1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The "It" Couple

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by MrsBV, Jun 14, 2014.

1. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

She looked at him with her big doe-eyed kohl rimmed eyes. She wanted an assurance from him that all that she was hearing were lies. But, shockingly, Karan looked away, he could not meet her eyes. Alia's look changed from confusion to fear to a shocking realization that all that she had just heard was all true. She pushed Karan away when he tried to take her into his arms and slapped him with all the force she could muster. Her heart was beating so hard that she felt as if everyone in the crowded restaurant could hear it. The only words which came out of her mouth was "After all that we have been through together!". Then, she walked away, not caring that everyone there was staring at them. Tears spilled on her face but she just wiped them off telling herself - this is not the place, Alia, you are a strong girl. But it seemed like the tears were unable to listen to her. She banged the restaurant door and walked out in the rain, glad that now she could let these tears flow, without inhibitions. She half-expected to hear Karan's voice asking her to stop but there was nothing except for the rain drops falling. It was as if that he now no longer cared that it was over and it was because of him.

She didnt know where she was going but she knew she had to be far far away from this place. God how stupid I was, Alia thought to herself. At this time of unbearable heartbreak, suddenly, out of nowhere, images of happy moments spent with Karan flashed in her mind. The way he looked at her as if no one else existed, the way he hugged her close when she cried when her cat, Kitty had died, how he had told her that everything will be alright, and so many of the good times together. She wanted to shut all these good images because she realized all that was an act. "Karan, Oh God, Karan how could you do this to me", she kept ranting while walking. She was not aware that people were looking at her, a lady stopped by and asked her "Are you alright"? but she just brushed her off and continued walking. She just wanted to run till all this pain and misery stopped.

8 people like this.

2. ananyakiran

ananyakiran Gold IL'ite

Good one
    Enjoyed reading it

3. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

Alia had always been a happy kid. An only child to her parents who showered her with love, she was also taught to be kind and understanding towards others pain and suffering. Her parents always talked about the instances in her childhood when she used to bring a stray cat or a dog home unable to bear to leave them alone and hungry in the streets. When she was 12, her father, a doctor, moved from Nagpur, where he had practiced since Alia was born to the capital, when he got the prestigious position of heading the pediatrics department in one of the well-known hospitals there. The move was a big thing for the entire family especially for Alia, who could'nt imagine not seeing her best friends, Rina and Shreya ever again. That day too, she had bawled and cried, pleading that she cannot leave all that she had known and understood until now. Her Mom had only kissed her on the forehead and said "Alia beta, never run away from change! its part and parcel of life. Just because tomorrow is an unknown doesnt mean it wont be exciting. What you are leaving behind is a lifetime of friendship, which will not end just because you are moving". The words stuck in Alia's mind, because with time, she realized how right her Mom was, all the changes were necessary for her to have the most memorable moment of her life - the day she met Karan for the first time!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    7 people like this.
  4. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

Thank you Ananya!

5. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

hey BV,

Never knew you could write! And how!! Really nice!!

6. Dreamer

Dreamer Silver IL'ite

Very nicely written.

7. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

Thank you HMA and Dreamer!

8. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

Karan, her geeky 14 year old neighbour, the moment they first met was etched in her memory. She was walking up the stairs of her third floor flat, lost in her own thoughts, thinking that today she will take some time out to write a reply to Shreya's letter. She missed her two girls, and thinking about how the three of them used to always go to the lake after school brought a smile to her face. She was so busy with her thoughts that she didnt see the tornado coming down the stairs. Both of them walked into each other and Alia lost her footing. Before she could fall completely, a thin but strong hand caught hold of her arm and balanced her in a precarious position. Alia was so scared that for the life of her she could not open her eyes. She heard a warm but strong voice ask her "Are you alright"? Slowly with much effort, she opened her eyes, and found herself looking at a spectacled teenager. His eyes were full of concern and he pulled her towards him and Alia somehow managed to find her footing on the stairs. For some reason, Alia did not let go of his hand and continued to look at him speechless. Realizing she was safe, he smiled and told her, "Thank God, for a minute I thought you were a goner." His words brought her back to earth and she clumsily let go of his hand and whispered a "Thank you."

She somehow found the courage to look at him again, and found him looking at her with a cheeky grin on his face. Alia, till today, didnt understand why she found his grin to be irritating and heard herself snap at him, "Are you blind? Is that how you come down the stairs?" His expression changed from cheeky to one of surprise. She expected him to snap back at her, instead, he looked at her through his spectacles, extended his hand and said - "My bad! Hi, I am Karan and you are?" She hesitatingly took his hand and shook it - "I am Alia, we have recently moved to the third floor." Realization dawned on Karan who said - "Hey, so you are the new guys who have taken Uncle Sharma's flat. I live on the 2nd floor. Again, I am so sorry that I ran into you. I was hurrying to meet my friends at the park". She continued to stare at him as if he was talking something alien. Realizing he was expecting her to respond, she quickly said "No Problem" and rushed upstairs. He called her from behind and said, "Alia, do you want to join us?" Her heart started beating faster not knowing how to respond. She wanted to go with him, it had been one lonely week, and she knew making new friends would help her to adjust better to her new life. But again, she surprised herself when she haughtily told him "No, I have some work" and ran as fast as her feet could take her, praying that he did'nt say anything more.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    8 people like this.
  9. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

10. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

Alia could hear a loud banging and put the pillow on her head to stop the sound. Drowsily, she opened one eye from her bed and realized that someone was at her door. She halfheartedly got out of her bed and walked barefoot towards the front door. She looked through the key hole and found Rina there. Realizing why she was here, she shouted from inside - "Go away, Rina, I am not in the mood to talk". Rina continued to bang at her door. Knowing her friend very well, Alia realized she would not go until she opened the door. As soon as the front door opened, Rina rushed inside and hugged Alia - "Babe, are you ok?" Alia could'nt bring herself to hug Rina back, she just stood blankly with her arms on her side. She had no idea how she had reached home after her confrontation with Karan yesterday afternoon. She just remembered herself walking around the city in the rain, and finally reaching her apartment sometime in the evening. The long walk must have made her tired because she hit the bed as soon as she entered her flat. Rina held Alia's face and with a worried look again asked - "Babe, talk to me." Alia stared at Rina and looking at her worried friend's face brought back memories of yesterday afternoon again. Tears flowed on Alia's face and she hugged Rina and said - "Rina, he has broken me completely, can you believe that, he has done to me what I never ever imagined in my wildest dreams. We are so over now, Rina!! So so over! I do not want to ever see his face again in my life".

5 people like this.