1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 8

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Aug 19, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/stories-fiction/177272-college-love-story-part-7-a.html

Varsha was a little bewildered by Sunil sir’s response. Harish congratulated her, “See, I told you, you will get the highest,” She blushed at that, and without much talk, they went to Economics class. Madhav sir was waiting for them to enter. “Settle down class, as you all are expecting, I have your papers with me. Once you settle down, I will distribute them.” There was pin drop silence in the class, as everyone wanted to do well in Madhav sir’s paper. Sir started handing out the papers. The gang waited to get theirs’. Varsha was particularly eager to get hers. She got her paper, and saw her marks. She had got 85%. “That is a good score,” said Priya, peeping into her paper.

Soon, the last paper had been distributed. Sir leaned against the table, and smiled at the class. Everyone was busy with their papers, and checking and exchanging marks and answers. “So class, don’t you want to know who got the highest?” There was a chorus of ‘yes sir!’ from the class. Sir said, “Okay, without further ado, I present to you, the highest scorer - Varsha! Congrats.” The class broke into applause, and Varsha could not control her blushes. Her friends were patting her on the back, and her classmates were clapping for her. She felt so full of joy and pride, and looked at Madhav sir, who was beaming at her. He said, “Well done, keep up the good work, Varsha.” Soon, the bell rang, and sir left the class. Everyone got busy with the next class, but Varsha’s mind was still in the moment when she knew that she got the highest in Economics. She was in a dream world, and she heard nothing in the next class, nor did she realise how she reached home.

Her mother asked her, “Got any papers?” she replied, “Yes Amma, I will bring them,” and she took out her papers and told her mother that she had got highest in two papers. “Kannada and Economics.” Her mother asked, “Economics is Madhav sir, right, the one we saw at Ajji’s place?” Varsha took a minute to control her blushes, and said, “Yes, Madhav sir.” Her mother said, “Very good. His aunty met me once when she had come home, you were busy with your sir.” Varsha was too embarrassed by that, and mumbled that she was sleepy, and rushed off to her room.

The next day in college, Harish sought her out. “Hi Varsha,” he said. “Hi Harish, where are the others?” she asked him. “They have gone ahead to class. I was waiting for you.” He smiled at her. “Oh thanks, shall we go in now?” she said, pleased by his sweet gesture. “Ya sure, in a minute.
    Varsha, I need to talk to you, can we bunk Kannada class?” She was a little surprised at this strange request. Why was he asking her to bunk class? And that too Kannada class, where the others would not be around. Priya would not be around. What did he want from her? “What is it that you want to talk about?” she asked him. “Let us talk when we sit somewhere, ok? Now let us go to class. And please don’t mention this to the others.” Varsha was perplexed at this strange request. “We don’t have Kannada class today.” She said. “Ohhhh!” Harish was disappointed. “Ok, tomorrow then,” he said, recovering his sunny mood. Varsha was worried now. What was this new worry for her? Why did Harish want her to bunk a class and sit and talk to her, and that too he said ‘don’t tell the others’. Oh God! I hope it’s nothing serious. She thought to herself. The day went normally, they got one more paper, their Sociology marks. Varsha had 82%, and came second.

Now that the class had got all their marks, they sat and totalled their marks to check their final score. Unsurprisingly, Varsha got a good score. The class was trying to exchange notes with each other to see who had the highest. Amit came over to Varsha and asked her, “What is your total?” she replied, “580,” Amit said, “Whoa! Wait, I’ll just come.” He ran around class for a while, came back and said, “Congrats, you stand first in class!” Priya said, “Yay! Congrats Varsha. You have to give us a treat now!” and hugged her. Varsha was thrilled with her rank. All her friends congratulated her. The rest of the class came over to congratulate her as well. She was surrounded by “Good job Varsha!”, “Well done!”, “Congrats!” for the next few minutes. She was very happy.

As soon as the day ended, she rushed home to convey the good news to her family. On the way, she suddenly remembered Harish’s odd request, and it clouded her mind again. She managed to push it back, and talk to her family with excitement. Her parents were very happy. Her father called her grandparents in Hubli, as well as her paternal grandfather, who was in the US visiting his daughter. He was thrilled at the news. He added, “Why, this is nothing new, our maga (child) has always been a rank holder. Still, it always makes me feel proud about her.” He also spoke to Varsha, and said, “Well done, my child, keep performing well like this, and you can come to the US for your further studies.” Varsha was on cloud nine after hearing her grandfather’s words.

She went to bed with a glowing feeling inside her. She had a deep and contented sleep. The next day, as she was getting ready, she remembered the talk with Harish. She wondered what he wanted to talk to her. What was so urgent that he wanted her to bunk class? Anyway, she reached college and went to her class. Kannada class was in the second hour. She was so worried, she didn’t even notice her classmates’ presence. After first hour, Priya said, “Bye you guys see you next hour.” and she breezed off to French class. Varsha and Harish made their way out of class, and Harish herded her towards the exit of the building. “Let us go and sit somewhere, shall we?” She nodded, and followed him out. “Not the canteen, it will be crowded, let us sit at the sports ground.

They walked towards the sports ground. It was a short distance away, but to Varsha, it felt like a really long walk. They reached the sports ground, and sat down on the benches kept there.

5 people like this.

2. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

wow!! varsha is the topper of the class. good. what harish is going to tell varsha? eager to read the next crazywriter.

1 person likes this.
  3. crazywriter

Thank you, Usha :)

4. crazywriter

ILites, some more responses, please! looking forward to seeing all your comments. :)

5. laksiash

laksiash Senior IL'ite

Your Story narration is superb..it makes me to go back to my college days (7-10 years)....Eagerly waiting for the Next Part...When is the next part?

1 person likes this.
  6. crazywriter

Thank you laksiash, glad you like the story, next part is on its way :)

7. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Hi Crazywriter,

Lovely narration... Enjoyed it fully.... I feel the episode is getting shorter with every week.. Is it my illusion??
    Eager to know what Harish is going to tell Varsha..

1 person likes this.
  8. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

will harish propose to varsha or he want to talk about priya.............ah eagerly waiting plz post the next episode asap.

1 person likes this.
  9. insha

insha Gold IL'ite

Ohh..lot of suspense..You ended in the place where we would want to read more..Very bad........:)

1 person likes this.
  10. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

I second Laksiash's comments. You sure did bring me back to the time when I was studying in college - of having favorite lecturers, the nail-biting tension while waiting to receive mark sheets, etc. :-D

I couldn't read your last few episodes as I was on a vacation, CW. So it was a pleasant surprise to read all those episodes I missed, in one go :-D Keep writing CW, I'm eagerly waiting to read what Harsha has in his mind.

1 person likes this.