1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Is a stone grinder a must for an indian kitchen? If yes, which is the best one to get

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by daffodil123, Apr 19, 2015.

1. daffodil123

daffodil123 New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I love cooking Indian food at home. Especially south indian food (Idlis, dosas, vadas etc.). I have a Preeti wet grinder mixie and have been using this for making my dosa, idli batter. So far, things are OK.
    But I notice the stone grinder (Ultra, Elgi, Premier etc.) available online in the USA and in stores in India. How does the stone grinder compare to a Preeti mixie? Is there a big difference in the batter? Should I get one or avoid?
    We love eating dosas and idli's at home.

If I should invest in one, I would like the smallest appliance possible as we are a family of 3 and rarely get a big crowd. Which appliance would you recommend? the Premier or Ultra? What size?
    Where do you recommend we get one? In the USA? If yes, where? In India? If yes, where? We are from Hyderabad in AP/Telangana

I look forward to hearing your advice.

Sincerely,

Daffodil123.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Re: Is a stone grinder a must for an indian kitchen? If yes, which is the best one to

It is not essential, but is nice to have. My parents brought one from India long ago. However there are many models available on Amazon now.

3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Re: Is a stone grinder a must for an indian kitchen? If yes, which is the best one to

If you like idli/dosai, a grinder would be far better.i used a preeti mixer too earlier but the grinder is so much less hassle. And quality of idli is much better.

Premier and ultra are great. Premier takes up less space and the tilting feature really helps when an active child is around imo