1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A visit from the Other Side- Part 2 (Final)

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by raji2678, Jan 11, 2011.

1. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Ketan:"This has not happened before!"
    Nithya:"Should we change house?"
    Ketan:"Our ancestors were born and bred here. Where else can we go?"

Meanwhile the girl in white had come to the front door...

"Thong...Thong..." jarred the big brass knocker on the front door.

Ketan and Nithya stood still, not knowing what to do.

After what seemed like eternity, a creaking sound could be heard, and the front door opened.

"I have come...” said the girl and laughed a shrill, high pitched laugh.

Ketan and Nithya said to each other in unison:"Our days are numbered here"

Next day, in the river bank of the village, a group of young girls were laughing and chatting.

Shanta:"You know what, girls? Parvathi went to THAT house in THAT hamlet last night."
    Gayatri:"You mean near the cemetery across the highway?"
    Meena:"Yes, and fifty years ago plague struck that hamlet, and the entire hamlet was wiped out."
    Pushpa:"And Ketan was the village headman, and lived in the Big house with his wife Nithya. They tried their best to protect the village from the epidemic, but even they succumbed to the disease."
    Kamala:"Nobody goes near that area at night, as there have been rumors of strange noises."
    Shanta:"Ketan built that house with great efforts. He used to say that he wanted to die there itself. His wish came true.
    Meena:"But cannot believe it! I had bet Parvathi that she will be too scared to even go near that house."
    Saroja:"You have lost the bet. I was with her. Our driver was also there. We were returning from our collage play, and Parvathi was in her white costume. On seeing that place, she remembered your challenge. She asked us to stop the car. We pleaded with her not to go there, but she would not listen. She not only knocked the door, but also opened it one bit. Then she came back with us home."
    Meena:"But is she alive today? Hope she has not vomited blood and died!"

"Hi girls!"
    The owner of that voice was Parvathi.
    " I Won, Meena", she said triumphantly.

"But how did you do that?"
    "Were you not scared?"
    "Did you not face any problem?"
    "Didn't the ghost chase you?"
    "Are you alive or have you turned into a ghost yourself?"
    asked the other girls.

"What is there to be scared of?", said Paravthi.
    "I am very much alive. If you do not believe me, see my legs!

Remember, that ghosts were once people like us. I did not harm anyone, and have faith in God."

"I recite Kanda Sashti Kavacham daily. And I am always wearing that Venkatachalapathi locket in my chain. No ghost can come near me."

"Besides, that land in the hamlet belonged to our forefathers. We also have rights on it. Why should we, the living give up those rights for people who are long dead and gone, who do not belong to this world, whose rightful place is in some other world."

"The only problem I faced was in convincing Saroja and the driver to permit me to go to that house."

"Remember girls, fear is in our minds only. And the ghosts in that hamlet are in fact related to our ancestors. They will not harm us"

Word of Parvathi's feat spread far and wide in that sleepy village. Some looked at her in bewilderment, and some with awe.

Parvathi wisely encashed on her laurels. Always known as a daring girl, she had a little difficulty in convincing her parents of her future plans.
    Fortunately, her father was an influential person in that village.

Soon, learned pundits were called and yagnas performed in all houses in that hamlet. The land and houses were allotted to poor and needy farmers.

Ketan and Nithya sensed that it was time for them, along with the other ghosts to depart to their world.
    Ketan, Nithya and the erstwhile ghosts showered their blessings on all, especially Parvathi from their world.

And everyone was happy.

Note: Dear readers, this is my amateurish attempt at story writing. Kindly be generous with your critical feedback, so that I can improve.

2 people like this.

2. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

Raji,
    Nice twist and ending. You cud have reduced the number of friends at last inorder to avoid confusion JMO

3. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Good one Raji.

Nice twist too at the end...enjoyed reading the same.

4. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks nimmi. I will incorporate your feedback and reduce the confusion. My idea was to replicate the typical village scene wherein a river forms a meeting place for the ladies.

5. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

6. stappe

stappe Senior IL'ite

Nice story....with a good ending...keep writing more :thumbsup

7. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

A very good twist Raji :thumbsup :thumbsup. This would have made a great short story with the twist at the end. I agree with nimmi too. Keep coming with more stories :thumbsup

8. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Very nice twist . luved the story.

9. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks stappe

10. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks zingy.