1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 5

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Aug 3, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/stories-fiction/175365-college-love-story-part-4-a.html

The class applauded Harish, and he thanked them with a smile and a wave of his hand. He gestured to a dumbstruck Varsha to return to their desk. She did not realise that he had observed her so closely, and knew so much about her. Harish sat with Priya, who did not find it weird at all. She smiled at him. When she noticed Varsha, she gave her also a smile, and turned to the next person who had come up to talk. Varsha found this to be peculiar at the same time nice. She tried to listen to Vineet introducing his partner, but was unable to concentrate. At the end of the class, Madhav sir dismissed them. Varsha tried to calm herself down by thinking that she had over reacted, and neither Harish nor Priya were uncomfortable.

Slowly the students fell into a pattern. They got used to their new subjects, and their teachers. Varsha also got used to her new friends. She realised with time that Harish was a friendly person by nature, and he spoke to everyone in the same way in which he spoke to her. She started looking forward to the company of the gang. She simply loved Madhav sir’s classes. Economics was getting to be her favourite subject. At the same time, she was doing well in her other classes as well. Soon, the months passed by, and it was time for the terminal exam.

The class was preparing for each subject. The teachers were giving their own lectures to the class. “You must do well; this is a chance for you to prove yourself. Study hard, and do not disappoint me.” Was what most of the teachers were saying. They were also giving a lot of notes, and urging the students to visit the library, something which a lot of them had not done yet, in spite of being in college for three months now. Madhav sir was the only one who did not pressurise them. All that he would say was, “I have taught you for a while, if you have been paying attention and taking notes, you will do well. It is in your own interest.” Smitha ma’am gave them some sample question papers from the previous year’s exams, and told them to study well.

The exams were spread over two weeks. It started on Thursday, and ended on the next Wednesday. Varsha was preparing well; and was not too scared of facing the exams. The exams started with everyone geared up for it. Varsha found that she had done a good job in her preparation, and the question papers were ok. After each exam, the gang met to discuss how they had fared. Most of them had done well. On the last day of the exam, they all gathered in the canteen. “Yes! At last the exams are over!” Raksha said. “Thank God! Now I can sleep in peace.” Vineet responded with a grin. “All that you can think of is sleeping and eating,” said Priya. “Hey, if you all are free, let us plan a trip somewhere,” Raksha said, “I may not be around for a few days, I am going on a trip with my family.” Vineet grumbled, “I will be spending all my precious time sleeping and eating. If I can spare some time, I will come.” Priya turned to Varsha, “What about you, Priya?” “I am going to my hometown in Hubli. I don’t think I can make it, sorry.” Harish said, “Come on, all of you must come, no excuses!” Raksha said, “Keep it next week, then I can come. After that I will be travelling with my family.” Varsha said, “Um, you guys carry on this time, I will come the next time. My tickets are booked, and this is something we do as a family. Sorry.” Priya said with a smile, “Oh ok, no problem then, next time.” Harish said, “I wish we all could have gone; that would have been nice.”

Varsha found herself on a train to her grandparents’ place in Hubli the next day. It was her mother’s place. The entire family managed to make a long trip to Hubli at least once or twice a year. Her father also managed to take a few days off work, and spend some time with his in-laws. Varsha’s younger brother was in ninth standard, and he loved going to his grandparents’ home. Varsha enjoyed it as much too; she loved the simple life at the village. The family made the trip by either bus, train, or their car. Varsha preferred going by train. They reached after a night’s journey. This time they were spending two weeks at Hubli. They got off the train, and made their way to their grandparents’ ancestral house. It was a big house, and always welcomed people warmly. The family members also treated their guests with warmth and care. A few of Varsha’s aunts and uncles lived there, and her cousins as well.

As the vacation progressed, Varsha found herself thinking about her college, friends, and teachers. What would Smitha ma’am be doing, what would Sunil sir be doing, what would Madhav sir be doing for their vacations? She also thought about her friends and classmates. What would her gang be doing? Did they go for their trip? Next time, she told herself, I will join them.

A few days later, she dropped in to her neighbour’s place for a visit. The aunty there was her grandma’s friend, so she went to say hello. After exchanging pleasantries, aunty enquired about her college. “So, first time in college. How do you like it?” Varsha replied, “It’s nice, aunty. I really love my college. The teachers and students are nice. The subjects are fun too.” They chatted for a while, and then Varsha excused herself. “I will come back later, aunty, we will talk some more!” she grinned. Aunty said, “Oh yes! I am not going to let you go so easily! Come tomorrow to help me make some snacks. My nephew is coming to visit me. I am making Obbattu. You can help me with it.” Varsha promised to help her the next day, and returned home.

The next day she came over to help aunty prepare Obbattu, which is a sweet dish. The filling is made using jaggery and coconut, and it is stuffed inside a roti like covering, and cooked. In some other places of south India, it is known as Boli. It is a thin and soft sweet. Varsha and aunty had a lot of fun together, chatting and laughing. Around noon, they finished. Varsha said, “Ok aunty, I’ll come later.” Aunty replied, “Ok ma, come, my nephew will come anytime.” Varsha stepped out of the gate, waved at aunty and went inside her gate. As she was going inside, she noticed an auto at aunty’s gate. “Aunty’s nephew has come already? Thank God I left just in time, I look so messy after the sweet making!” she thought to herself. Curiously, she waited to see the nephew. He was paying the auto. He then unloaded his bag, and turned to open the gate. That was when Varsha saw his face. She was astonished, and stood rooted to the spot. She had recognised the nephew; it was a person she knew.

7 people like this.

2. Cindrella2012

Cindrella2012 Silver IL'ite

Crazy writerr!!!! Like Like Like Like!!!! Got it first this time tooooo:D

1 person likes this.
  3. insha

insha Gold IL'ite

Was the nephew Harish?Maybe we got to wait and see.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cindrella2012

Please tell me that person was Harish;) Aweesomeee narration!!! you took me along with varsh to Hubli!!!! Next part sooon pleaseeee.... i am dying out of excitement again!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. crazywriter

Hahaha!! :D cinderella, you are super fast! :) ok, now that you have been the first one to like and post, please take your time, and read the episode :) then post your comments too! :)

6. Cindrella2012

I have already done that tooo!!!!! and posted my comments as welll !!! Am going crazyyy :D

1 person likes this.
  7. crazywriter

Insha and Cinderella - wow! did you both read it fully so soon?!?!

8. crazywriter

Yes, wait and watch! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Cindrella2012

Yep!!!!!Give few more minutes!!! i might count the number of words!!!!!:D:D

Actually I thought Varsh and harish would end up going for tour alone..!!!! but what a mighty twist you gave!!!:D

1 person likes this.
  10. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

cindrella... i liked your quote ""
    Its true money cant buy happiness, but stil.. its much better to cry in a BMW than on a bicycle!!!

I smile because I have no idea what's going on Harhar""