1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 3

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Jul 22, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/stories-fiction/173907-college-love-story-part-2-a.html

Now that she knew that Harish and Priya were in a relationship, Varsha relaxed. Even though it sounded a little silly to her, she felt more comfortable around him. She liked Priya and Harish. She was happy that they were together. She also admired the fact that Priya was not at all worried that she and Harish were in the same class together, without her. It looked like Priya and Harish were in a secure, happy, and comfortable relationship.

Varsha made sure she read up on Kannada literature over the next few days, so that she would be prepared for the quiz. The other classes went on as usual, and the students were gradually getting to know each other. Everyone remembered Madhav sir, the Economics teacher’s assignment for the next Monday. They were trying to get to know each other as best as they could, so that they would be able to introduce them well in front of the class. Raksha and Priya decided to introduce each other, and Vineet was going to introduce a boy named Amit, who sat behind them.

On Thursday at Kannada class, Varsha and Harish were in the same group. Sunil sir, the Kannada teacher, had divided the class into five groups. The questions were fun, and the class enjoyed themselves. Some questions were very basic, like, which is the birthplace of Kuvempu. (Kuvempu is one of the foremost literary geniuses in Karnataka. He was hailed as Rashtrakavi, and was among the first few to receive the Jnanapitha award for Kannada. He was born in Chickmagalur.) Some other questions were a little tough, and Varsha’s team depended on her to save the situation. Luckily, she knew most of the answers, and she was able to answer them. No surprises, at the end of the class, Varsha and Harish’s team won the quiz. The team was thrilled, and gave each other hi fives.

After class, they went to the next hour, which was Economics. Madhav sir was ready for them. He was starting a new theory that day, the concept of Utility. He was a very patient teacher, and made sure that everyone followed the lecture. The class always enjoyed his lectures.

Later, the gang was sitting and chatting, and the discussion turned to their teachers, or rather their appearance. They were talking about their teachers’ clothes like only college students can. In the immaturity of youth, they were talking about their teachers’ looks. “I like Sunil sir, he always wears kurtas and pant. I also like his cloth bag,” said Harish. “That is a typical writer’s look!” Priya said. “Smitha ma’am, our history teacher is pretty. I love her saris. She wears them well.” Raksha said. Vineet looked at Varsha and asked her, “Who is your favourite?” Varsha smiled. “Go on, tell us,” Priya asked, curiously. “For me, it has to be Madhav sir. He is a tall and statuesque man. He uses his hands a lot while talking, which holds everybody’s attention. He always wears well pressed clothes, and is well groomed.” Raksha added, “I also like his moustache!” Vineet found that hilarious, and started laughing. “Hey, don’t make fun of him,” Varsha said, a little hurt. “I am not making fun of him, I am making fun of Raksha,” Vineet said with a smile. That pacified Varsha.

“Class, Monday is introductions. I hope you all are prepared. I would like to hear you all talk about each other.” Madhav sir said with a smile as he left the class on Friday. The whole class started chattering after that, making sure that they had all the facts right. Priya and Raksha decided to write things down in a sheet of paper, so that they would not forget anything. “We need not look at it when we talk, but better to put it down,” said Raksha. Vineet turned to Amit, and started asking him about his favourite dish. “That is all Vineet can think of, food!” said Harish to Varsha with a smile. She smiled back as she prepared to write down points on a paper. “You need to write it down?” he asked her. “I don’t want to forget anything, Raksha is right,” she replied. “Don’t you want to write it down?” he smiled at her, “Let me come sit next to you, I can’t hear you.” and he came and sat next to Varsha at the corner of the bench. In spite of her earlier confidence, Varsha felt a little awkward. She noticed that Harish had brown eyes. “I don’t have to write it down, I can remember stuff pretty well,” he said.

They both spent the next half an hour talking about each other, telling each other their favourite movies, books that they read, sports, hobbies, and everything. Priya interrupted them after a while. “Hey you guys, you don’t have to write an exam!” she laughed at their seriousness. “We are going for coffee, you both come and join us, okay?” and the three of them left. Varsha and Harish continued to talk to each other. “We have so much in common!” he exclaimed. Varsha smiled at him, “I know, I never thought I would find someone who liked strawberry jam with dosas.” Harish laughed at her observation. “And I did not think that I would see anyone who collected stamps from Sri Lanka. Priya thinks I am a freak because of that strange stamp album. It has only Lankan stamps.” Varsha was quiet; she did not know what to say to that. “We met a few years back, and started going out last year.” He said, noticing her silence. “Oh that’s sweet. You both make a very good couple.” She said, “Thank you, Varsha,” Harish said, “Let us go, they will be waiting for us.”

The talk in the canteen was about the weekend. Vineet was going to wake up early in the morning and sleep till evening, and then wake up and go to sleep again. The girls were teasing him about this. “Why do you want to even wake up, just keep sleeping,” Raksha said. “Oh no, that would make me a sloth, so I have to at least pretend that I woke up,” he said. “When will you eat?” Harish asked, joining the table. Varsha noticed that he sat next to Priya. “Oh, I might get up if I am hungry, and have something.” Vineet replied in a casual tone. The others laughed at him. Raksha looked at Varsha. “What are your plans?” Harish replied before she could, “She plans to study, or read, right Varsha?” the others laughed. Varsha smiled at them, “I was thinking I might read,” Harish grinned, “Just as I thought!” Priya said, “Hey you all, next weekend there will be an unofficial reunion at school. Let us go,” Harish, Raksha and Vineet agreed. Varsha smiled at their excitement. “Would you like to join us, Varsha?” Priya said, smartly sensing Varsha’s feelings. “Oh no, I don’t think I can come, it is your school reunion, and it is on a weekend, you guys go ahead.” Raksha, the practical one, said, “It is a week away, let us not worry about it now.”

8 people like this.

2. crazywriter

Would love to see some comments also IL. :)

3. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

you have nicely narrated the happenings in a class room. good to read.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Very nice Crazywriter! Loved your narration :-D Feel like I'm going back to my college days while reading this :-D

1 person likes this.
  5. crazywriter

thanks, glad you like it :)

6. crazywriter

thank you sofea, glad you are enjoying it :)

7. crazywriter

thank you all for the likes also! :)

8. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Had a nice reading Crazywriter
    Is Varsha developing a soft corner for Harish??? :p
    Interesting!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Good going crazywriter :) narration is awesome... i could visualize the happenings...
    My wait starts again... looking forward for next episode...

1 person likes this.
  10. crazywriter

Thanks, mahishree :) keep reading to know more! :D