1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

managing maid

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by curtainsdown, May 7, 2015.

1. curtainsdown

curtainsdown Silver IL'ite

Hello there,
    I had a maid for sweeping/ swabbing/ bath room cleaning and to dry out washing machine clothes and to hang them out to dry. I was paying her 1300. She finishes all this work in 30 mins mostly.

She was taking too many offs and that too without informing. But the quality of her work for okay - not great but something I can live with. After one such missed day of work, I was quite angry (office tensions due to extra home work etc) I told her that i would cut 100 rs next time she took an UNINFORMED LEAVE. And in the words exchanged that followed I had to fire her. And now i repent. What should I do?
    Should I call her back????

This happened a week back and I am managing all the work myself. So hard to find another HONEST maid.
    Please advise.

2. surekhasarathy

surekhasarathy New IL'ite

dear friend
    managing home without a maid is difficult especially for working woman. do try to cajole her and get her back because you say that shes honest. lure her by telling her to take leave on your holidays. thats what i do . i compromise by asking my maid to take half a day leave on saturdays or sundays.over here 4 holidays in a month are a must. that gets decided at the time of their joining.also 1-2 days un official is always there.
    another option is to try for another maid. but no one will garantee you that they would not take any off with or without informing
    surekha

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

No don't call her back . Try for some other maid .

Calling her back will make her think you are desperate . If she comes back and asks that is a different issue . Talk To the maid who works next door and have them come if possible when you are there .

4. curtainsdown

Thanks both of you.
    Yes I too thought if I call her back she will think I am desperate. but in reality I AM :) but i think I am too egoistic to call. Also the maid from next door etc do not have suitable timings - before I leave for work in the mornings.. - And the ones that want to come have no referrals and I am hesitant to employ them. My house is a MESS now :( I am able to do only sweeping. no mopping and clothes are piling. My utensils maid after a lot of cajoling dried out the clothes today. I have loads to fold today.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS A REASONABLE EXPECTATION FROM A GOOD MAID??
    When someone puts uninformed leave it spoils my day :( Am I being unreasonable??
    I am ok for them to take 4 days of informed leaves in a month. Any more I am peeved but I can adjust if they are informed. Otherwise I atleast travel 2-5 days out of town in a month and they get the offs anyways.

5. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

I would say try talking to security guards of the complex ,hopefully you are staying in a flat :).These security guards know a lot of information on maids like who is working,where ,who got fired,reasons etc.If staying independently then try talking to older ladies staying around,esply housewifes,they willl be able to spread the word.I pay my maid 1700 for sweeping swabbing,utensils and doing dusting (once a week).She is allowed 4 days leave per month,as per her wish.Either she takes it on sundays or whenever she requires it with prior notice.
    Keep them happy however within reasonable limits ,they should know that they can be replaced easily if they take too many leaves.Tell and decide on all this before you hire the maid.

6. curtainsdown

Yes, I do stay in a flat. The security guys send me folks with no prior work history within the complex and I am VERY HESITANT to employ them.

And the ones that I know work around here have no suitable timings free :(

I was paying 1300 for sweep+swob+dry/fold clothes+ONE EXTRA WORK PER DAY(bath, window, dusting, kitchen etc)

And I pay 1200 for vessels and kitchen counter top cleaning. She has been asking for a raise.. This lady is very clean in her work and takes ONLY informed leaves so I am ok to pay her. But lately she has been keeping ill health and may quit any moment.

Please tell me if I am being unreasonable.

7. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Paying 1200 for cleaning vessels and the kitchen top is pretty high as per me.I guess you can pay your maid around 2000 in total for all of these,max to max 2500.

8. curtainsdown

@jaden - Where do you live?
    I live in Blore. Anyone else who can share their maid expenses along with their work?

9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I guess you are reasonable with 4 days if informed leaves . If they happen to take unannounced leave in an emergency or sickness it is ok but just like that bunking should not be tolerated . I never did this but heard the more effective is to tell Them
    That you will cut some amount every time they take leave . It works .

if you call her back she may take you granted and may continue the behavior . Once they know you are too dependent thy will use it to thier advantage . This is human nature nothin wrong .

why can't you other maid take extra responsibility . Tell her that you will pay her for the work . Look alternatives for sometime have someone come in the evening if possible .

There are also maid agencies who can get you a maid at shirt notice . Try to see if you have in your area. Try an work wih the existing maid as long as possible and be in active search . Tell your neighbors .

10. previ

previ Senior IL'ite

My maid has a cell that I can call and check. But she hasn't taken any uninformed leaves. She does inform in advance. Yes security and neighbours are your best bet to get a new maid.