1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 16

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Oct 7, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/stories-fiction/192651-college-love-story-part-15-a.html

College reopened on a bright Monday morning. Varsha walked into her second year with a lot more confidence than she had a year ago. She had a lot more on her mind now, apart from her studies. She wondered if it would be any different from before. Would she be a different person? Would things change in any way? She met and greeted her friends near the notice board. She reflected on the same meeting a year ago. They all had grown so much in the last year. Vineeth was experimenting with a spunky beard, and Priya and Raksha were teasing him about it. “I am going to make a goatee like Captain Jack Sparrow!” he claimed. “Yeah sure! And I will bring some beads so that you can braid the end like he does!” Raksha shot back at him sarcastically.

There was a lot of laughter and chattering as all the students caught up with their friends after a long break. Varsha had requested Priya not to discuss her impending engagement to Madhav sir, as she wanted to tell them herself. She decided that she would tell them during the lunch break. Class slowly resumed, and their teachers as usual asked them what they did in their vacation. Varsha was anticipating Economics class. She was excited, and at the same time, she felt apprehensive. How would it be with Madhav sir teaching? Would she be able to concentrate on the class in a normal way? Soon, after two classes, it was Economics class. Madhav sir walked in, and greeted the class with his usual impish smile. “So class, had a good vacation? Have you got your heads nice and empty for this year’s portion?” The class giggled and laughed at that. “Well, I am happy, but let me tell you, it is a dialogue which Professor Dumbledore uses in Harry Potter, when he welcomes the students after a vacation. So, all credit goes to Miss Rowling!”

“Alright, this year, before we begin with our portions, let us go through a quick fun exercise. I want all of you to write a 500 word essay on how you spent your holidays.” The class groaned in unison. “Yes yes, I know what you are thinking, how can writing an essay be fun? But try this, and bring it to class next week, we will discuss what each of you did, and the one with the best writing will win a prize! How does that sound?” At the mention of a prize, the class perked up. “Very good, so today I will not begin the lessons. You can take the day off. Try to jot down whatever you can using this time.”

The class soon got busy in their assignment. Within ten minutes, they abandoned their attempts, and started chattering among themselves. Varsha was feeling extremely uncomfortable. She was unable to look at Madhav sir. She was trying to keep up in the conversation among her friends, but she was too conscious and distracted. She kept glancing at sir, to see what he was doing. He had a book open in front of him, and was scribbling something on a notebook. He looked like he was referring to the book and making notes. Vineeth asked her, “Varsha, hello, I am talking to you,” she looked up to see all of them looking at her. “Oh, sorry, I dint hear you.” They continued to chit chat till the end of the hour. When the bell rang, sir picked up his books, and stood up to leave. “Remember, I must have your essays by next Monday.” He then walked out.

When the gang went out for lunch, Varsha decided to break the news to them. She said, “Let’s not eat at the canteen today, it’s too crowded, let’s sit at the tree near the sports ground,” the others agreed. So they all picked up their lunches and sauntered over to the tree, and settled down beneath it. Priya felt that Varsha was planning to tell the others, so she kept quiet. She cleared her throat, when everyone was busy munching. She looked at Priya, who gave her an encouraging nod.

“Guys, I have something to tell you.” They all looked up. “I am getting engaged, I got a proposal, and I said yes to him, so it’s kind of settled.” There was a small silence. Priya broke the suspense. “Congrats, Varsha!” she said, extending her hand. Varsha shook it gratefully, and said, “Thanks, Priya,” The others caught on soon enough. Raksha was a little wary, “Aren’t you too young for marriage?” Varsha replied, “Oh but I am not getting married yet, we will wait till I finish my studies,” she smiled. This consoled Raksha a bit, and she offered her congratulations as well. Harish said, “Wow, so you will be the first one to get married in our group?” Varsha laughed and said, “How can I go before you both?” All the friends laughed at this. Having broken the ice, Varsha found it easier to talk with her friends. “One thing, I don’t plan on telling anyone else in our class about this, so please keep this to yourself guys.” Her friends agreed. The rest of the day passed without any incident.

That evening, she got a call from Madhav sir. “Hi sir!” she said. “Are you free this Saturday Varsha? I would like to meet you for a while. “Oh sure, ya we can meet,” she replied. The rest of the week passed normally. The teachers slowly started the lessons. They had a new English teacher, who had completed her Masters the previous year. Other than that, all their teachers remained the same. Smitha ma’am had cut her hair, and Sunil sir had got a new set of kurtas. They discussed their teachers just like they had in their first year, and made all these observations.

That Saturday, Varsha went to meet Madhav sir. She was a little excited. This was the first time she was meeting him after that initial awkward meeting at Madras Cafe. She walked into the restaurant. This was an upscale place, which looked a little more expensive than the regular jaunts she had been to. Why did Madhav sir choose this place? They settled down at their table, and placed their order.

Sir smiled at her. “I hope you are comfortable,” She replied, “Yes sir, I am,” sir continued, “Good. I have something to tell you. I have got admission to pursue my PhD in Karnatak University, Dharwad. My course will begin sometime next month.” Varsha was happy to hear this, “Oh that is great sir! Congrats! Is that why you picked this place, to celebrate?” she teased him. Sir laughed. “Yes, I suppose you can say that.” Their food arrived by then. “Tuck in,” sir said. For the next ten minutes, there was no talk, as the both of them happily ate their way through their meal.

8 people like this.

2. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Nice update CW. So, Madhav Sir will leave his job to pursue his higher studies??? Now, it will be easy for Varsha also, not to get distracted towards him... Good going....

1 person likes this.
  3. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Oh, that's a good news- Madhav sir pursuing his studies in another college. So tthey'll be getting a new economics lecturer then, am I right? Nevertheless, why didn't Varsha tell her friends that Madhav is the groom?

1 person likes this.
  4. crazywriter

Thanks Madhu. Generally you are allowed to pursue a PhD from your preferred location, you need not be present at the university where you are doing it.

5. crazywriter

Not necessary, like I said, you need not be present at the university where you do your studies. :) Madhav sir can continue to teach in the college, and do his research.

6. suganyarangasam

suganyarangasam Gold IL'ite

hi crazywriter..
    nice update..

why varsha didnt say madhav sir is groom??? also her friends not asked who is groom?

1 person likes this.
  7. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

Hi Crazy Writer, very good today. so Madhav sir is going for higher studies. relief for varsha to continue her studies without any distraction. nice.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bpremalatha

Bpremalatha Gold IL'ite

Beautiful story.. I shall wait for continuation..

1 person likes this.
  9. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Oh... Is it so? In engineering stream, PhD can be done either as part time or full time. I thought he may do it in the university itself, as a full time course. So now, very curious to know how their interactions are gonna be in the college.

1 person likes this.
  10. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Oh so Madhav Sir is doing PhD. Btw is Madhav Sir's presence going to affect Varsha in studies by any manner? You know, somehow I am still not able to accept this proposal. Wonder how Madhav sir came up to it and how Varsha accepted it too! Hope all is well!

1 person likes this.