1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Buried Memories - Episode 18

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by sapthu02, Dec 5, 2011.

1. sapthu02

sapthu02 Gold IL'ite

Episode 18

Shanthi and Shankar were in the same car while they returned back from Hyderabad. The entire trip prevailed with silence and they didn’t speak anything. The flight journey was also the same. Their sons and daughter in laws were busy talking to each other. Arjun was busy with his own work. He was busy with his official stuffs. Both the daughter in laws were busy discussing what colour saree to wear and how was the function etc.

As Shanthi saw the girls and her sons so happy, she turned to see her husband. He had a sign of relief on his face. He was just relaxing and was just looking out at the clouds. Shanthi could not hold it any longer. She slowly started the topic asking..” ennanga, nan onnu ketkattuma?(shall I ask you something).

Shankar was sure of what the whole topic will be about. He smiled at her and asked,” Is it that why I said OK for Abirami is all that you want to know?”. As usual this couple didn’t fail to understand each other well. He then smiled at her and said,” Its not that I didn’t want to accept for our Tarun’s proposal. But the whole point was he was to marry a widow and I was not able to accept that. I tried to pacify myself. I was not able to take it as my son was to be a second hand to a girl. Though that didn’t bother him much, it did for me. But I eventually failed to remember that the fact that our son is also a widower now, not, by seeing the terms of the agreement.

I am old Shanthi, my mind failed to understand the concepts. The business and its tactics was much easy than human love and relationships . I didn’t doubt him either, I was sure that his choice would not be bad. And the first incident was the major mistake that we did unknowingly, which had caused so much of pain and agony which he came out just becoz of this girl.
    I was sitting on the other side of the terrace and just above Tarun’s room balcony. I just overheard him talking to Abirami. He confirmed with her that at any cost he would make me agree and expressed his love for her. He also mentioned more than twice that he doesn’t care about her past and just a new start of their lives was all that he wanted.

After hearing this tell me Shanthi, what else can I do? Do you think I can make him agree for my disapproval. All that we need at the end of the day is to see our kids happy. I am blessed and more than happy with all the relationships I have and had. When I think about you, you have not only have been my better half, you were more than everything which you know better than what I wanna explain. My daughter in laws are just the best we have ever chosen for our sons and needless to say they are really happy with their lives. Business tension is less for me now after these two guys took it over and I am over relaxed. These 6 years of Tarun’s future and his life’s thought haunted me.

Now I am happy Shanthi. I am sure Abirami is one of the best too among my three daughters – so called daughter in laws.. what do you say?”

Shanthi smiled and with a tear she just pressed a small kiss on his hand. She just relaxed on his shoulders and closed her eyes. In next few days the marriage ceremony was to happen and the third daughter in law will come home. All the three sons together at home. What else a mother can expect?

The flight landed in Chennai airport. Arjun excused himself and rushed to his home. He started packing his things to go to Poonampalayam. And he was to go by car and on the way he would stop in Trichy airport and pick up his brother, kids and his sister in law. He was very excited. Tarun and his family assured that they will be there at the function one week before. In another 20 days the family get together is to start.

Arjun packed his clothes. This time with so much of happiness he headed towards Trichy airport. Reetha, Arjun’s wife was already with his parents. He called them and said that he had already reached the airport and he was waiting for them to come. The whole family was excited. It was already 7 pm. Its just a 10 km distance from Trichy to Poonampalayam.

Seetha was almost on her heels. She was overjoyed and didn’t know what to do. She first asked Reetha to prepare Aarathi for her son and daughter in law. Then she was busy in the kitchen. She had prepared Neeraj’s favourite for dinner. She was not sure if the kids will have the same. She was told that Tara is not fussy and she was more of that adjustment character. But she always had a question what if Tara doesn’t like to stay here. So she was busy set to impress her daughter in law on the first day itself.

Seetha double checked the food items. She had prepared Mutton kulambu, Rice, Lemon Rasam, Kasi Halwa, coconut chutney and prawns fry. She also informed her maid that as soon as they come first she should offer a good filter coffee. She made arrangements for the kids too. She got all possible brands to prepare a drink for the kids. She arranged her shelf starting with Horlicks, Viva, Boost etc and checked if all were set.

She ran to the bedroom and dressed up again. Her husband looked at her and smiled. She understood that and she replied, “ Vara pora marumagalluku yenna pidika vennama?” (our daughter in law should like me na?). She was not the old mother in law kind. She was just a great lady.

She could hear the car beeps and she just ran to door. As she ran she called Reetha and her maid and screamed to her husband to come to the door as well. Two cars came inside the gate. It drove through the empty lands and it was a distance of 500 – 600 mts from the gate to the main house. The whole travel inside was in the fields. The kids were over joyed. They were excited and this was the first time they have been to a village of this sort.

The Innova and the Wagon R fled to the front door and the first one to jump out was Neeraj. He instantly hugged Seetha and immediately opened the door and the kids just jumped out. Seetha was overjoyed and she was just in a fix of whom to greet first. The kids screamed, Seetha Patti and ran to the Thatha with whom they chatted every day via cyber. She just gave a puzzled look and Neeraj just called Tara and .. There she was… she was in a green saree with free hair. She was just beautiful. Seetha smiled as the tears fell from her cheeks and rushed to hug the most waited daughter in law.

That was a beautiful scene indeed. And it was almost more than 10 mins the hugging session was at the main door and Reetha could not wait any longer. She screamed,” way, way ppl.. hey getting arathi for the family now let Neeru mama’s family stand pa…. “. Seetha realized that she forgot this custom in the happiness. She just welcomed them and took them to the hall.

Few mins of silence and just as normal Neeraj roamed inside the house. The kids stuck with their thatha (grandpa). All doing their work now.. and Tara was left alone with Seetha now. As there was complete silence…. Seetha broke in, “ Is it now that you wanted to see us.. why you didn’t do that earlier.? We could have seen the kids grow.. ..”, and before she completed Tara cried. Seetha sat next to her and both started crying as Arjun walked to them.. “ Enough ladies.. its high time to throw away the sentimental scene and prepare something for my empty tummy……”.
    Reetha walked with a tray of coffee cup and she greeted Tara. She enquired about the travel and asked her to have the coffee. Grandpa was so busy with the kids that he failed to even greet the daughter in law. The kids slowly got him to the hall and Tara stood up to greet him. She fell on his feet and the kids did the same too. That was a lovely moment and that was the first time.. Tara felt the warmth of people, family and the real feeling of togetherness. She was now sure she isn’t alone…………….

As the enjoyment and happiness surrounded. Neeraj just saw them and smiled. This was all that he wanted.. his wife with his family. Though it took a little longer, yet that was a wonderful start indeed. The silence was broken when the maid came to Tara and asked, “ Amma, I have arranged for hot water for you and kids, would you to refresh now or a little while later..?, On hearing this Aarya ran to his Grandpa and said, “ Thatha lets go the well to take a shower…….” And his Grandpa, said,” Not now sonny, I will take you tomorrow… do you know Swimming?”

As there was happiness on both the ends.. in Chennai and Poonampalayam.. the destiny is waiting for its chance to play its game………………

Memories will continue……………

1 person likes this.

2. chenchal009

chenchal009 Senior IL'ite

Sapthu02 this is cool, shall incorporate a scene played in village for sure in my next story.

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The union of MIL and DIL was excellent.

Oh why should that moment come?? Is it necessary that these 2 meet face to face.........
    I want to know what will happened when they met and don't want to know it is something sad....
    But whatever the condition is, we all at some time of our life face such critical condition.
    What is going to be Traun and tara's reaction...

4. lovelyme

lovelyme Silver IL'ite

Wonderful narration...... great work sapthu........ Go ahead bud

5. sapthu02

sapthu02 Gold IL'ite

Thank you ppl.. MY next episode is on the way... Tarun would definitely meet Tara.. much before the function.. yet. thats a twist again..

These comments are encouraging me to write more..

6. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

That was great Saptu...

Shanti

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

sooper dooper cute...i really loved the lines told by the MIL

“ Vara pora marumagalluku yenna pidika vennama?”

too cute and a lovable family indeed...
    nice to read :)

8. sapthu02

sapthu02 Gold IL'ite