmortem. Only Mr. Ramesh Jadeja and Mrs. Sonali Jadeja lived in the house. The helper staff came only for their duties of cleaning and washing. I interrogated Dr. Mandke. He said that he had come at around 3:50 pm to give insulin injection to Mr. Ramesh Jadeja. When he arrived, he saw Mr. Jadeja on the bed with blood coming out of his stomach. He checked Mr. Jadeja but there was no life. Mrs. Sonali was standing by the bed with a knife in her hand. Mrs. Sonali was not in state to answer anything.

As per the postmortem report, Mr. Jadeja was murdered between 2 pm to 3 pm.

During the interrogation at the police station, Mrs. Sonali Jadeja informed that she had gone to her friend Anu's parlor in Andheri. When she arrived she saw Mr. Ramesh Jadeja sleeping on the bed with a knife in his stomach. Didn't know what to do, she removed the Knife and went into a state of shock. Just then, Dr. Mandke had arrived.

We inquired with Anu, she confirmed that Mrs. Sonali Jadeja had visited her on that day but the watchman of her building has no recollection of seeing Mrs. Sonali Jadeja. We didn't find any witness of anyone seeing Mrs. Sonali Jadeja going to Anu's parlor. Maybe Anu is trying to save her friend.

The watchman of Aradhana building had not seen Mrs. Sonali Jadeja leaving or entering. However, the watchman is notorious for dereliction of his duty.

According to us, Mrs. Sonali Jadeja has committed the crime. It is an open and shut case.

"Open and Shut case", those words ringed my ears. The case was tight and difficult to win. Why did I take this case?

9. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

A very interesting episode and you have written it so nicely. Feel that Sonali is not the murderer.

Waiting for the next part.

2 people like this.
  10. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Supper Good story @ Akanksh1982.. Thriller story with a love story .. like it.
    outstanding narration !!! Keep it up !

--PS

1 person likes this.