1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Induction cooking

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Aadhusmom, May 27, 2008.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I just received an induction cooktop as a gift (a small one, portable kind). I have never used this kind of cooktop before and I dont know anyone else who has even though I've seen it on sale in some of the big supermarkets. The manual which came with it is not very informative either. And so I thought I'll ask you ladies here if any of you use it and whether its any good for Indian food? I would really appreciate some help on this.

Vanathi.

2. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi aadhus mom,
    well induction cookers are becoming a big time hit in chennai especially when you run out of gas or in need of an extra stove for special functions etc!!!!
    one of my cousin's uses it in b'lore and uses it for making sambar, rasam etc so i guess it is suitable for indian cooking!!!
    i have seen a few in exhibition and trade centres but have never tried one!!!!
    regards
    pavi

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks Pavi. I have yet to do any serious cooking on it - I'll try it out and see.

vanathi.

4. maddie

maddie Silver IL'ite

hi vanitha
    I have been using induction cooker for boiling water, making rasam, soups, coffee and chai. You just have to set the temperature and also use only stainless steel vessels. Rest the same as we use in electric stove.

Cheers
    maddie

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks Maddie. I have tried out lots of things on it now and it works pretty well.

Vanathi.

6. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey V and all

What induction stove do you have? I am planning to buy one and want to know which is a good brand/model. Also, does it need special vessels?

TIA

7. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

Think of it this way. In a transformer you have a primary and a secondary coil. The secondary coil is designed to give the required output.

An induction stove or hob is the same. There is a primary coil under the glass plate on which you keep the vessel. The base of the vessel must be suitable for induction. This base acts like the secondary of the transformer. Only thing is it is in effect a short circuited secondary. there is no output. The eddy currents heat up this base which in turn heats whatever is inside.

Induction stoves are very efficient-almost 95%. In addition, the amount of power gets automatically regulated by the size of the base a smaller base will consume less power. However, it will also take longer to heat. For a given vessel most of the hobs have a provision for setting the maximum power.

On the other hand an electric stove will consume the same power whether there is any thing on it or not.

It is just an efficient heat source. Period. What you cook is up to the cook (and the m-i-l looking over the shoulder and down the nose with an occasional sniff)

The only requirement is that the vessel must be induction friendly.

All current models of standard cookware (Prestige, Hawkins and other brands) make all their premium cookware induction frindly irrespective of whether the vessel is SS or Aluminum.

Arunadhri

1 person likes this.
  8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Just went and had a look at mine - it says E-cook (and it was a gift so no idea about brand or where it was bought). Its my understanding that all induction stoves need special cookware ie. flat bottomed (our usual kadai wont work) and iron containing (or aluminium or enamel ). No copper-bottomed stuff. I read on some website that if you carry along a usual fridge magnet when you shop and if you feel a magentic tug when you take it near the vessel then that vessel is suitable (ie. has enough iron). Also there is a minimum diameter of the vessel bottom which you can use (or you need to put the smaller vessel inside a bigger one). Most of my usual SS vessels did not satisfy all these requirements so I bought a small set of induction-friendly cookware - just the basic stuff. A lot of ads I've seen recently talk about free cookware if you buy an Induction stove so that might not be a problem for you. I only use it in emergencies or when we are travelling so I dont have all that much experience with it.

V.

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

THanks Arunadhri and V .... I went to see some induction stovs y'day. Liked prestige and preethi. Will decide which one ... cost is around 3-3.5K. There are a lot of imported brands like Evolve ....so thinking on which one I should go in for.

10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

V,

as you know here our cooking ranges are electric only... gas systems are rare. i use pressure cooker too on induction. however normal vessels that we use on gas cannot be used on induction. they'll not stand still:) i recently bought induction kadai from prestige. you can only use such utensils. otherwise you'll get used to the way it works gradually. unlike gas when you reduce heat it'll take a little while for the heat to actually come down. and even after switching off, the heat will still be released. so i utilise that as well.

Latha

1 person likes this.