1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Take it or leave it

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by daisy2015, Aug 6, 2015.

1. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. Generally we hear this sentence when people are giving us free advice or when we are bargaining something and the opposite person knows that we desperately want to have that object.

Have you ever noticed that Life also gives us an ultimatum/option of TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT?!! We are so busy in our daily chores that we don’t pay much attention when it actually gives us an ultimatum/option. When you have a little bit of free time sit back and relax. Try to go back into your past and see how many times life said, “TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT”. What did you choose?

Hmmmm. Think hard.

Now, let me tell you a story. This story is about Neelima and Ravi who are working as software professionals in the same company.

Neelima is an ordinary looking girl. She doesn’t like wearing makeup and loves to be simple. She is a very good human being. Kind at heart. Always smiling and spreading smiles wherever she goes. From the time her parents lost their son (Neelima’s younger brother) due to some health problem they became very possessive and protective of her. She wanted to join a college in another city along with her friends but her parents didn’t agree to this saying that they can’t move to that city along with her as her father’s office didn’t accept his transfer request. She tried to convince them saying that she can join hostel along with her friends and that there is nothing to worry about as all her school friends would be there with her. But they told her to choose between her parents and friends. This was the first time she realized that life has thrown an ultimatum at her TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. She wanted to join that college but not at the cost of her relationship with her parents. So she left her dream. She knew that they have become protective of her after seeing her younger brother die infront of their own eyes. So she kept quiet and didn’t say a thing.

After completing Btech she wanted to study Mtech and started preparing for entrance exam. Finally the day of exam was declared. She was getting ready for exam. When she was about to leave her mother fell down the stairs and was bleeding. She called an ambulance and informed her father the hospital address and went along with her mother to the hospital in the ambulance. Her exam center was on the way to the hospital and when they crossed it she saw that everyone was getting inside, showing their hall tickets and checking their room number. She felt sad that she couldn’t attend the exam as she has worked very hard day and night for this day. But this was not the time to think about her. Her mother was in a lot of pain. How can she act so selfish. Eliminating all the thoughts about her exam from her mind she took care of her mother on the way to the hospital. When they reached there, her father was waiting for them. The doctor conducted various tests and came to a conclusion that her mother needs complete bed rest for atleast two months. He prescribed some medicines and told them to come back for review after two months. Neelima took over the kitchen and household duties and immersed herself in the daily work. Before they knew it the two months duration was completed and they all went to the hospital. After checkup the doctor declared her mother fit and fine and also said that she can do anything she likes without any difficulty or problem. They felt happy to hear that she is hale and healthy now.

Neelima dropped the idea of doing MTech and started searching for a job when her friend gave information regarding the new job opening as SWE(software engineer) in a company. She attended her interview confidently and she topped in the results. Her HR informed her that she would be allotted to a group where they are dealing with a most prestigious project. If they succeed, they would gain huge profit along with another big project from the same company. Saying thus he took her near a group of people who were discussing something very seriously. She was introduced to all the team members along with the team leader Ravi.

Ravi is a decent looking man with wheatish complexion, dark brown eyes, curly hair, about 5’9 height and a heart stealing smile. While he was in the final year of MCA he got selected in the campus selections and joined this reputed company.

Ravi was pampered a lot as he was the youngest in his family. His father, mother and elder brother stood as a shield infront of him whenever someone tried to hurt him. After getting a job as SWE all the eyes of his relatives turned to him and everyone tried to be in his good books. They even started bringing marriage proposals of their daughters. Once, one of Ravi’s uncle got a marriage proposal. Ravi’s mother said that they would first perform the marriage of his elder brother and only then would they think about his marriage. If it is ok with them they wouldn’t mind performing their elder son’s marriage with this girl. But he said that they were interested in Ravi and not his brother. Saying thus he left the house.

Ravi was friendly by nature, all his colleagues liked him a lot. At times they used to tease him saying that so and so girl is in love with you and is going to propose you today, so be ready. We would love to see your reaction when she proposes. From that time he started avoiding girls and would smile at them only if it is necessary.

HR: Let me introduce you to your new team member… Neelima. She has joined us recently and is going to work with you in this project. Please update her with all the details. Neelima, this is Ravi. Your team leader.

Ravi: Hi.

Neelima: Hello.

Ravi: Welcome to our team.

Neelima: Thank you.

Ravi: Let me introduce you to our team. Snigdha, Arun, kavya, Vishal. We have already started working on a new project. Get the details from Kavya and update yourself by the time you come to office tomorrow morning. We don’t have much time to waste. If you need anything you can ask one of us. We will guide you.

Now, everyone back to work….

Why is he so rude? I didn’t say or do anything that would hurt him. This is the first time we met each other. Can’t he be polite?

Let it be. I am not here to make friends. I don’t care if he is polite or not.

The next day Neelima reached office 30 minutes early so that she can clarify her doubts with Kavya. By the time they finished their discussion Ravi was coming towards them with a smile on his face wishing his friends on the way.

As soon as he reached his desk he looked at me as if I am an old portrait displayed in the museum. I gave him a smile for courtesy sake and turned towards Kavya and continued the discussion. After getting clarification for all my doubts I started my work. I was so engrossed in my work that I didn’t notice it was lunch time until kavya came to pick me up on her way to canteen. I didn’t feel like eating. I was enjoying my work. I didn’t want to leave. So I told her that I am not at all feeling hungry and wish to stay back and do some work. Thankfully, she didn’t force me. I was once gain lost in my work. My phone rang showing me that there is a message from my father. I stopped working and raised my head to see the time. It was then that I noticed Ravi watching me from his seat. I turned my face towards my phone and read the message. It was a message reminding me to bring medicines for my mother on my way back home. I replied that I won’t forget. It was 5PM. My shift ends at 5.30. So, I saved all the work in my computer, took my phone, vehicle keys and left the office.

I have collected medicines on my way and reached home as fast as I can. My parents worry a lot if I am late. As I was about to enter the house I received a message from Ravi saying that he has sent some documents through mail and that they should be checked thoroughly and should be corrected if and when needed, by tomorrow morning. Another message from him was blinking on my phone screen. “Forward them to me, once the work is done.”

After having dinner with my parents I went to my room and started working. It took all night to finish my work. The alarm in my phone started ringing as I was shutting down the computer after sending the completed work to Ravi. I wanted to lie down but there wasn’t enough time for sleep. So I went straight ahead into the bathroom and got ready for office. I had my breakfast quickly and left. I was on my way when the phone rang. It was from Kavya.

Kavya: Can you pick me up on your way to office? My vehicle went for repair.

Me: Sure. No problem. Be ready at your door. I won’t be coming in to say hi. I am already late.

Kavya: OK.

I collected her and we were chitchatting all the way to the office about everyone and it was then that I came to know about Ravi and his family.

We became busy in project work and completed successfully. The day of presentation came. Our manager called us for an urgent meeting. He informed us that due to some reason the company wants us to go to Sweden to give our presentation. Two members were selected for this job by the company itself. I was eager to know who was going to Sweden. Out of the blue, I heard my name being called. When I raised my head everyone was applauding and looking at me. It was then that I realized that I was nominated by the company along with Ravi.

I was happy and upset at the same time. Happy for two reasons….first, I was the one selected out of all the members and second, I was going to Sweden for the first time. I was upset coz Ravi was friendly with everyone in the office except me. “How am I going to survive this trip with this man?” thinking thus I was packing my bags.

6 people like this.

2. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Hi Daisy

Nice and Swift moving story.. Good Wishes

3. daisy2015

Thank you friendssmiley

4. ammusatheesh

ammusatheesh Gold IL'ite

Nice..lets wait for Sweden trip :)

5. Khushi78

Khushi78 Silver IL'ite

@daisy2015,

The story is progressing nicely but sincerely storytelling will have to retain one tense. If you are telling about neelima, it suddenly cant become "I/me". You have to progress the story with talking about Neelima in third person even if the it is a conversation type of piece in the story.
    All the best for future story telling.

6. daisy2015

i will keep that in mind. thank you

7. srilaxmi

srilaxmi Silver IL'ite

nice story.... good going,

8. srilaxmi

srilaxmi Silver IL'ite

post the storries in continuing thread, instead of posting in new thread, it will be easy for us to read with searching for other parts of story..... i think u understood wat i want to say

9. daisy2015

yes srilaxmi. i will.

10. daisy2015

Part 2

On Friday morning our manager called us both and discussed about the trip. He gave us the hotel address and phone number where we were supposed to stay. He said that a Mr. Smith is going to receive us at the airport. After this meeting we both went to say bye to our team members and taking all the necessary files left for home to collect our luggage. We planned to meet at the airport.

I came home took my luggage, gave my hotel address and phone number to my parents and gave them the details regarding how many days we are going to stay there, office timings, when will I be at the hotel, etc..I told them not to come to the airport as I didn’t like farewells. By the time I reached airport Ravi was waiting for me. Our flight was announced after sometime and we checked in without any problem. I was allotted window seat. As this was the first time I was travelling by air I was so excited and curious about every little thing. The view from such a height was spectacular. He was smiling and looking at me when I turned to answer the air hostess. This was the first time I saw him smile like that. I quickly took some refreshments and closed my eyes and relaxed. I fell asleep. When I woke up I saw that I was resting my head on his shoulder. He was in deep sleep. Without disturbing him I got up from my seat and went to the washroom.

I asked the air hostess, “By what time we will reach Sweden?”

“We will land in another 10 minutes Madam.” She said

I went back to my seat and kept looking out the window. By the time we reached Sweden Mr. Smith was waiting for us. He took us to the hotel, while giving us the room keys he told us to be ready by 4.30 as the meeting will take place at 5 PM.

An office car was sent to take us to the conference centre. We have attended the meeting and were about to leave when Mr. Smith came to inform us that another round of discussions are needed regarding the project.

“We will inform you when the date and time are fixed.” Saying this he left us and joined the remaining members.

We came back to the hotel and after freshening up I went out for window shopping. I LOVE SHOPPING. But since this a new place I thought of doing some window shopping first. I thought of buying one or two things only but ended up with lots of things for my parents. I was very happy with my shopping. Carrying all the bags I reached the hotel. Ravi was at the enquiry desk looking worried. I went straight to where he was and called his name.

He turned and hugged me tight without saying a thing. I was startled by this act and was about to open my mouth to say something, anything…when he put me at arm’s length and started scolding me, “where have you been? Why didn’t you inform me before going out?” When I came to inform you about the meeting date and time I saw that your door was locked and the waiter said that he saw you going out a few minutes back. I waited for you for a long time. When you didn’t turn up I started getting all sorts of negative thoughts. I was scared. I went to enquire if you have informed anything or made any enquiry regarding any place at their desk. Seeing concern in his eyes I couldn’t utter a word. I apologized for my behavior. I went straight to my room and ordered room service. I was about to go to bed when the phone rang. It was from my parents asking me all about my journey and meeting. I was happy to hear their voice. I told them every single detail about journey, meeting and shopping and said good night and placed the receiver down. Again there was a ring. Thinking that they must have forgot something I lifted the receiver and said hello. It was Ravi on the other end. He informed me that the next conference will take place on Monday at the same time and place. He said that he will meet me in the lounge for breakfast and disconnected the phone call.

The next day morning I woke up late as it was Sunday. I got ready and went down stairs. I was looking around for Ravi. But he was nowhere to be seen. I finished my breakfast at jet speed and went to his room to see what took him so long. When I knocked at the door he didn’t answer. A waiter was passing by at that time. He asked me if I needed any help. I informed him that my friend is not opening the door and I am worried that something is wrong. He said that there is a master key for all rooms and he would inform the manager about Ravi and would bring the spare key. I was waiting for him eagerly. Finally the waiter and manager came with the key and opened the door. Ravi was on the floor in unconscious state. They both picked him up and placed him on the bed. I rushed forward and saw that he was having fever. The doctor was contacted immediately. He came and after examining Ravi said that there is nothing to worry as it is the normal viral fever which will subside in two days. He prescribed some medicines and said that everything will be ok soon. The manager has sent someone to get the medicines. I sat by his side and was placing a cloth dipped in cold water on his forehead when the medicines arrived. I somehow managed to give medicines to Ravi. I didn’t leave him even for a minute the whole day. His fever subsided a bit by evening. So, I went to my room and changed and came back to see if he is doing ok. I kept changing the cloth on his forehead all night long. When the fever abated I pulled a chair near his bed and sat down watching his steady breath and fell asleep.

When the first rays of sun woke me from sleep I saw that he was in deep sleep. I called the doctor and told him about Ravi’ condition. He said that it would be best if Ravi spends the day in bed. I agreed and called the hotel manager and informed him about the doctor’s advice and asked him to arrange someone to look at him until I come back from my conference. I called Mr. Smith and informed him about the change of plans and the reason behind it and told him that I would give the presentation instead of Ravi and if possible in an hour from now. He understood and agreed to change the meeting from evening to morning. I went to my room to get ready. I took all the files, laptop and phone and went outside and was waiting for the car. Mr. Smith himself came to pick me up. The meeting was successful and we got the contract.

I rushed back to the hotel to check on Ravi. When I went into his room he was sitting in a chair near the window.

3 people like this.