1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 22

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Nov 13, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...college-love-story-part-21-a.html#post2529652

All students were very excited for their graduation. This would be the last working day for the students. The next would be their final exams, after which they would leave college. For many girls, it would be the first time they were wearing saris.

Varsha was planning to wear a lilac coloured sari, with a purple border. Madhu had told her that he wanted to take a picture with her. So he was going to her house and picking her up in the morning. He reached Varsha’s house, and they took a few pictures. One in the garden, one in the veranda, and one in the terrace, and they took a few with her family too. Soon, they both left for college. They parted at the gate, and Varsha went looking for her friends.

She found Priya, Raksha and Vineeth standing outside the auditorium. Priya was in a yellow sari with a pink motif, and Raksha chose to go wear a green and maroon combination. Vineeth was in a blue shirt and a dark blue pair of trousers. She joined them, and they were lost in their chatter. The girls were so busy admiring each other’s saris and observing others around them that they did not notice Harish walk up to them and say hi. Over the weeks, Priya had managed to maintain a formal attitude towards Harish. She did not completely ignore him, but she did not treat him as a friend either. Raksha and Varsha hoped that this was a good sign, and believed that Priya was on the way to recovery.

Harish was in a pair of olive green trousers, and a light green shirt. He looked dashing and professional. They all greeted each other awkwardly. Things had not been easy on anyone since the pair’s break up. Vineeth said, “Let’s go inside, the program will start in a few minutes.” They trooped inside the large auditorium. Final year students from all streams had gathered in the hall for a solemn farewell. Their principal, an experienced lecturer, rose to address the students. “My dear friends, welcome to your Graduation ceremony. As I stand before you, I see an ocean of bright, young, and eager ladies and gentlemen.

I see that your eyes speak of so many things today. I see that your eyes contain fear, to leave your comfortable, familiar, and sheltered environment. I see sorrow, in leaving behind friends, teachers, classmates, and some immaturity!” the students laughed at that. “Yes, now you are graduates. No more little children, so your maturity levels have to go up considerably,” he said with a smile. “I also see excitement. The excitement of doing something new and different, going into an environment that you have never been to before.

Friends, don’t you remember the first day you walked into this college? Do you remember the first day you walked into your school? Wasn’t that a scary time? Everything seemed so big, so confusing, and so intimidating. What was it like after a month or two? Things were a little better, right? You were slowly making friends, getting used to the subjects, getting used to the teachers, and the routine here. And today, you are veterans. If needed, you can guide a new student to settle down in college.

That is all I want you to remember. If something seems intimidating and larger than life, remember that it will soon become smaller than the tiniest grain of dust. Be brave, be strong, and make all of us proud. In a few years’ time, I want to see all of you come and meet me, and tell me your success stories. By success, I don’t mean I want to hear stories of big bucks, I need to know that you are at a happy and contented place. I want to see you in good jobs, doing meaningful work, and earning comfortably. I also want to see you giving back to society, in whatever small way you can. Try to spend your weekends teaching at a government school, or volunteering at a charitable organisation.

On that short note, let me conclude, and let you all enjoy your formal last day of college.” He sat down to thunderous applause. Some of the students were discreetly wiping the corners of their eyes. The principal in his wisdom had conveyed his message in a simple and direct way, without taking too many liberties. There was a small cultural program after that, and some more formalities, after which they broke for lunch. Most students were exchanging numbers and other contact details. Some were making their way to the counter where lunch was being served.

The gang decided to join the lunch counter. It seemed like an unspoken agreement that they eat together one last time before they would part. There was not much talk as they piled food on their plates, and looked around for seats. They found chairs, and arranged them in a circle. Soon, they were busy tucking into their food. Abruptly, Harish said, “I want to thank all of you for being such good friends, and being around in times of need. I will cherish these memories till my dying day. I know that I have caused hurt, and pain, for which no amount of apologies would be sufficient. I am happy that I was able to meet such wonderful friends. I know you might not want to stay in touch with me, but I will be happy if you do. Thanks a lot, guys.” Tears were rolling down his eyes. Everyone was a little shocked to see him cry. Even Priya, who had maintained a cool exterior, could not help it. “Don’t cry, we’ll stay in touch. We’ll meet whenever we can, if we are in the same city.”

The others pitched in too, and all of them spoke emotionally about how they would miss each other, and how much each person meant to them. They reminisced about their good times, the fun times, how much they laughed together, and some of the times when they cried. It was a sad moment, and almost everyone was in tears. They hugged each other, and made promises to meet at least once a month. (The kind of promises we always make, but fail to keep!) They spent the rest of the day in each other’s company, and parted in the evening with much sorrow.

The students did not have much time to brood, as the exams were drawing close by the minute. All of them were concentrating on last minute revision and studies. Most of them were desperately waiting for the exams to finish, so that they could finally take some rest. Varsha had applied for higher studies; she was planning to do her M.A in Sociology.

6 people like this.

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Wow..Suma... I was transported to my college day and honestly even now I miss my friends....

Gud one dear :)

1 person likes this.
  3. crazywriter

Thank you Lalitha Akka :)

4. crazywriter

Thanks for the like, manisha :)

5. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

nice update crazywriter.

1 person likes this.
  6. crazywriter

7. IndhuRamesh

IndhuRamesh Platinum IL'ite

I went back to my college farewell days where all of us were in tears that day.. Everyone said we all will meet at regular intervals.. But then it got lost in everyone's busy schedule... Hmmm.. Beautiful days..

1 person likes this.
  8. crazywriter

Thanks, ya, that happens all the time, its a sad reality, but as long as you can meet whenever possible, its worth it :)

9. passionate89

passionate89 Platinum IL'ite

Was a silent reader of all the parts... too good... :) waiting for the next part very eagerly... :D

1 person likes this.
  10. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Perfectly described on how the graduation day feels like and felt great on reading the Principal's speech.

1 person likes this.