1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Destiny - part 3

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by daisy2015, Jul 31, 2015.

1. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

Deepu’s maternal grandparents adored her. Every year whenever a few holidays were announced by the school or college she and her mother used to go to her grandparent’s house and spend a lovely time with them. As she was the only child of their favorite daughter they use to pamper her a lot.

I went into kitchen and got mother a glass of water.

Drink it while I go and inform dad about the news. Saying this I picked up the phone and dialed my dad’s office number. As soon as he heard the news he said he is on his way and that we will go by taxi so that we can reach the hospital before the visiting hours are over.

By the time dad reached home me and mom did all the packing and were ready at the doorstep. We sat in the taxi and reached the hospital by 8. As we were entering the hospital we saw my cousin Siddharth standing in front of the ICU talking to a doctor. My dad went ahead and discussed about the details regarding my grandpa’s health condition. Mom and I were allowed to go and see grandpa one after another. By the time my dad was back from doctor’s room we were all sitting in the canteen and having coffee.

Dad said that grandpa is going to be ok and that he will be discharged after few days. We all felt relieved hearing this news. After few days as said by the doctor grandpa came home.

I know you enjoy scaring us a lot but never again try this on us… saying this I ran into his arms and cried my heart out. Never had I dreamt that I would see him in such a condition. He became very lean and weak. After spending a few days with them we left for my paternal grandparent’s house who reside in the other part of the town. Seeing us there all of a sudden they were surprised and asked us why is it that we didn’t mention about our trip when they called us last time. Dad explained everything that has happened. They felt happy that everything is ok now.

After lunch mom, dad, grandfather, grandmother and I were sitting in the verandah and gossiping about the latest who’s who of the family members. Suddenly the topic was changed by my grandfather. He asked in a very serious tone…. When are you going to start looking for a suitable groom for your daughter?

We were surprised by this and were viewing him with wide eyes, dumbstruck. It was my dad who recovered first and said that we didn’t think about marriage yet as it was just a few days back that I have given my final year exams.

Besides I would like to know my daughter’s future plans. It is her life. She is the one who has to decide.

Saying this he turned to me and said, “Deepu… what do you think my child? What are your future plans? What do you want to do now that you have completed your graduation?”

Feeling happy inside that my opinion mattered most, I said…. I want to get a job first.

Hearing this, my father felt happy and proud. I could see it in his eyes.

I wanted the same thing for you. Now that I know that we are thinking alike regarding your future plans we better start our efforts to get you a good job.
    I was happy to know that he is there for me if I need his help. But I wanted to do this on my own.

No dad, I want to get a job on my own and not from recommendations.

Seeing us actively discussing about job search my mother couldn’t hold back anymore.

Are you two out of your mind? Why do you want to go for job Deepu? A girl should think about getting married and settle down in life with her husband and family. You are our only child. We will search for a suitable life partner coming from a good and well settled family. Where is the need for you to do a job?

I was shocked to hear this from mother. I couldn’t control my anger and got up from my chair and went on terrace. Pacing to and fro I was fuming about my mother’s opinion regarding my wish to do a job. By the time I cooled down a bit and went downstairs another shock was waiting for me. Somehow my grandfather convinced dad for my marriage. He was saying that there is a very good match in his mind which will be suitable for me. The groom is his friend’s son and is well educated and wouldn’t mind if the bride wants to pursue studies or job. They are well settled having own house and that both his parents are retired government employees getting their pensions.

I know their family personally. They are good people. Our Deepu would be happy there. Why don’t you meet them and see for yourself what I mean? Now that you are here I will invite them to our house for dinner tonight. Meet them once, talk to them and if you feel ok then only we will proceed. I am telling you they are really very good people. Don’t let this opportunity go waste. All I am telling you is to meet them once. There is nothing to lose. Is there?

With much hesitation dad agreed to this. Later he convinced me that it’s just a formal meeting…. like meeting some friends. If I like him, only then would they proceed further otherwise they won’t think about the match again.

Your grandfather will feel happy if you will agree to meet them. After hearing those last words I couldn’t say no. I always tried to make people happy. How can I make them sad now? Thinking this way I said… OK.

It was 10mins back that I said the word OK and everyone rushed to attend different tasks allotted to them by my grandfather regarding receiving the groom and his family. My mother took me to the beauty parlor and after going through facial, pedicure, manicure etc… I was brought home and was rushed to wear a saree as we were running out of time. Seeing my image in the mirror I felt like a decorated doll in the display rack which was kept for sale.

3 people like this.

2. ammusatheesh

ammusatheesh Gold IL'ite

3. yukthasri

yukthasri Bronze IL'ite

4. daisy2015

daisy2015 Platinum IL'ite

5. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

6. nagin99

nagin99 New IL'ite