1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Loved her with a love - Part 1

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Rajiv, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Rajiv

Rajiv Gold IL'ite

Spend some of your beautiful minutes to read this beautiful story. This is not my story. Just felt that i should share with this with my friends.

Episode 1

We are planning to go for a movie on Saturday. How many of you would be interested?" one Thursday end of the day, our class rep asked this. All of us raised our hands except Nethra. He said, "Okay, interested people, please bring 120 bucks tomorrow so we can book the tickets as fast as we can" All of us tapped our desks with joy. It had been two months since we joined college and we knew each other in the class by their names and our friendship' gang started to build up. There was lot of fun during class and off class hours. All of us started to go out for movies, restaurants, birthday parties etc, except her.

Nethra used to be alone and aloof always. She used to sit in the last bench and never spoke with anyone. All the other students were scared to talk to her as she was grumpy and a cranky person. She had displayed her anger many a times with other students. She was good looking but I think she would look beautiful if she smiled because no one had ever seen her smiling. Her pet name was "Miss. Long Face". None of us in the class liked her but she used to do her assignments and record works promptly and had a good name among the lecturers. She was good at studies too and class topper while I used to rank from 4 to 7.

One day as usual all the boys in the class were discussing about the girls in the college; when the topic went on her. One boy said, "I pity her husband he is gonna have tough time with this girl". Another boy said, "The person who makes her smile will be an extraordinarily talented person because she is such a bad tempered girl" One jumped up and said, "Is there anybody who is ready for a challenge?" Everyone asked "what will be the challenge and the bet?" He said, "1000 bugs" "What's the challenge?" everyone asked. He said, "The challenge is to befriend to Miss. Long face". Since the bet and challenge was attractive I was interested in trying it; so I took up the challenge.

I thought of a plan to befriend her and as per my plan I did not attend the entire day's class the next Monday. On Tuesday when I went to class I asked my friends, "What were the assignments or records that were given yesterday?" They said, "The Chemistry record need to be completed till date and the deadline to submit for corrections is on Friday" I said, "Oh, just three days for Friday. Has anybody completed the record?"

They said, "No, not yet. We have lot of experiments pending to be completed"

I went to her and said, "Hi Nethra"

She was writing something and when she heard me, she raised her head and looked at me sternly and asked, "What?"

I asked, "Have you completed the chemistry record?"

Sternly she said, "Yes"

I said, "I did not attend the last chemistry class and I heard that we need to submit the record by this Friday. Nobody else in the class has completed it so it would be great if you could lend me your record. I'll return it tomorrow" With lots of hesitation she gave me the record and in a warning tone she said, "Handle it carefully and return it tomorrow without fail"

I took the record notebook from her and intentionally left it at home on the day I promised to return back in order to develop friendship. I was so impressed by the way she has maintained it. Her handwriting was beautiful and the highlighting & markings, presentation of the record was mind blowing. I liked her record and I liked her too, but she was a mystery. I was curious to find out the secret behind her callous nature.

Episode 2:

On Wednesday she asked me, "Where is my record?"

"Your presentation skill is very impressive" I said.

She asked, "Where is my record?"

"I complimented about your record" I said

She said, "I don't need your compliment, I need my record?"

"I didn't complete it yet, shall I give it tomorrow?" I asked

"I need it by tomorrow without fail" furiously she said and turned to leave my desk.

"Can you remind me in the morning so I won't forget? Please and this is my number" saying this I wrote my number on a piece of paper and gave it to her as she was about to leave.

She plucked the paper and walked off rapidly without saying anything. I knew this was the right way to get her number.

On Thursday morning she called me early in the morning and said, "Nethra here, called you to remind about the record book" saying this she disconnected the call.

As soon as I came to the class she asked, "My record book"

I searched my bag and hit my head and said, "Oh I am sorry, it's not there in my bag, I forgot to bring it. Give me your address after the class I will bring it to your home"

She said, "I know you'll do like this. Irresponsible fellow, that's why I hesitated to give it, Okay I will wait near the college entrance in the evening bring it to the college"

I said, "It will be late and you have to wait for a long time. My home is far away and it is my fault so I will bring it to your home"

Stubbornly she said the same thing again, "I will wait near the college entrance till you get it. Around what time will be here?"

I said, "6. 30 pm"

She said, "I'll wait in the library till you reach the college. Once you reach the college give me a call and then I'll come out"

I said, "Okay, sounds good"

Episode 3

In the evening I reached the college before 6.30 but was hiding near a tree and was waiting. She called me up at 6.30 but I didn't answer. About 15 mins later she came out and was waiting near the entrance. It was around 7.15, I went there and she saw me as if she's gonna smolder me to flames. "I'm very sorry, I had a flat tyre and I had to get it fixed and that was the reason for the delay" saying this I handed over the record book and said, "Thanks a bunch and I'm extremely sorry for the delay in returning the record as well as for making you wait for such a long time"

She grabbed the record from me and started walking without saying anything.

I started my bike and went near her and said, "Come I'll drop you home, it's dark"

She walked hastily towards an auto rickshaw coming towards us. She hired the auto rickshaw and got into it. I followed her; after sometime the auto rickshaw stopped she got down and asked, "Why are you following me?"

I said, "It is my fault and I'm responsible for your safety, its dark and the area is lonely; no street lights too. How can I trust a stranger and send you in an auto rickshaw? Come with me or if you prefer the auto rickshaw, you can go but I'll follow you till you reach your place to ensure you reach safely" and smiled.

She went to the auto rickshaw, paid him and came and sat on my bike. I started the bike and she kept giving me instructions as "left, right, and straight" she didn't speak anything except this. After 30 mins she said, "Stop" near a ladies hostel. I asked, "Oh you stay in a hostel, which is your native, where are your parents? As soon as I stopped she got down and walked off without saying anything.

I went home and told my Mom all that happened today. My Mom said, "Poor girl, she must be feeling home sick and that's why is always sad. Food is not good in some hostels and that could also add up to her sadness"

I said, "Yeah Mom, maybe that's the reason she is always sad. Mom, please prepare my favorite Poori tomorrow for breakfast and pack it for her too mom.

She said, "Okay, I'll do it"

Episode 4

The next day I went to her and said, "Hi" and placed the lunch box in her desk and said, "My mom prepared Poori today; it's my favorite so I got it for you too. Have it during the break" I didn't wait for her response and went to my desk.

In the evening I found the box in the place where I placed it, she didn't take it too. I felt bad, I troubled my Mom and if I take it back home she'll feel bad too. I didn't want to waste it so I took it home and put it in the microwave and had it and told my mom what happened.

She said, "It is okay, never mind, maybe she didn't like poori that's why she didn't eat" I said, "I think she didn't even open the box mom". She said, "It's okay, leave it"

I didn't stop bringing food for her from my home. Every day I used to give her a box. She didn't touch it at all. One day, I checked her date of birth with the class rep and found that she was a year and three months younger to me (I missed a year when I was studying 4th standard due to chicken pox) and her birthday is a week ahead. There was a good practice in our class and it is we used to collect 25 bucks from everyone in the class every month and celebrate our classmate's birthday. It was the activity that excited everyone.

On her birthday, before she could come I placed a gift on her desk. When she saw the gift she was surprised and was wondering if it was for her. I went to her desk and said, "Happy birthday. This is my birthday gift for you"

She didn't even open it but threw it on my desk and saying, I don't like gifts and I don't have to take anything from you. Being insulted in front of the class I felt ashamed and walked to my desk. I was very disappointed by her behavior; yet I couldn't hate her because I had a soft corner for her. I didn't stop bringing food for her even after this incident and as usual she did not take it. I liked her but not her behavior. Though initially it was the challenge that made me talk to her but now there was an unusual feeling that made me cling on to her and fight for her friendship.

About a fortnight passed and to my surprise, one day the box I gave her was empty. I was very happy and asked her if she liked the food. She said, "Yes, it was nice. Thanks"

Episode 5

The next day during lunch break I asked her, "Shall I join you for lunch?" She said, "Okay" and we occupied a table. I grabbed her box and pushed my box to her and said, "Lets exchange our lunch today" before she could refuse I opened the box and started eating. You know it was sick and I felt like saying yuck; but since she'll feel bad I said, "Hmmm tastes good henceforth we'll exchange our lunch, okay" She didn't say anything but started to eat.

I asked, "How is it? She said, "Very tasty" I continued, "my mom prepares tasty food; I love all the dishes she prepares and I asked, "How about you?" Her face turned pale and few tear droplets fell from her eyes on the table. She was struggling to pretend as if she was not crying and without finishing her lunch she left the place. I thought she was missing her parents and I felt bad that I reminded her of them.

The boy who placed the bet came and asked, "How did you befriend her? Oh, I failed the bet"

I said, "Never mind about the bet, I just took it because the challenge was interesting and not for money"

I went to her desk, returned her lunch box and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you"

She said, "It is okay" and started to write some record. I left the place in dismay.

At home during our dinner I told my mom about her. My dad said, "Arjun, bring her home one day, poor little girl she must be missing her parents"

I said, "But she doesn't speak with anyone dad, anyway I'll invite her"

My dad said, "Invite her for your birthday"

I said, "Hmm, that's a good idea dad" Turning towards my mom I said, "Mom, her hostel food is sick; please pack an extra box of lunch for her every day. At least she'll have one good meal a day"

She said, "Okay. Check what she likes, I'll include in the menu and prepare it frequently"

My parents were my friends and I used to discuss everything with them; there was nothing that I hid from them. My sister Adithi was also my best friend. She's studying in the 8th standard and I used to help her out in her studies, record works, sports, assignments etc.

As days passed on Nethra and I become friends and we used to have lunch together every day. I was the only person she would talk to among all the other students in the class. She never spoke anything else other than studies. Our 1st semester got over and a month's winter vacation was announced. Everybody had planned something or the other for the vacation.

Episode 6

I asked her, "Nethra when are you leaving to your native?"

She said, "I'm gonna stay in the hostel"

Perplexed I asked, "It is a month's vacation and you were feeling home sick you can spend some time with your parents"

Her face turned gloomy and said, "No, I'm not going" and she left the place.

I told my Mom about her vacation plans with utter displeasure. She was shocked but continued to say, "Maybe her parents are busy with their work or they must be abroad. Anyway your birthday falls during the vacation; invite her home"

I said, "Okay".

A week later I called her and said, "Tomorrow is my birthday and we have a small party at our home and I'm inviting you for that. Be ready by 4.00 pm, I'll come to pick you. Okay, take care, bye" and hung the phone even before she could refuse or accept.

The next day before I started I called her and informed that I started. She said, "I'm not coming don't waste your time"

I said, "I started, no excuse. Please be ready"

I reached her hostel and saw her waiting near the hostel gate in a pink dress and she looked like a fairy. I said, "You are looking like an angel in this dress"

she smiled and said, "Thanks"

We reached home around 5.15 pm and as soon as my mom saw her she hugged her and kissed her on her forehead and said, "Welcome Nethra" and took her inside the house. Adithi and My dad were sitting on the sofa watching TV. Nethra and my mom sat on the sofa as well and mom said, "I'm Arjun's mother and you are looking pretty" I introduced my sister Adithi and my dad. She said, "Hello" to everyone and somewhat perplexed she asked, "Arjun said there is a party but there is nobody else here" My mom said, "It is a small party for the five of us.

Looking at my dad, my mom said, "I'll prepare dinner by the time you keep playing carom with the kids. Adithi said, "Good idea mom we are four of us and looking at Nethra she said, "We'll be a team and dad & Arjun the other team" Saying this she ran to her room to get the carom board. We played around 3 to 4 sets and we (Dad & I) made them win most of the games. It was fun.

Episode 7

Nethra and Adithi become friends soon. Adithi took Nethra to her room to show her teddy bear collections. Her collection had teddies of all colors and sizes and she had arranged it neatly like a showroom display. She really gets excited when she has to show her collection to someone who comes home. Along with the teddies she had a play station, toys and an amazing collection of photos that would be interesting to watch.

As they left the place my dad said, "Arjun, I have some important business mails to respond and will be back in an hour" and left the hall. I went to my room and switched the system and as I was browsing, Adithi brought Nethra to my room and said this is Arjun's room. She looked all around and fixed her eyes on the table where I had placed her refused birthday gift.

She went near the table and looking at me she asked, "Can I take it?"

I said, "Yeah, it's for you, you need not ask me you can take it"

She took it and said, "I'm sorry I hurt you very badly that day"

I said, "I was hurt, but it's okay. Please open it and tell me if you like it"

She opened the wrapper and took out a Peach colored teddy bear; she became so tensed that she nervously dropped it on the floor while taking it out of the wrapper. As soon as the teddy hit the floor a recorded voice said, "Good day, keep smiling" After hearing that smiling she hugged the teddy and said "Thank you. It's lovely" I felt so happy and said, "You look beautiful when you smile"

Dinner was ready and my mom called us to the dining table. Before the dinner I cut the cake. Nethra said, "Happy birthday" and gave me a pen as birthday gift. After dinner Nethra and I started to her hostel. There is a beautiful park on the way to her hostel. I asked her, "What is the in-time deadline in your hostel?"

She said, "9.00 Pm"

I told, "its 8.00 and we still have an hour shall we sit in the park for some time?"

She said, "Okay"

We sat on a bench in the park and the scene there was beautiful. Children swinging, running, playing, making noise etc. As we were watching a child who was running fell on the ground and started crying. Nethra stood up to help the child and before her the child's mother reached the child and took him and hugged him and pacified him.

She said, "The boy is blessed. You're blessed with good parents too"

I said, "All are blessed with good parents"

She said, "No, there are parents who hate their children"

I asked, "Why would parents hate their children? It is strange and I can't believe it"

She said, "When the parents hate each other they hate all that came out of that relationship; it includes children too"

I asked, "Why would they hate each other?"

She said, "Lot of reasons like ego, money, material, extra marital affairs, misunderstandings, lack of love and affection, hatred etc"

I asked, "How do you know all these things?"

She said, "It was and is a part of my daily life"

I said, "I didn't get you"

She said, "My parents hated each other and kept on fighting all day long and due to misunderstanding they are living separately for the past 6 years; after they got estranged my mom is our guardian. My sister Mithra and I stay in the hostel. They just send us money for our needs that's it. They call us or visit us very rarely"

Her voice portrayed the pain and grief in her heart. She continued, "As people say daughters love their fathers and sons love their mothers, Mithra and I love our dad very much but my mom says dad is bad and we should not talk with him. We called him secretly many a times and begged him to come and visit us. He didn't turn up even once till I joined the college. We hated him for that but still deep down my heart longs and yearns to see him even now. He addresses me as "Neethu" and sometimes in my dream I hear him call me. When I wake up I find myself alone and cry sorely without a soul to console me"

She asked me, "Arjun, Do you know what the most shameful thing on earth is?"

Not Knowing what to reply I asked, "What?"

She said, "Meeting your dad in the bus stand, street corners, shopping malls, restaurants etc. People give us a weird look and it's so awkward for loved ones to meet like that"

I interrupted and as asked, "Why can't you meet him in the hostel?"

She said, "The hostel's visitor timings does not suit his work timing and so he asks us to come to a common place. You know what, my dad does not know my 10th scores too, it was 90% and everyone but my parents congratulated me.

She asked me, "Do you know why I behaved so badly on my birthday?"

I shook my heads and said, "No idea"

Hugging and caressing the teddy she said, "It's the dark day in my life. I regret being born on this earth. I haven't celebrated even a single birthday in my life. My parents are too busy quarrelling with each other that they forget our birthdays. This year on my birthday, I called my dad but he forgot it was my birthday and just enquired about my health and studies and disconnected the call.

I felt bad that's why I behaved badly with you. Later I regretted for my behavior but of no use. My parents are good people individually but when they are together no one can be as bad as them. (Her eyes dampened with tears but she pretended as if she was not crying and said)Arjun, after seeing your parents I long for such parents. You are truly blessed. I am not as fortunate as you are"

I felt very bad and said, "I'm sorry, don't feel bad. Shall I do what my dad does when I'm depressed?"

She just looked at me without a clue.

I wrapped my arms around her shoulder, pated her softly and said, "It's alright, everything's gonna be fine soon, cheer up" as soon as I told this she leant on my shoulders and started to weep. I continued, "I know it comforts and consoles. It's alright Nethra, everything's gonna be fine soon. It's time up. Let's move"

We started from the park; on the way she said, "I feel so relaxed & light since I emptied myself of this burden that had controlled me for so long. Thanks. But I think I spoiled your day with my stories"

I said, "You were always aloof and I knew there's something wrong with you. That's why when everyone in the class hesitated to talk to you, I kept on coming back even after you insulting me. I feel happy that you trusted me and let out your frustrations. Life will be good Nethra, don't worry. You can come home anytime you want. Just buzz me, I'll come and pick you"

We reached her hostel. She smiled and said, "Thanks a lot. Bye. Thanks again for this lovely gift, what shall we christen her?"
    I asked, "What name you like?"

She said, "Shall we call her Cuckoo?"

I said, "oh lovely name, good choice. Bye Nethra, bye cuckoo"

She patted cuckoo on her back and the recorded voice said, "Good day keep smiling" she smiled, waved her hands and cuckoo's hands together and said "bye Arjun" and left the place.

She walked lightly like a butterfly but I felt heavy like, like hmmm I really don't know what to compare to this burden to. My heart was so heavy and I realized the mystery behind her sadness is her separated parents. Poor little girl she has so much of pain.

Episode 8

On this birthday I learnt a few valuable lessons of life - the value of a family, the need for love and people to share it, the importance of understanding, love and affection of parents and most important lesson is not to tease people with abnormal nature and characteristics. Some people are abnormal due to some medical condition or psychological factors. I took an oath I'll never tease or mock my fellow beings but to treat them with respect and dignity.

As soon as I reached home I went and hugged my dad and told what happened. As usual my dad wrapped his arms around my shoulder and said, "It's alright dear. Everything will be fine with her soon" My mom was also there, listening to what I said and she said, "Poor girl, that's why she was sad. Till the vacation is over bring her home daily, she might feel bored in the hostel"

The next three weeks she came daily to my home and I could feel the change and happiness in her. Adithi, Nethra and I used to play video games, chess, carom, shuttle cork and watch movies. We had nice time together. One day we were watching a movie with my Mom after lunch and there was a rape scene in the movie and the sound effects made the screaming of the girl a terrible one to listen.

Nethra started to shiver and sweat a lot. Adithi screamed, "Mom, look at Nethra, she is shivering" My Mom switched off the TV immediately and made her relax and she asked her to take rest. Nethra stayed in Adithi's room and my Mom took care of her. My Mom did not allow her to go to the hostel; hence she stayed with us that day.

After this incident Nethra and my mom become very close. She came to my house without my help. One day there was a mangal sutra sentiment scene in a movie that we were watching. Nethra asked my Mom pointing her mangal sutra, "Aunty, what does this mean to you?"

My mom thought for a while and said, "I haven't thought about what it means to me at all. I can't say anything more than this. Okay, what does this mean to you?"

She said, "Precious metal, beads and stones beautifully made and neatly arranged in a thread or a metal"

My mom asked, "That's it"

She said, "Yes aunty, how can a metal bind two hearts? I wonder how people are clinging on to a relationship just by a thread. Is yours a love marriage or an arranged marriage?"

My Mom said, "Let me see if you'll say the same thing when you have one. Ours is an arranged marriage"

She said, "My parent's marriage is a love marriage. I really can't figure out how people with love marriages break and people in arranged marriages stay together. A stratagem cannot be defined as both the marriages work out and breaks out too. I'm not gonna get married at all. It doesn't make any sense to me. Moreover with these kinds of parents and family situation no one is there to think about it or put in efforts to organize one. Marriage is a mirage to me"

My Mom said, "I'll do it for you. I'll find a perfect groom for you. Don't worry okay, just concentrate on your studies alone leaving all these thoughts apart. You know we had misunderstandings and quarrels too. But after every misunderstanding we used to talk about it and took efforts to understand each other. The doctors and psychology counselors say that it takes a minimum of three years for a couple to understand each other. We need to be patient and have an open mind to accept others with their flaws and imperfection as we have our own flaws"

Episode 9

College reopened and we became close friends, I would miss her if she doesn't turn up to class even for a single day. We spent the weekends together studying, playing, watching movies etc. Though we're good friends she doesn't talk much and is always reserved.

Days went like this we progressed to the second year of the college. One evening I received a call from her mobile saying that she had fallen unconscious in the hostel room and is admitted in the hospital. I got the details and went to the hospital with my Mother. The hostel warden told me that her mobile had only my number in the contacts and that's why she called me and I was shocked to know that she had attempted suicide and her condition is critical.

About an hour later the doctor called us and said that, "She has swallowed a heavy dosage of pills. But she is being treated and is safe now. This might her affect her intestines; hence she needs to be under low fat and non-spicy diet for some time. Please come for review after two day" We went to her room she was awake and lying on the bed. As soon as she saw us tears flooded from her eyes and she turned her face from us.

My mom went near her and asked how she is feeling and if she wants something to drink or eat. She said, "No. Just leave me to starve and die" My mom said, "Calm down Nethra, calm down. Everything will be alright soon" I was very angry with her and hated her that moment as she didn't tell me what's troubling her.

I yelled at her asking "why you did this?" Sobbing and with anger she asked, "Why should I live, nobody wants me and for whom should I live?" Her response kindled my anger even more; I become wild and raised my hands to slap her but I was shaken by my mom's voice as she called out "Arjun" controlling myself, heartlessly I yelled, "For me you idiot, for me" Astonished, she and my mother looked at me.

Sternly I continued, "You have become a part of my life. I want you near me always. I don't think of myself or anything else but I think of you and you alone all the time. I don't know if I love you or not. If this is love then I love you. If I say its love you, I don't know if I'm seriously in love with you or not; but one thing for sure is I cannot live without you" Saying this I left the room unable to face both of them. Little later my mom came out and said, finish the discharge formalities let's take her home.

6 people like this.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Rajiv, very interesting. ;et me read other parts too.

3. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

very interesting to read Rajiv.

4. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Rajiv,

Enjoyed very much reading this story... will contd and give my comments.

Shanti

5. Rajiv

Rajiv Gold IL'ite

6. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

wow very beautiful story...great going!!!!:thumbsup

7. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Rajiv

Excellent narration of the story.

The concept of the story is really very good. Let me go to the next part.

8. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Rajiv...

Nice story and i liked the theme of the story and enjoyed it a lot...
    Will read the next episodes also.

9. Rajiv

Rajiv Gold IL'ite