1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 13

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Sep 13, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/stories-fiction/180994-college-love-story-part-12-a.html

With only a few more weeks left to go for college to reopen, the girls decided to go on a shopping trip. They planned to go on Saturday. They decided that they would leave in the morning, shop all day, and return by early evening. Varsha was up by 7.00, and started getting ready. She took a quick bath, and changed into a skirt and a blouse. This done, she called Priya and Raksha. Priya said that she would go to Raksha’s house, pick her up, and land at Varsha’s place. She said that she would meet Raksha and leave in half an hour. It would take another fifteen to twenty minutes to reach Varsha’s house. That gave Varsha nearly an hour before they came.

She decided to check her mail in the meantime. She had been religiously checking her mail morning and evening, to no avail. The much-awaited email had not yet found its way to her inbox. She logged on, and opened her mail. There were ten unread messages, but they were all notifications, one mail from a cousin in the US, and some other regular spam. She sighed, and logged out. It had been close to three weeks since she had given her email ID to her grandmother. She should have got a mail by now. Why was it being delayed so much? She went to the sitting room and flopped on the couch, switching on the TV. She lazily surfed channels with her head propped on her elbow. Soon, she got bored, and walked out to the veranda. Her brother had left the day’s newspaper on the floor next to the wicker chairs. She picked it up and sat down on the chair. Soon, she was engrossed in the day’s happenings. She had reached the middle page, when the phone rang. She jumped up and ran in to attend it. It was Priya. “We are leaving Raksha’s house now, be ready, see you soon!” Varsha replied, “Ok,” before Priya hung up.

She slipped on her shoes, and went out and sat in the wicker chair again, eagerly waiting for her friends. Soon, she heard the latch of her gate click, and spotted Priya and Raksha walking in. Varsha greeted them, and invited them in for a drink. Raksha said, “We will stop by on our way back, let’s go now.” Priya asked, “Can I leave my scooter inside the gate?” Varsha said, “Of course!” And she helped Priya park her vehicle iniside. Varsha then grabbed her bag, and the three of them trooped out. They caught a bus to the city’s shopping hub. The bus was not too crowded, and they got comfortable seats. They spent the journey laughing and chatting. As soon as they got off, they made their way to the shops. Raksha wanted to visit her favourite brand, so they went there first.

As Raksha tried on the clothes she picked, Priya and Varsha went through the clothes on the stands. Varsha liked the collection they had, and picked out a few to try on. After a little over an hour, they stepped out with shopping bags. The next stop was a textile store. Here they looked at uncut dress materials. “We should have some formal clothes also, when we go to other colleges for fests, it will come in handy.” Priya said. So they selected a few pieces. Varsha was having trouble in deciding between a maroon and green material with a pretty peacock motif, and a lime green embroidered one. Eventually she bought both. “When in doubt, buy both!” said Raksha with a wink.

They stepped out for a bite of lunch. They headed to a popular little fast food joint called ‘Amma’s Own’. This place served yummy food, and had everything from biriyani to Chola Batura to Idly-vada. As they dipped their vada in sambar, and tucked in to crunchy pakodas, the only sounds were that of them munching. They cleaned out their plates, and were sipping lassi, when Priya said, “Shopping can be so tiring, and yet so much fun!” Raksha responded by loudly slurping her drink, much to the amusement of the other two!

After lunch, they went to give their clothes for stitching. Varsha wanted to take it to her regular tailor, so she did not give it for stitching. Raksha and Priya gave their materials, and Varsha waited, giving her suggestion when either of them asked about the design. They stepped out of the tailors’, and decided to head home. “We will have to come again tomorrow for the rest of our stuff,” Priya said. “Why don’t we come next week, that way you both can pick up your clothes also,” Varsha suggested. This sounded like a good plan, so the others agreed. They caught a bus and reached Varsha’s place.

The three of them came in and sat down in the living room. Varsha got up and said, “I will leave my bags in my room. What will you both have?” Priya replied, “Nothing, we are still full from our lunch. We will also come with you.” So they headed to her room. They switched on the fan, and settled down on her bed. As it is with girls, they chatted about everything under the sun that concerned them. In a while, Varsha’s father called her, and suggested they have some tea. So the three of them went into the dining hall, and settled down with their glasses. Varsha suggested they sit on the porch, so the three of them headed out. They sat on the wicker chairs, and lazed. When it started getting dark, Priya and Raksha decided to head home.

They came in, picked up their bags, and said by to Varsha’s parents and brother, and made their way out. Priya eased her bike out, and Raksha hopped on the pillion ride, and they took off after a long drawn out goodbye session outside the gate. Varsha came inside and sat down on the sofa. The day was slowly ending. She had so much fun, that she simply did not want it to end. She thought of checking her mail once more, and then heading off to bed. She planned to skip dinner, as she was still very full.

She came to her room, and switched on her system. She logged in to her mail. Nothing new. She was about to log off, when she spotted an unread mail with the title ‘Hi’. Her heartbeat rose steadily. She opened it to read. It said “Hi Varsha, I know this is an awkward way for an introduction.” Her throat went dry.

5 people like this.

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

wow.............Suma

I am missing all this fun now... How I wishes I was in college...:-( Suma..you make me yearn yaar...

1 person likes this.
  3. crazywriter

Dear Lalitha Akka,

thank you for giving the first fb. :)

Yes, I too miss my college days! in the next meet, we should relive our college time! :)

4. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

oh!! so interesting today. nice narration. eager to read the next.

1 person likes this.
  5. revaraj

revaraj Silver IL'ite

Enjoyed the shopping. Missing my college days.

Now who is tat mailed varsha? Please post soon :)

1 person likes this.
  6. crazywriter

Thanks, pls keep reading and commenting. :)

7. suganyarangasam

suganyarangasam Gold IL'ite

hi crazywriter..
    nice update..

vow they had good time in shopping...
    atlast varsha got mail.. eager to know who is that person..

1 person likes this.
  8. crazywriter

Thanks, keep reading to find out :)

9. crazywriter

Thanks, Suganya :) happy to see your post. Pls keep reading to find out more.

10. ShruthiAKotian

ShruthiAKotian Bronze IL'ite

Great narration..... :thumbsup

1 person likes this.