1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

They Say Marriages Are Made In Heaven

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Bhargavi03, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

“Madhoo come home early in the evening today... say around 4.00 p.m. Is that OK?” as my mom told I was bewildered wondering why she was asking me to return from college so early as I normally come home only by around 6 p.m. after my computer lab practice sessions.

“What is the matter mom? Is there anything important happening at home?” as I dubiously questioned her she responded “The guy’s parents are coming today to see you and meet our family. Didn’t I tell you last night? Anyway I don’t want them to be kept waiting. They will be here by 5.00 p.m. You can be home an hour before so that you will have sufficient time to get ready. Is that clear?” I was flabbergasted as I heard my mom. “What the hell mom! I am just 20 years old and not yet completed my graduation. I thought you were joking yesterday. I am in no hurry to get married now. I want to finish my B.E. and work after that” I scornfully remarked at my mom.

“I am not asking you to get married tomorrow. It is a very prospective alliance for you. Padma aunty got this from her known contact. All you have to do is just see the boy and if you like we can proceed further. If you insist you could probably get married and still pursue your engineering and may be even work if the boy’s family is OK with it. What say?” I was stupefied at my mom’s imbecile statements as I saw her eyes beaming with confidence and pride about her obtuse presumptions. Her idea of marriage was so naive and could not believe my mother was so obsolete in her perspective. Padma aunty is my dad’s elder sister. After getting both her daughters married she is now into full time match making job for other eligible bachelorettes in our family. “Padma aunty has no other business and you are also hooked onto this? Women are flying in rockets to the space and you want me to get married and have a family in my teens. You are incorrigible mom.” My dad came running from his room after he heard our huge altercation, intervened and convinced me that nothing will change by just seeing the family today. My mom who was adamant about her decision asked me to take a look at the boy’s photograph which she had kept on the dining table. I neither bothered her words nor the photograph, scurried to my college in dismay.

At my college I was completely preoccupied with the discussions I had with my mom in the morning. I was determined not to go home early. I thought by not showing up the “prospective alliance” in my mom’s terms would be humiliated and would never want this marriage though my actual intentions were not to affront them but in reality oppose my mom’s impulsive idea.

I returned home late two hours more than the usual time. I sensed my mom fuming from within waiting to pounce on me. My dad was sitting on the couch reading something. There was an air of tense at my home. I walked silently inside my room. My mom stopped me and much to my anticipation she started her interrogation session enquiring me about my late arrival. “I told you I was not interested in this whole thing. It’s not my fault. You can’t force me into something that I am not ready for.” as I fired back at her, my dad walked up to my mom, held her by her shoulder and told “Geetha, let go. I warned you about this yesterday. I would also take Madhoo’s side. Let her finish her education and work if she likes. We will find a better proposal for her marriage when time comes. Don’t worry now.” He comforted my mom and went into their room though my mom was disappointed. I stood there gaping at my dad’s contained reaction, chuckled to myself watching an avalanche just fade away mellifluously.

A year passed by and I successfully completed my computer engineering and got placed into a huge multinational company from my campus. With a sense of gratification of fulfilling the first steps of my aspiration I was walking triumphantly on the first day into my company’s conference hall for the induction programme. There were many new joiners, college pass-outs like me sitting in the hall waiting for the orientation to commence. Some senior staff handed over the induction kit to each of us while another employee was briefing us up on the company’s policies, terms and conditions. After the first half of the session followed by lunch break, as we were all gearing up for the second half session, I saw Vishwanathan fondly called as Vishwa by everyone at the office, walked on to the dais, welcomed us and started speaking on the company’s overall performance and their expectations on us. My eyes were fixed on his speech - correction - ‘on him’. He was extremely handsome, tall, with an amazing diction stood there on that platform in a gallant posture, definitely the cynosure of all eyes. I turned around and noticed every single girl’s jaw dropped and leching at him profoundly. That night I could not get my mind out of Vishwa. I was brooding about his speech, about him as I dozed off unknowingly.

After a month of fundamental training followed by another month of domain specific training I was allotted my project and team. Three of us including me from my group joined the same project. We reported the next day to our team. Some of our senior team members were having a casual chat with us while we were waiting for our team lead to take us forward. There again after two months I saw Vishwa.

He was my team lead and I was going to work for his project. My joy knew no bounds with the feeling that I will get to see him every day. I was sitting calm and composed suppressing my ecstasy within. Vishwa smiled at us stopped at me and asked my name. “Hi I am Madhoo, August 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] batch new joinee” as I told nervously he looked into my eyes for a moment as though we knew each other for ages and then moved to the next person for their introduction. “Welcome everybody! I am Vishwanathan your team lead. These are your project manuals. Please go through them. Each of you will get a mentor to assist you in the initial days of your project activities. You will get your systems probably in a week or so. If you have any queries you can reach out to me anytime. Take your time and settle down folks.” While the others were glancing through the manuals that Vishwa handed over to us, I was watching him walk to his chamber. He sat on his chair, looked back and stared at me. Suddenly I became conscious, sunk into my chair and buried my face into the manual.

A month passed by. I built an affable rapport with Vishwa. He used to join us for lunch and chit chat on various things besides work. Slowly and steadily I developed an immense liking towards Vishwa. He was very sweet and adorable, immensely considerate about each of us in the team especially me. At times he used to drop me home on the days I missed my office cab. Our bond grew stronger day after day. I felt a peculiar connection between me and Vishwa. I was not sure if this was love though I received a very positive sign from him towards me during various instances.

My mom started marriage discussions again this time with my dad also by her side. I was in a fix. I was not sure if I should just go my mom’s proposals or confess my love for Vishwa. Finally I decided I should talk to him and get things clear with him. That Saturday we met at a coffee shop. “This is a nice shop Madhoo. I have never been here before” as Vishwa started the conversation I broke the news “My parents are looking out for marriage proposals for me but I am not interested in them” I struggled and choked and finally made it open “I think I am in love with you Vishwa... “With a sense of ease and relief I looked at him. He was stunned. After a minute’s silence Vishwa spoke. “This is so surreal. I was waiting for these words to come from you as I did not want to take a second chance. When I met you the first time I knew you did not recognize me. I was the guy who came to see you at your house two years ago. When I saw your photo for the first time something within made me feel that you are the one. With great hopes I came to meet you but left totally disappointed. After that in spite of my parents persistent attempts to find a suitable match for me, I was reluctant, disinterested. The first time I saw you in my team I was overwhelmed but realized that you never knew me. But I was glad that we got an opportunity to know each other better.”

I was appalled, awestruck, perplexed, with an extreme sense of remorse for disgracing him and his family I sat across with a whole lot of mixed emotions churning me as I heard Vishwa utter those words. I decided to break the stereotype and propose him instead and help me overcome my guilt for my misdoing. I knelt down and held his hands and told “Will you marry me?” With a jubilant smile on his face he told “I will dear indeed dying to ....” I knew my parents will be happy especially my mom. I was a little anxious about his parents’ acceptance specifically after that commotion but I knew Vishwa will convince them as we are destined to be married together.

5 people like this.

2. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

Hi everyone, check out my new short story - They Say Marriages Are Made In Heaven
    Please provide your feedback, comments... :)

3. StrangerLady

StrangerLady Gold IL'ite

Hi @bhargavi03

Very nice story, so happy for vishwa n madhoo.

U have a very gud narrating style. Pls cum up with long stories in future for us to enjoy

4. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

5. srilaxmi

srilaxmi Silver IL'ite

nice n good going bhargavi03, waiting for the next one to know whether marriage are made in Heaven. ur writing style is good

6. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

@Bhargavi03,

Good romantic story and your style of writing is good.friendssmiley

7. nivsrini

nivsrini Silver IL'ite

your story and way of explanation is too good. Please come up with more long write ups Bhargavi.

8. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi..Nice story.. Feel good.. Is this a story or from your life?

9. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite

Thanks :) no its fiction... But parts of the story inspired from my life..mine is a love marriage :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Bhargavi03

Bhargavi03 Gold IL'ite