1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

What is your daily routine for home cleaning? (No maid in india)

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by mehtaradhikam, Oct 14, 2015.

1. mehtaradhikam

mehtaradhikam Bronze IL'ite

Hi everyone! I manage my housework by myself. But sometimes I find it too much burdensome. When I wake up I start by taking bath and making breakfast and lunch.

After that I do dishes, clean kitchen platform. Then I take 30-40 minutes to read newspaper. After that sweeping, dusting and mopping. And then I go to take bath, by that time its noon. Then take lunch, watch some TV or going to market etc.

But still my house does not look as clean as people who have maids. People who have maids always look so fresh having peace of mind. And also women can get ready earlier in morning than me. I compare myself a lot, like I feel their hands and feet look so healthy as they don't have to come in contact with cleaners and water.

Here where I live maids are irregular. And also I have not manage a maid in my house before. I experimented with maid last year for four months, but it was very hard. She didn't come on time, took uninformed leaves, demanding of money, etc. And also just after a month she asked for a raise. She did only sweeping and mopping and dusting. I paid her 1500 for 2bhk home and no extra work.That made me very irritated. So after four months I told her to leave. I felt free. But here maids are hard to come by, so much demanding and also I don't like when talk about other people to me and vice versa.

How do you manage your home without maid? I am not working and no kids as of now. Do you have any fix routine? All inputs are appreciated.

Sweety82 likes this.

2. chandrakiran

chandrakiran Silver IL'ite

I have several neighbors who do not have maids. In fact their houses look much neat and clean than mine because maids usually do a bad job...they skip corners, do not dust, do not rearrange stuff. while we do the sweeping mopping, we do a thorough job. we ensure we dust before sweeping, we arrange all stuff in the room etc.

One particular neighbors house is so so neat and clean, i couldnt find a speck of dust, or any items not well arranged, and all of that work was over by 10am when i went there. All cooking cleaning and packing off members at home to school or work was over too. she also takes care to clean fans, windows, cobwebs all by herself, and i couldnt really find even one dirty spot in her house!!

I work and have two school going kids, so my house is a mess most of the time. I often feel taking a break from work and just manage my house well. Sigh!

So OP it has nothing to do with having maid or not having maid perhaps. Its all about what standards we follow with respect to maintaining a clean home..

3. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

1. keep home clutter free. If u r picking item A from that place , keep it at same place after using it.

2. See if there are more dust coming to ur house. if so , Try to keep curtains on window during Day time . so there will be less dust.

3. Pick one particular area daily , and give it thorough Cleaning. Say Monday for Bathroom , tuesday for Window , one day for fan .. Just decide as per ur convenience ,,

4. keep door mat in every room ..

Hope it helps with ur cleaning..

coffeecups and coolgal123 like this.
  4. succhi

succhi Silver IL'ite

dear op
    its nice that you are cleaning your own house.because once you get used to maids,you cant even think of cleaning by yourself.since cleaning gives you a good exercise,you will be more fit than the ladies whom you think have nice feet and hand.....think it the other way round.....
    about cleaning,i will tell you how i manage my cleaning routine...
    i keep everything for the breakfast ready the previous day only....say if its chapathi, i make the dough and keep ready the previous night only.and cook the gravy the previous night only.i cook it so much that it would be enough for two days.next morning as the gravy will be cooled off,i store half of it in the fridge.
    because too much boiling of the curry will lose it s taste.then boil the remaining curry for the days breakfast.i will be left with only rolling chapathis and frying them.

then have the breakfast together with the family at the same time.because you need not wait to cook for each person,just fry all the chapathis put them in the hot box.it remain hot for a long time.and also you can clean all the utensils together at once,which is easier than washing the utensils one by one

u can stuff the washing machine with the previous days clothes at night only.so that if switch on the washing machine as soon a you wake up,your clothes will be ready to be hung dry by the time you are done with the cooking.

chop the veggies for the lunch,cook the lunch.its better you do the chopping stuffs the previous day and store in the fridge...once you get use to this routine it will easy for you..

i dust and sweep on alternate days....mop on alternate days .....clean the bathrooms one day,,,toilets the other.....and clean the sinks one day....so it wont be a burden for me......
    do the things you do neatly,because you need not do it again and again.....

keep the things in its respective places after using so that it will look neat.and you will find it in the same place whenever u need it in a hurry.

so by noon i will be ready with lunch also..have a shower and have lunch...then i will be free till evening...thats 'me time'
    i can go shopping,pamper myself,have a facial at home,pedicure at home only etc.

dear managing household chores is just a trial and error...you just have to find out easier and convenient ways to effectively do the work...and enjoy it

not having a maid keeps us fit and we save lot of energy and money as well as time...we can do things as we feel is right and clean.....so all the very best

shifas, vani098, minn1 and 6 others like this.
  5. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

We get these cleaning gloves in the supermarkets. May be using them will help the hands feel softer and better. And for the feet, slippers should make the difference. This way the skin is safeguarded from cleaning chemicals.

shifas, minn1, coolgal123 and 2 others like this.
  6. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

Our house will be neat with out maid only.
    Just enjoy the work n do

7. radhu

radhu Gold IL'ite

Without depending on maid we can definitely keep our house clean and can avoid mental tension of the maid taking leave on important festivals and other occasions as we normally see. with little schedule and time management we can do wonders .waiting for the maids doorbell and constant reminders to her about the work will give only tensions. with little planning we can do better than the maid. so better do it ourselves and create clean home place.

radhu

1 person likes this.
  8. sophiedjenko

sophiedjenko Senior IL'ite

Hello everybody! While having a maid in India is certainly very convenient, there are ways to survive without one. It is important to have solutions to help make the back breaking task of cleaning that little bit easier. I am sure that just like anyone else with a busy work schedule it becomes difficult to balance household chores along with other commitments. I have always believed in quick and efficient cleaning in all areas of the house including the kitchen. I use only Roff Cera Clean for this. It can remove white/yellow spots and layers rapidly, as well as water stains over tiles, cement stains, grime, oil, paint stains, grease, moss and wax from concrete, asbestos, terrazzo and ceramics. It is ideal for cleaning the surface of floors in kitchens, bathrooms and garages where efficient cleaning is necessary.

9. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

It is Great that you are living without a maid. many useful suggestions are here.
    here are my 2 bits

Why do you bath twice? Bath after you finish cleaning.

I use Standing brooms instead of Jharoo as I cant bend. Similarly good mops are available. Brooming and mopping is fine on alternate days in a home without kids.

There are some tasks you do not need to do everyday, so fix days to do them.
    Like Vacuuming behind furniture, cleaning mirrors and windows, Thorough cleaning of bathrooms, sorting drawers need be done once a week only and will stay clean for a while.

Try to do things a day before like Succhi suggests. Filling the washing machine even with soap, cutting vegetables making flour can all be done a day before. I actually cut vegetables in front of TV.

Use your freezer to the full by keeping in it raw, half and fully cooked items. You can always cut, wash and keep vegetables in the freezer. Many stay well, specially leafy ones and peas. Boiled Chana and rajma stays well too.

If you can, invest in a dishwasher.

Use the best cleaners which clean at one swipe and are gentle on hands. If you do not like rubber gloves ( I dont) keep a bottle of Vaseline or other moisturizer to use after each wash.

Best of all, do your best and enjoy working as well as your free time. Be happy with yourself. do not compare yourself or your home with others. Little dirt has never hurt anyone, but a negative thought has always done so.

You are doing a good job. Enjoy !

sarithariju, minn1 and coffeecups like this.
  10. sophiedjenko

sophiedjenko Senior IL'ite

More often than not, my daily cleaning routine is dominated by cleaning the tiles of my kitchen. Thanks to my love for all things food related, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Which coupled with my clumsy nature invariable leads to my tiles having all the possible colours known to man apart from their natural white colours. What did I do? Well for many years I continued struggling but to no avail. Then a friend of mine told me to try Roff Cera Clean. I told him that I didn’t have time to waste with yet another commercial detergent. For the longest time I refused but he kept persisting so I finally gave in and tried it out. Surprisingly it was able to remove the spots and layers with the utmost ease. It even was useful for degreasing tiles. Maybe I shouldn’t have been so stubborn all along? Either way, I’m glad that I am now using an efficient and effective cleaner like cera clean.

blessings1010 likes this.