1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Flight to the Past

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Bhargavi03, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

I was waiting at the departure lounge twitchily hoping for the boarding announcements to be made. My flight from Bangalore to Washington, USA was delayed by 3 hours. From Washington, I had another connecting flight to take to Chicago, my destination point. I was dozing intermittently trying to overcome the monotony of sitting alone at the international terminal with so many others probably traveling with their families. A loud wail from an infant not very far from behind my row jolted me off from my nap. I turned back annoyingly to see what was troubling this little one which was rather adding to the disruption of the little serenity that was left behind amidst the existing bustle of the passengers around.

I captured a quick glimpse of those beautiful eyes again very familiar to me after five years that mesmerized me until today. She moved those curly hairs falling on her face with one hand and lifted her baby with another hand from the stroller to comfort him. She pulled the bottle of milk from her bag and started feeding her child. I could hear my heart palpitating, droplets of my perspiration falling on my hands as I saw that alluring face which once stole my heart and left me broken forever. I sat there dumb-struck.

Neha was an all rounder in our college and also one of the most elegant and charming girl, spellbinding the hearts of most of the boys. I was privileged to be her boyfriend – correction – “ex-boyfriend”. I still distinctly remember our last moment that left both of us dejected and heartbroken.

“Manu it has been four years since we are in this relationship...Both of us are earning decently well and what are we waiting for. Let’s get married” as Neha expressed her anxious emotions I was contemplating something else. I was never a self-contented person. My dreams were bigger and marriages were never on my cards. “Neha it’s too early and moreover I don’t think I am ever cut-out for marriages. Family, kids all these are far-fetched things in my life... I want to purse my higher education abroad, work for some giant firms and finally start my own company. All this will take a very long time. I thought we are having a great time now, so what is the hurry to confine ourselves to marital shelves?” As I told I saw her eyes with immense disappointment and distress. “You just wanted to have fun with me and not get committed to me is it? You can still achieve all these even if we are married?” as Neha questioned me I impassively responded to her “What do you mean I am not committed to you? I love you and only you. We can live together. Is marriage the only way to win your trust on me?” Neha stood still gaping at me. Her face showed wrath and her heart profoundly hurt left with pain. She was a simple thinking woman brought up in a conservative middle-class family. She was not open to the kind of relationship I suggested.

“Manu, I am an ordinary woman who loves a man, wants to get married to him and spend the rest of my life with him. I thought you were that one. But I was terribly wrong. We are two different individuals who want different things from life. I cannot be stringed on to the type of relationship you want me to lead with you. Its best we both move on in our lives in our own ways.” I was appalled as I heard Neha spoke. “Are you trying to break-up with me?” as I told, Neha uttered for the one last time “Good luck for your ambitions Manu!” She walked without turning back and that was the last time I saw her.

At the airport, I finally heard the call for my flight. There were still 30 minutes left for my departure. Before getting up and joining the queue at the boarding gate, I gathered some courage to meet Neha and talk to her. She was busy packing up some stuff and as she bent down to put her son who was asleep by now on his stroller, I greeted her, “Hi Neha!”

She immediately turned up and looked at me in astonishment. “Oh uh...!! Hi Manu, What a pleasant surprise!! How are you?” she made a matured move and started a casual talk.

“I am good. How are you Neha?”

“Very Well! Thanks! It is so surreal... Is it not five years now Manu?”

“Hmm... more than that.”

“World is so small... So are you also travelling to Washington?” As she talked I was enthralled by her beauty again. I stared into her eyes to find my lost girl but returned discovering a new girl, a mother who seemed blissful with her new life.
    We marched towards the boarding gate as we were discussing about the changes in our life.

I was rather excited about the feeling of travelling with my lost love after so long. After we boarded the flight, I exchanged my seat with another co-passenger who was supposed to sit next to Neha, to grab an opportunity to spend the next 20 odd hours in the flight with her.

After we settled and the flight took off, Neha dropped her child into the bassinet that she had reserved for him, sat on her seat and then looked through the window probably lost in some thoughts. I cleared my throat and started the conversation.

“Your son is really very cute... What is his name? How old is he? “

“Thanks! His name is Vihaan. He is 1 year old now.”

“Do you stay in Washington?” I asked.

“Uh... No... My husband is there on an official visit to Washington from past four months. I am going there to stay with him for a few weeks and would return to India together with him. We live in Bangalore. What about you?”

“I live in Chicago. I had come to India to settle some property issues of my ancestral house. I have my own Analytics and Marketing Company in Chicago. Do you work in Bangalore?”

“That’s awesome! So you have accomplished what you wanted.” she remarked at me probably a bit sarcastically. She continued “I was working until last year. I have quit now to take care of my child. My husband also works for an Analytical firm at a very senior position.” I saw pride in her face as she spoke about her husband realizing that she is leading a complete life which she aspired for.

“Oh! That’s amazing. I am really happy for you.” I told her albeit not completely true from my heart. I did not want to know any further details about her husband for the obvious reasons and decided to divert the topic to something else. A few hours later due to the weariness of a long wait at the airport I retired to sleep.

I woke up a little late. I saw Neha, briskly having her breakfast while her 1 year old was playing in his bassinet with some toys that she carried for him. I also saw my breakfast kept on my tray.

“Hey Good Morning! You were fast asleep while they were serving breakfast so thought I would fetch one for you too so that you could have after you were awake” she told. That was so typical of Neha. She was the most caring and considerate person I have ever known.

“Thank you! I will just fresh up and be back.” As I walked towards the washroom I was feeling heavy in my heart.

I had my croissant and sandwiches for breakfast followed by coffee which Neha helped me prepare quite precisely. Later we chattered about various things starting from our college, all those funny moments we spent, just to break that odd and uncomfortable feelings both of us were going through.

“Oh I did not realize. It’s time for Vihaan’s feed” she blurted. “Do you want me to help you prepare the bottle of milk?” I gently tried offering her help.

“No. I will feed him now. Sweety baby it’s time for just you and mommy.” She gracefully picked her baby and started feeding him. I tried squinting at her but turned my face away in coy. I covered her so that no one else could see her nurture her baby.

I realized how much I missed her. I have attained great heights in my career but always felt some vacuum in life. I used to return home from work just to see an empty place with no one around to welcome me, to love me, to live with me. My mother and father had a nasty divorce when I was just 10 years old, too young to comprehend the complexities in marital life. Their living instilled a grave sense of fear in my mind about marriages which was the genuine reason behind me not wanting to marry Neha. I was very apprehensive about handling the challenges of having a family of my own. Ever since my parents were estranged, I lived with my paternal grand-parents. I seldom used to visit my parents. After my grandparents demise, I decided to move far away from my parents and live on my own.

“Can you just hold him for a moment please?” Neha handed over her son to me while she was getting some stuff from her hand bag. I was nervous, hesitant to lift her child. I had never handled a baby ever in my life. Quite reluctantly, I carried him from her and laid him in my arms. I felt his soft and gentle skin touching mine as I took my first close look of her baby. There were these mystical vibes spreading all across by body as I saw him. It was stupendous and I was feeling very special to hold this beautiful gift of God. He smiled at me benevolently and his eyes twinkled like a star. He resembled her a lot and his smile was exactly like hers. I realized I was wrong. It’s not very tough to have a family especially if it is with your loved one who will share the warmth and happiness for the rest of your life as Neha once told me.

Finally after a long flight, we reached Washington airport. Both of us alighted from the flight. I accompanied Neha towards the check-out baggage counter to help her pick her bags. Mine was a straight check-in to Chicago so I could only collect my bags there.

She carried her bags, moved her baby stroller and was walking towards the exit gate. I was walking a few yards behind her. She turned back and looked at me. “It was a great journey Manu. Why don’t you come near the exit gate, I will introduce my husband?”

“Uh... no, it’s OK. I am indeed getting a little late to catch my next flight and I need to find my transit gate too. Maybe some other time” I politely refused. She comprehended the uneasiness from my tone and did not force me again.

“OK then. Hope we will meet some other time. Take care Manu. Good bye!”

I spectacled her walk towards the exit gate while I tried moving towards the transit gate. But there was this element of inquisitiveness within me to see that lucky man who stole my love. From far without her noticing me I tried to quickly take a glimpse of her husband. I saw her running towards her husband and embracing him with tears in her eyes as they were meeting after so many months. I enviously looked at him as I felt her love for him. He planted a kiss on her forehead and then bent down to lift his child.

That family should probably have been mine but I foolishly let it slip off my hands. I turned and without looking back strode towards the transit gate. This strange encounter with my lost love had changed my presumptions in life. I thought probably even I can have a family if only I could meet a girl like Neha whom I could love as much as I had loved her. I sat at the transit gate brooding over those wonderful memories of travelling with Neha waiting for my next flight which was again delayed by 3 hours!!!

sumalynux and iyerviji like this.

2. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

Hello everyone! I am here again with yet another story to my collections. Check out my latest story - "A Flight to the Past"... Hope you will all have a heart melting traverse to the past :) Enjoy the story and let me know your views. Have a great day !!

3. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

just wow dear!!!loved it..I was able to picturise the scenes!!!very well potrayed..the story has given a deep moral...keep writing!!!

4. meerasrini

meerasrini Platinum IL'ite

5. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Very well narrated Bhargavi... I just loved the story..

6. sreeram

sreeram IL Hall of Fame

That was short and sweet and simply superb story. Kudos. All the best.

7. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

such a nice story....

8. StrangerLady

StrangerLady Gold IL'ite

Beautiful story Bhargavi, u really rock

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting story , short and sweet and you have narrated so well. Congrats for the nomination by @Oriana aworthy nomination.

1 person likes this.
  10. mbharani

mbharani Gold IL'ite

very good narration .... very interesting too.... :)