1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

8 am to 8.30 am today

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by stillwaters, Aug 29, 2014.

1. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

I woke up with a throbbing headache.
    I could not sleep till late , fuming over my boss . I had worked hard throughout the year pushing myself beyond my limits and he had passed up on me again for promotion, just for being a woman . My husband had listened patiently to my tirade till he could no longer keep his eyes open .
    I lay in bed , my thoughts full of my boss and office. I could feel the throbbing in my head increasing . I felt like doing something drastic like killing someone. The only thing i could think of was the injustice meted out to me .
    As i stirred my husband also woke up.
    I asked him to get me a painkiller and got up to check on my toddler in the next room .
    I prayed to god that my boss also had a similar headache , faced similar problem from his boss , had an attack of severe diarrhoea , went through hell because of his wife , fell in the bathroom and the head injury would make him go mad.
    Suddenly i heard a loud cackling laughter from my daughter and hurried over to check . She was sitting up in bed and playing with a colourful butterfly which had flown in through the open garden window.
    She was a pretty site in her new pink pyjamas and i felt a rush of pride and love as i moved towards her. As i approached the butterfly flew out of the window and the expression on her face changed to a woeful one. I carried her and took her to the window.
    The garden was drenched in early morning sun which had not yet evaporated the dew shining on my perfect lawn. I looked with pride at my collection of roses . It had been a labour of love for us and i remembered all the precious moments i had spent with my husband , bringing it to this state.
    I could just smell the faint aroma of the jasmine from the far end of the garden.
    Suddenly i spotted my daughters colourful playmate and pointed it out to her. She gave a happy squeal and became engrossed in watching it intently.
    I watched her face - innocent with a smile of pure joy .
    She turned and clutched my face and gave me a kiss on my cheek.
    I put her on the cot and started tickling her with her laughing and trying to escape from my grasp.
    This is how my husband found us as he entered the room with my painkiller and a glass of water . As i looked up at him it took a moment for me to register why he was carrying those things.
    I realized i was not even aware when my mood changed and my headache vanished.
    These 30 minutes of today morning opened my eyes to the priorities and treasures of my life as nothing else had ever done.
    I hugged my daughter and hubby tightly with misty eyes and sent a silent prayer to dear god , thanking him for everything , including not being at the receiving end of colourful curses on a beautiful sunday morning.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    21 people like this.

2. kalpavriksham

kalpavriksham Gold IL'ite

hai dear. i also travelled along with your todays experience. I visualised ur house the little one, the cute garden etc. in my own limited imagination. SEE your precious jewel has broken your mountain of worry and disgust into very fine sand of incomparable joy.What atransformation of your state has the little angel brought in you.SHOWER all your love on the magical one as thanks giving. love.

1 person likes this.
  3. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

thank you very much kalpa ,
    this is my first attempt at any writing.
    so i am looking forward to all your comments , specially the literary stalwarts of il.

4. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

Wow! Wonderful story and nice write up......

1 person likes this.
  5. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

6. Radical

Radical Silver IL'ite

Wow. such a wonderful post... I too imagined every bit of your narration. Awesome

1 person likes this.
  7. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

8. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful post SW. I could imagine the situation and relate it to similar situations I faced, where something simple would remind me of the blessings I have at the end of a frustrating day.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

cb , from what i saw on the forums page i understood that the snippets are supposed to be non fiction.
    but this is fiction . so i posted it in story forum .

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Lovely piece. What a wonderful description. Loved your way of painting a word picture. Not to miss out the truth - the baby, laughter, vanishing headache.

When I was in college, I used to be constantly complaining and cribbing about something or the other and was eternally highly strung. The only time I ever smiled or laughed was when my baby niece was on my lap. I realized this the day my sister told my mom that the next time I opened my mouth to crib, they should dump my niece into my lap. :-D

2 people like this.