1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fajr - Final Part - Jayanthi Sathish

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by jayanthisathish, Jul 31, 2014.

1. jayanthisathish

jayanthisathish Bronze IL'ite

Fajr
    - Jayanthi Sathish

Nazia did not expect this twist at all. Handling her in laws itself was like walking on a road of thorns, in this case how to manage the college classes ? Wuf .. Sleep lost again.
    “You know dear, your grand ma and grandpa are going to be here soon. You can spend a lot of time playing with them” , said Nazia while dressing the baby the next day.
    “But I will be in school” replied the little girl.
    “We will take leave dear ”
    Safia’s eyes widened “ So, I need not go to school at all here after ?”
    Now its Nazia’s turn , she was surprised and cursed herself how she missed to understand the slightest childish attitude ?
    “Ji, you said we can take a break from playschool when aunt and uncle are here. But, now itself Safia is asking if she need not go to school afterwards. So, it would be difficult to send her to school again after the break. So , I think we can continue her school. I hope aunt and uncle would also be happy to see her get dressed up and go to school”
    “See, if you send her to school, who will stay there and pick her back ? If you do so who will take care of breakfast and lunch for my mom and dad ?. I don’t think this would work ”
    “You please don’t worry at all about that. I will leave for school as usual after preparing all the breakfast and lunch and keeping them ready on the table. Anyway Myself and baby will be back before lunch and I can serve them myself” replied Nazia politely keeping her fingers crossed.
    “Fine. Follow this for a couple of days. If this doesn’t work, quit her playschool and you better stay home. Got it ?”
    “Sure. Agreed” said Nazia with a huge relief. She knew that to continue her usual routine after the arrival of her in laws would mean her more exhaustive cooking, cleaning and more mental pressure which she had already prepared herself for.

Couple of weeks later, Saleem’s parents arrived at the airport and the family was eagerly waiting to pick them up. After all those senti-hugs and tears they were driving their way home. Nazia had spent the previous weekend cleaning the entire house so, she would not see a “Is this the way of maintaining a house?” – kinda look from her mom-in-law.

A week rolled by smoothly. Saleem took them to park and shopping mall on the weekend and the oldies were trying to enjoy the richness of the house and city to the maximum. The prayers at home became more planned and scheduled – of course with elders at home you automatically get tuned so !

It was during the morning break on a Wednesday, the Course co-ordinator of the College walked into the class. “Dear Students. I hope you all remember the research paper you all submitted to the University of Texas last semester?” There was a feeble chorus from the crowd. He continued, “I am very happy to announce that after 4 years , a research paper submitted by one of our college students has been selected to an University of the USA. The paper is ‘Pre-natal Genetics to combat Congenital diseases’ and the author is Nazia Saleem. The whole class applauded. Nazia was very happy that had she left alone she would have literally cried.
    All joys are momentary and the announcement that followed proved so. “Nazia will present her paper in University of Texas during their Annual Conference which is in 2 months from now. Our college will take care of her Visa formalities. Congrats Nazia Ma’m !” and the co-ordinator walked out of the classroom. The whole class roared again but there was one person who was damn silent - the author of the Research paper herself !!
    Nazia walked to the Co-ordinators room. “ Sir !, I am sorry to say that I cannot present the paper myself in US. Is it possible that I request one of my friends to get that opportunity?”
    “I am surprised to hear this Nazia. This is not a chance everybody gets. None of the research papers from our students were selected in the last 4 years. The College is very proud of you but you are denying such a prestigious offer. May I know the reason ? “
    “Sir, to be honest with you, My husband is not aware that Iam doing such a master degree because he never approved of this. In this case how can I travel to US? What reason can I tell him ?”
    “Oh, Okay. But why can’t you tell him everything now and seek his permission to present the paper ? I am sure he would also be proud and happy if you say you are the only one who has been selected for this excellent offer.”
    “Sir, but it will mean that I was cheating him for the past 1 year. He will lose all the faith he had on me. Though I lied to him and am guilty, I console myself because I didn’t do anything wrong. But how can I go and tell him, ‘I was telling you a lot of lies. Please forgive me and let me go to the US to present my research paper?’ I really do not have the heart to do so.”
    “May I talk to him on your behalf, Nazia ma’m ?”
    “Oh no. Please don’t sir. That is something like I bring in people to support or recommend on behalf of me. I am not for it. Can you let me know what would be the adverse effects if I don’t go to the US to present the paper sir ?”
    “Well. The college would lose its reputation with the university of Texas and may be other American colleges too. They might not accept any papers from our end as an eventual decision. From your perspective fortunately there is no clause in college policy to take any strict action against you. But Iam not sure. “
    “Thank you sir. Could you please check with them if I can nominate someone else to present it on my behalf?”
    “I will try to do that Ma’m”
    “Thank you sir” Nazia left the room. She returned back home and was drowned in the regular chores of the house.

In the evening when she was serving tea to her in-laws , her mobile rang with the display “Rafiq-BITS”. She picked it up “Hello..”
    “Nazia Ma’m, I heard you are not going to the conference. Why is it so ?”
    “Oh. Credit card. Sorry not interested” and she hung the call. Obviously she could not speak the details on the phone in front of her in laws who were watching her cautiously.
    The phone rang again and she silenced it. It rang again. She picked it up “Hello”
    “Ma’m , why are you disconnecting. I am shocked to know you are not going to the conference”
    “One second. I am not able to hear you properly. Please wait.” She walked swiftly to the balcony of her bedroom.
    “Rafiq, please listen. I can’t talk now. But I cannot go to US for many reasons. We will talk in the class tomorrow. Please don’t call again”. She disconnected and turned back. Her Mother in law was just a couple of foot away staring at her .
    “Had your tea aunty?”
    “Trash the tea. Who is that Rafiq ? What is the class you are going to meet him?”
    Nazia was totally blank and didn’t know what to tell her when the door bell rang. Saleem’s father opened the door and to everyone’s surprise it was Saleem, who was inadvertently early to home that day.
    Saleem’s mom ran to him. “Saleem, listen. She just spoke to someone named Rafiq. She says she will meet him in the class tomorrow. Ask her what she is up to.”
    Saleem who was extremely tired after the days work did not expect such a chaos. But he asked politely “What’s it Nazia? Who is that Rafiq?”
    “Ji. I will tell you everything, if you please admit me to explain few minutes in private please” Nazia’s voice was trembling.
    “Whatever you want to talk, you talk here big lady” – it was Saleem’s mom.
    “Ji , please” Nazia pleaded with tears rolling down her cheeks.
    “Ah ah. Please stop this drama year. What is the problem. Tel me now.” Shouted Saleem.
    “Ji. Please trust me, I haven’t done anything wrong or guilt”
    “We are here to judge that . Now tell who is that Rafiq and where are you meeting him.”
    “Ji, Iam sorry. I have been doing my masters in a college which is close to our Safi’s school since last year. Rafiq is my class mate. I didn’t tell you because I knew you wouldn’t agree for the same. But I swear, other than this I didn’t do anything wrong”
    “What else you would consider wrong ? roaming around with some guys and not telling anything to your husband. And my son had been so innocent that you were cheating on him for more than a year.”
    “No aunty. I didn’t cheat. Please understand. I just wanted to do higher studies . But as he would not agree to it, I did not disclose this to him. But I really did not mean to cheat him”
    “When you knew he would not agree, you should not have even thought about it. What is that US plan ? Planning to run away with someone ?”
    “Whats all this Nonsense here? What are you going to do at US? Shouted Saleem.
    Nazia could not even utter words clearly while crying. “My research paper had got selected in a conference and I am to go to US to present the paper. But I had clearly said I would not be doing so.”
    “I don’t like any of these things Nazia. I have been away from home for most of the time and you have made best use of it ah?”
    “For Gods sake no. Please don’t say so. Other than going to college without your knowledge, I haven’t done anything that hinder our family or bother you. Trust me please” Nazia was crying badly. Safi was asleep while Saleem’s dad was noticing all these from the living room.
    The telephone at home rang. Saleem walked and picked it up – “Hello”
    “Salaam Alaikum”
    “Alaikum Salaam. May I know who is this?”
    “This is Ahmad Ammar from Ibrahim Irani College of Technology. I would like to talk to you. Can you please drop in by my house when you have sometime today?”
    “I am sorry. I don’t know you and moreover, I am right now very busy. So I couldn’t meet you now” replied Saleem.
    “Ok. I think you probably know Mr. Mohammed Ammar ? “
    “Well. Oh yes. I work for his company”
    “Fine then. Please be informed that he is my elder brother and I am a professor in the college in which your wife Nazia is doing her masters course. Well if you don’t know anything about that, then we can have a word during our meeting.”
    “I just came to know about that, fakely”
    “ Good. How about sparing a few minutes today sir ?”
    “Could you give me your address and I shall be there in an hour” replied Saleem striking his forehead.
    “Great. Here it is.”
    Saleem noted it, went to the rest room refreshed himself and walked away to the car garage.
    He did not heed to the grumblings of his mom or Nazia’s cries as he knew nothing will work now.

The house of Dr. Ahmad Ammar stood magnificently on that road with beautiful lights decorating the house from outside. As the watchman opened the gates, Saleem drove inside, parked the car on the drive way ad walked towards the main door.
    As he entered the house, he saw a middle aged man sitting on the Divan reading a book.
    “Excuse me. I am Saleem. I have come to meet Mr. Ahmad ”
    “Ah. Welcome Young man. Its me whom you are looking for”, the professor gave him a friendly hug and asked him to be seated. He poured himself and Saleem a cup of tea from the pot.
    As Saleem sipped his tea, the professor began the conversation “Please don’t mistake me that I made use of the fact that you work for my bro to force you to visit me. I wanted to share few things with you and I knew you would not agree to meet me immediately.”
    “That’s ok Sir. Please let me know what you wanted to discuss”
    “Let me introduce myself properly first. I am Dr. Ahmad Ammar, Course Co-ordinator for the Masters degree programme in Ibrahim Irani college of technology. Nazia Madam is one of my students. Rather I should say I am her teacher. If you don’t know what she is studying, She is doing her final year of M.Sc Bio technology & Genetics , a combinational course in our college. She is the college topper in the last 2 semesters”
    “Sir, I didn’t know any of these things until today evening. I have already told her not to go for higher studies or job after marriage”
    “But why ? “
    “My parents didn’t like so. They had clearly informed her before marriage that she cant study or work as none of the ladies of our family works. Moreover there is no need for her. I am earning sufficiently and we are having a happy living”
    “Are you sure your wife is happy ?”
    “Yes Indeed. She had never complained of not being happy.”
    “Why would she say young man ? How many women admit they are not happy or reveal what they actually want ? How can we say that she is happy doing only the regular chores of house, cooking, cleaning, washing etc., ? There is a life beyond that. If I give you the same salary what you are earning in my brothers’ company and ask you to do all the works your wife is doing, will you be happy ? Iam sure you would resign anytime. Not only you, any man will resign , Iam sure he would not even serve the notice period” the professor said with a smile.
    He continued “Nazia is a brilliant student. The research paper which she published last semester has been chosen by the University of Texas and she is invited to present it during their annual conference which is in the next 2 months. When I announced this today, the entire class was happy, because in the last 4 years none of our student’s papers got selected. This is a big honour for our college. But Nazia refused to go to the US. Then she told me that you don’t know anything about her studies and so she can’t travel. She even requested if someone can present the same on her behalf so that the college will not lose the opportunity”.
    “Nazia could have spoken to me about all these previously, because it has created a whole lot of confusion at home as a student Rafiq called home and my mother has took it in a different sense”
    “Oh God. Rafiq is my son. Like all other students, he has a great respect for Nazia . I told him about her decision and that’s why he might have called to enquire her”
    There was a pin drop silence in the place for the next 10 minutes. Saleem was extremely thoughtful.
    The professor began again “Mr. Saleem, My wife had completed only 8th grade when I married her. But after marriage she told me she is interested to learn Arabic and teach Quran. My income was very meagre at that time but still I managed to make her go to regular Arabic classes. She was a mother of two children when she began her Quran classes. Later she joined an Islamic society and became an Islamic teacher. She is still teaching Quran to the children. She feels herself accomplished with that. She is contented that she is able to contribute a part to the outside world and is not confined to the walls of the house. Not all women see the world inside the house or kitchen. Their ideas are vast and need a wider place so they can feel the real essence of it. They are not born to cook or wash clothes. They are born to achieve and guide too. You know very well that well talented or knowledged human resource is at scarce worldwide and we should make the best possible use of what we get. Nazia is a personality like that. There are numerous women across the globe who have not made the best possible use of their skills and learning capacity. But we should be happy Nazia has a strong will and all she needs is your support and motivation, so she can achieve heights.” He paused a little. Then continued, “Allah wants us, the men, to be true protectors of women. Islam preaches that a women should not be stopped from getting knowledge or education. A true muslim who prays should never go against what the holy book teaches.. I asked Nazia in the morning if I can talk to you on her behalf but she clearly refused. She said, she wouldn’t like some one coming to you in support of her. But I could not refrain from doing so. That’s the reason I fetched the contact details from her application form and also came to know from the personal particulars that you are working for my bro’s company. Mr. Saleem, Iam sorry if I am getting into too much of your personal stuff. But you see, both of you are closely acquainted with me. I can’t give up on any of you”
    “Not at all sir. It just shows how ignorant I have been all these days, just running after money and not seeing what my family wants from me” Saleem spoke at last, trying hard to pronounce the words.
    “That’s ok young man. Better late than never. Just go home , relax and you will be refreshed”
    Saleem got up, the professor gave him a hug and Saleem left with a Salaam.

Saleem returned home late night after spending hours at the beach. As he buzzed the doorbell, his mom opened the door. On seeing him, she immediately started “Look how stubborn this lady is. She has been inside the room since you left and never ever replies to me. That’s why we say we shouldn’t bring in educated girls to home. See your bhabhis they never ever opened their mouth against me. This bitch..”
    “Mom”, Saleem shouted at the highest pitch. “One word, One more word you speak , you will have to pack your things and get ready for leaving the next moment”. The old lady was dumbstruck. She didn’t dare to utter a word after this.
    He hurried towards his room and knocked it. “Nazia, open the door”
    The door was opened slowly. He entered and locked it. “Ji, please trust me I haven’t done anything unjust. I just wanted to study , but since..”
    Saleem held her shoulders, made her sit on the bed and spoke softly , “I know. I am the one who should be pleading you sorry. I should have understood what your passion is and what you would like to achieve. Instead I have been blind all these days not looking in to your heart. But now I have realized my mistake. I am really proud of you for all your success so far and I sincerely wish you should achieve and accomplish more and more. You have all the right to improve yourself and I will be there with you in whatever you want to study or work”
    Nazia could not even believe what she is hearing. She was gazing at Saleem while her eyes were drenched, “Thank you , Thank you so much” was all she could speak.
    Saleem gave her a warm hug and whispered into her ears “ I am going to accompany you to the US, so I can take care of our baby while you are busy preparing for the speech. Ok”
    Nazia chuckled and uttered in a low tone “Presentation, not speech”. “Whatever” replied Saleem as he gently kissed her on the forehead.
    Baby Safia was deep asleep and the blue sky above was getting ready for a more bright and energetic dawn.

--The End --

3 people like this.

2. preethibijoy

preethibijoy New IL'ite

Nice story with good moral...My eyes get watered while reading the last portions..Nicely written, please continue your writings :)

3. jayanthisathish

jayanthisathish Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot Preethi.. Your comment is very motivating :)

1 person likes this.
  4. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

nice touching story...

5. Sweetytweety

Sweetytweety Senior IL'ite

very good story :) please keep writing :)