1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

What type of pan you use for dosa and chapati?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by mriduna, May 7, 2015.

1. mriduna

mriduna Silver IL'ite

I am trying to replace my old hard anodized pans and reading through what is safe vs. not safe in cookware is really making my head spin. Please pour in your thoughts on the type of skillet you use to make dosa and chapathi and rate it for
    1. Ease to use (heavy/light)
    2. Ease to clean (food sticks or not)
    3. Type of spatula used (do you use the traditional dosa flipper or the wooden one)
    4. Dishwasher safe

Thank you for your help

1 person likes this.

2. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

3. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Nice topic... expecially since i just replaced my dosa and chapathi pans very recently.

For Chapathi, I recently found a fantastic non stick in IKEA. Very good, and easy to clean too. The teflon coating is much better than the ones you would find in other stores. IKEA also sells the food safe plastic spatulas. I use that for this if making chapathi with oil, but no need for anything if making phulkas.

For DOSA - I used a "Lodge" Brand cast iron pan for the past 12 years, and recently replaced it with another one of the same brand. It is heavy, and since it is cast iron, it heats up evenly and the dosas come out wonderfully. It is heavy, and cannot be used in a dishwasher (though I have once out of sheer laziness). Since it is cast iron, after washing, dry it immediately and use a drop of oil and wipe the plate (this is so that it does not rust).

1 person likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have a Prestige non-stick pan my mom brought from India. She makes dosas on this when she visits, and they come out well. I'm usually too lazy to make them on my own.
    For rotis I have a enameled cast-iron griddle.
    I hand-wash both of these.

5. mriduna

mriduna Silver IL'ite

@DKI @GoneGirl @MalStrom
    Thank you for the input. I bought the Lodge pan for dosa, so far it seems to be good. Hope it will last long.

6. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

7. curtainsdown

curtainsdown Silver IL'ite

I use cast iron for dosa - the olden days one that you can find in authentic small stores especially in small towns.

And I use the hard anodized one for roti. I never make dosa in this. If I have to make parathas or chapati with oil, I use the dosa tava.

8. mimmyme

mimmyme Gold IL'ite

I use dosa pan for both chapati and dosa but separate.
    Once my dosa pan is old, i shift it for chapati

Dosa pan is always kept only for dosa..i use futura dosa pan

9. mriduna

mriduna Silver IL'ite

So I went with the Lodge cast iron pan and have been doing good with it for regular dosa (though the first couple are a disaster). But Rava dosa seems to be a big battle and requires a lot of oil to get it out of the pan. Any tips on getting the dosa out of the pan with less oil.

10. Roshni

Roshni Local Champion Staff Member Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I use this Calphalon Non-stick square griddle for roti / parathas.
    Calphalon Kitchen Essentials Nonstick Square Gri... : Target

I use this iron cast round griddle for Dosa.
    https://www.heb.com/product-detail/quality-medium-round-comal-cast-iron/1719056

This turns out thin and crispy dosas. But the disadvantage I see with this iron griddle are:
    1. When it gets really heated up after making 4 to 5 dosas, it kind of quickly browns the dosa though I see in some portions of the dosa the batter is yet to cook.
    2. The handle gets really hot so we need mittens to hold it all the time.

@DKI you mentioned about your Lodge cast iron pan heating up evenly, do you see the above issue of dosa browning in one portion while yet to cook in another portion? Is it probably the issue of the kind of stove used? I have gas stove, not electric stove.

One more question I have...how often do you ladies wash your non-stick pans used for rotis/parathas? I use it only for rotis/parathas, with and without oil, but don't use it for dosa. Wash it like using after a 2-3 times, but I still see black crust on the corners of the pan due to oil usage.

TIA for your tips.
    Roshni