1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 21

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Nov 8, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/stories-fiction/196679-college-love-story-part-20-a.html

Harish’s path

“I walk a lonely road, the only one that I have ever known” the words of Green Day’s popular song, ‘Boulevard of Broken Dreams’ came to Harish’s mind as he made his way to Priya’s house. He knew that he had to get over this unpleasant task. Priya would not take too kindly to him. She would not even listen to him. She might hit him. That was ok; he was fine with getting a few or more blows. His only worry was that he was going to make things worse for himself. How would Priya feel, when she shows the patience to hear him out? No one would want to hear something so unpleasant.

He eventually reached her house, and rang the bell. Malli opened the door. She recognised him and said, “Harish anna, banni,” and invited him inside. She went inside and called Priya’s mother. Aunty came in a few minutes. He greeted her, and they exchanged pleasantries. Then he said, “Aunty, I need to see Priya, I hope she is fine,” Aunty pursed her lips and said, “Hmmm, she is not ok, maga, she is being very difficult. I really don’t know what to do. She has not attended college for the last few days, and the finals are upon you.” “Aunty, don’t worry, a few days of not attending classes will not do much harm,” Harish reassured her. “Can I talk to her, let me see if I can console her.” At this, aunty looked straight at him and asked, “Do you know what is bothering her? I think all you friends know. Tell me, what is wrong?”

Harish was caught in a fix. He did not want to reveal the truth to aunty, as it would result in many complications. It would also put him in very bad light, and he did not have the courage to own up to his faults. He compromised by saying, “We had a disagreement aunty, nothing to worry, we will sort it out.” Aunty was not fully convinced, but she let it go, and said, “Ok, go ahead, she is in her room. Leave the door open, Malli will bring some tea or juice. Which do you prefer?” Harish said, “Anything is fine aunty, don’t take any trouble, a squash will do.” She said, “Alright,” and went inside to oversee Malli.

Harish found himself walking up the stairs to Priya’s room. He was reflecting the number of times he had been to her house, and climbed these stairs. He could not recall a single earlier time where he had felt so sad, guilty, and wrong. Priya was sitting on the couch in the hall, and reading a book. She looked up at the sound of footsteps, and spotting Harish, gave him a cold stare and went back to her book. Harish went up to her, and sat at one of the sofas. “Priya, please, I need to talk to you, can you listen to me?” she turned to him and said, “I don’t want to hear anything from you anymore, please leave me alone. I have had enough of you. I don’t want to go through any more pain or heartbreak.”

He rethought his plan. Would it really be worth revealing his thoughts to Priya? How would it help her or him in any way, in the current scenario? Luckily for him, Malli came up with two glasses of juice. He decided not to tell Priya the other half of the truth for the reason behind his breaking up with her, as it would only make things worse for the both of them. She would have to endure more pain and suffering, and he would have to endure more hate and anger. He said, “Priya, please come to college, there are a few more months for the final exams. I will be out of your life after that. Please don’t spoil your education because of me.” And he got up and left.

He walked out. He had to confide in someone, he really needed to talk to someone. Whom could he call upon at this time? He thought of Vineeth. He was not very sympathetic, but he would have to do. He rang up Vineeth, and asked him to come out. Soon, they both were sitting at a cafe, and sipping tea. Vineeth broke the silence, “What’s up, man? How are you?” That was all Harish was waiting for. He let loose a volley of words. Luckily, Vineeth was up to date with the situation, so he was able to follow Harish’s rant. This went on for a while, Harish venting, and Vineeth listening patiently.

After the initial outburst, he said, “But that is not all, dude, there was one more important reason for me to initiate this break up now. I think I am in love with Varsha. There, I said it! I know it is stupid and unfair on my part to think like that, but it is true.

I can never tell her about this, as she is on the verge of being engaged. I was about to tell Priya, but I realised that it is a dumb thing to do. It would only cause hard feelings between her and Varsha, who is in no way connected to this mess. I am so lost, and confused. I am an idiot. I really don’t see any way out of this mess, dude.

I also know that there is no help for me; I will end up in a heap of rags. This is the end of a lot of things for me.” He said.

Vineeth said, “Harish, I am not going to hide the fact that I am really shocked to hear this. Seriously, Varsha, Priya’s best friend? What were you thinking dude?

Anyway, let me not waste your time by trying to preach, I think you have gone beyond that stage, and in any case, the damage is done. The one good thing that you have done until now is your decision to keep this news hidden from both Priya and Varsha. I would go ahead and say do not tell anyone else about this. It will only result in a lot of complications and problems. Varsha is going to get married soon, and even though we live in a modern time, it might create problems for her. And one piece of advice I will give you is, try to get over Varsha as fast as you can. It is for everybody’s good, including yours.”

Harish knew that Vineeth was speaking for his best interests, but he was finding it extremely difficult to follow his words. For the next few weeks, every day he had to see both Priya and Varsha, and his feelings of remorse and loss kept building. Priya had recovered as best as she could, and was getting back to normal slowly. She managed to maintain a dignified stand in front of her friends.

The gang of friends had disintegrated by now. Harish was keeping a distance from the gang. Vineeth would find it embarrassing to be in the company of only girls, so he did not hang out with them too often. So it was mostly Varsha, Raksha and Priya who spent their time together. Occasionally Vineeth would join them, and they would go out for lunch. Soon, this awkward phase ended with the final exams round the corner. Everyone was frantically preparing for the exams. Some classes were holding parties, and trips. The college held a graduation day for the students. This was a grand affair, with all students in formals. The girls wore saris, and boys were in formal shirts and trousers.

11 people like this.

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

I guessed Harish falling in love with Varsh.... phew what a turn of events....

Goog going Suma :)

1 person likes this.
  3. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

good one !!!

1 person likes this.
  4. nishanaini

nishanaini Senior IL'ite

nice part go on

1 person likes this.
  5. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

i knew it.. i knew it... the cat is out!! ha ha ha !! interesting indeed.. now i dont want you to break varsha from madhav pls :-D

2 people like this.
  6. IndhuRamesh

IndhuRamesh Platinum IL'ite

So as expected, harish fell for varsha.. Too bad for him.. Lets see what happens next..

1 person likes this.
  7. crazywriter

Thank you Lalitha Akka :)

8. crazywriter

Thank you :)

9. crazywriter

Thank you, keep reading

10. crazywriter

Lol! :-D thanks, keep reading, and hopefully not! lets see what happens :)