1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A lesson in humanity

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by privytrifles, Feb 27, 2012.

1. privytrifles

privytrifles Silver IL'ite

There is an elderly security guard at my work place. I am on very good terms with him and we talk very often.

Though on and off I had come across incidents where I would find him calling an ambulance for an injured dog lying on the road or sharing his lunch with the street kids some afternoon. I didn’t know that someday I would look upto him as an epitome of humanity.

Every morning he comes to greet me at my desk and we exchange pleasantries. One day when he came to my desk in the morning, he was exceptionally happy. I could make that out from his face. Before I could ask him the reason for the same, he immediately told me that his eldest son is engaged to be married in next month. I congratulated him and then he started telling me about his would-be-daughter-in-law. That’s when I came to know that his would-be-daughter-in-law belonged to a different religion. Given the fact that he himself was a very religious person it was very obvious for me to ask if he was happy with this match. And trust me his answer shocked me.

He told me “I am more than happy for my son. He is getting married to someone whom he loves and who loves him in return. She is a very nice girl from a decent family with a proper upbringing. What more could you ask for.” What he said next was an eye opener. He said “Love is the feeling that just develops and you don’t have any say in that. It’s something as natural as breathing. You can’t force yourself to love someone. I know these days, everyone tries to understand the caste, creed, family background etc etc before falling in love with a person. But then that’s what you do when you are out to buy any commodity. Love is not a commodity. And incase this is the way you find love than I am sorry to say that’s not love. It’s a business (a sauda). And remember “Pyar main sauda nahi hota.”

He smiled and left my desk to begin his day. But whatever he said left a very strong impression on my mind. What is that this person who is not even educated beyond a 10th class could understand love so deeply and we equipped with all our degrees couldn’t understand this basic fact of our lives. How many times have we been compassionate towards our other fellow human beings leave alone towards an animal lying on the road? And how many times have we analysed love in the manner in which he did?

Its true…….God teaches us lessons in various forms and I learnt a beautiful unforgettable lesson in humanity and love from this “Chacha” as I fondly call him!

6 people like this.

2. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

good one.. u don't have to earn degrees to be humane, a good upbringing should be enough

3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear privetrifles
    Such a post cannot or should not go unnoticed.....thank you for sharing....in life we do Learn a lot from people around us. Many a times the so called white collared academically correct ones have a complete inhuman side, whereas a rag-picker might teach you better values in life. I too have been in situations similar as yours where I could take a lesson or two from such kind souls around me....... Whereas some of the big time corporate people who I have dealt with (and who act polished and class), when u get to know them closer , I have seen the reflection of greed, jealousness and pride. Thank you "......and how true....love is that eternal feeling that transcends time and space, builds bridges and demolishes barriers.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  4. privytrifles

Thanks a lot. Your kind words of inspiration mean a lot to me!:)

5. kottravai

kottravai Gold IL'ite

Privy,
    That's such a heart-warming post with a wonderful message. I'd like to second Mega in her thoughts on this thread. To be kind and compassionate does not require education or status. It stems from the feeling of seeing every living being as oneself. There was a Tamil saint by name Vallalar who said that every time he saw a withered plant, he withered in agony. It's my personal belief that all rituals and ceremonies and offerings to God are useless when one ignores the poor beggar standing outside the home begging alms. God would be happier if that beggar was served some morsel of food than being shooed away. JMO.

How rightly your friend has mentioned that Love is not a business! What many so called well-educated, well-off people could not understand or come to terms with, he has understood and accepted beautifully. My salutations to him, :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown, irrespective of whether he is fictional or not.

6. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

Excellent.. He is a great man i should say. I run out of words to appreciate ur thread. Its simply superb. I remember this quote "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity".

7. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

His son is very lucky to have such a father , you for knowing him and we too because of you we came to know of him and learn the meaning of humanity.From now Iwill always remember pyar koi sauda nahi. :thumbsup Thank you for posting this.

8. privytrifles

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity". Nice quote - thanks for sharing it!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  9. privytrifles

@ Kottravai

No he is not fictional. He actually exists. Though I have changed my job after that I am still in touch with him. His story touched me somewhere hence I wrote this. It is a real life incident which happened to me.

I completely agree with you about all this rituals and ceremonies we tend to do to please God

10. privytrifles

@ aaral

Thanks - I am really touched by the positive feedback I have got from here. You know I also want to remember these lines specially when tomorrow I have will have children and when they will grow up ,they will want to marry someone of their own choice. At that time I want to trust my upbringing and remember what this Chacha has told me :)