1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Help required !!! To convince DH reg fridge !!!

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by hrastro, Mar 19, 2015.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator 160 liters that DH and I bought together immediately after our marriage 12 years back!

12 years over, 7y warranty over, but no repairs till now! Many frosting/cleaning episodes, many many power outages later (it doesnt run on our invertor), I started browsing about newer bigger models, but till now never thought of replacing it.

I have managed to use the limited 160 liters to fill it with freezer foods, make ahead meals, cookie doughs, home-made mixes and powders, cakes and breads, chapati doughs, I have used it for my marathon batter grinding (4 types of batters for 2-3 weeks of daily breakfasts) and marathon vegetable cutting too... I have used it for paneer tikkas and methi thepla batters, make my own pizza/pasta/basil sauces and tomato pastes... It also stores my home grown aloe vera plant extracts and face packs too!

Somehow, I have managed :) because I'm the only one who opens it, I stack a lot and use lots of space saving organization :)

Now what has changed.... Well, the glass on top of the vegetable tray broke last week! And now the veggies dont have a protective glass ! So I have one shelf less! and also the vegetables are getting exposed to more cold as they dont have a cover! That was the last straw on the camel's back :)

So now I have the following reasons to buy a new fridge -
    1) So many power cuts at my place - if I get a fridge that works with inverter (in built or connect to my home inverter), the foods wont get spoiled.

2) Space constraints - If there's more capacity - I can make more interesting foods. With a DS10 whose appetite is growing and with DH needing special foods for his acidity and sinusitis, and with DS loving alllllll kinds and varieties of foods and DH wanting only traditional foods - I can cater better if I have better capacity!

3) Some batters and some vegetables do get a bit spoiled if kept for longer as my current fridge is NOT frost free

4) I suffer from sciatica - so there are some bad days when I have to cook/clean/do all work without bending EVEN ONCE!!!
    So, should I look at bottom freezer models ?? Arent they more expensive!

5) If I get more students for my summer camps/tuitions, I would like to get more organized regarding cooking so that I can have time for the kids - more make-ahead meals - more capacity

6) I would like to store some of the powders - I use a lot of ragi, jowar, bajra, thana and other cereals and dals - and sometimes when kept outside they tend to get worm infestations - so I would like to keep them in the fridge

7) I would like to include more greens in the diet and introduce natural stuff like tulsi, aloe vera, basil, palak, methi (all growing in my home garden) - so I need more space

7) Protective glass on vegetable tray broke - so vegetables getting spoiled faster due to frosting!

Now I want help regarding

1) Can I find replacement for the vegetable tray glass top ?
    2) Should I buy a bottom freezer refrigerator? Does it help with bending/back problems?
    3) Which model is good otherwise?
    4) My DH usually looks at the star rating - he would go for 5 star only !

5) Most important - Today morning I told DH - a new refrigerator could cost anywhere between 35k-65k (I was looking at bottom freezer models)

And he said rule out any purchases - adjust with the one that is still working!!! More than 20k for a fridge doesnt make sense to him!!!
    So how do I convince him :)

Please suggest any good models and reviews !

Help please !!!

1 person likes this.

2. JanSri

JanSri Silver IL'ite

And he said rule out any purchases - adjust with the one that is still working!!! More than 20k for a fridge doesnt make sense to him!!!
    So how do I convince him [​IMG]

Show the first half of your post. Can't control my laughter. Could you maybe get an extra one in his budget?!?!

J

2 people like this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx a ton @RahulJain !!
    Can you tell me what it costs ? How is their service network?

Has anyone heard/used Haier refrigerators?

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I had a Samsung double door in India. I have a Samsung bottom freezer one here. I love both. I liked the double door one better (side by side)because I felt it was more spacious.

The one I have currently has a bottom freezer, a middle draw and then the top refrigerator portion. I have the water filter and the soda machine. I'm yet to replenish the soda can so don't even bother with that if you don't use it.
    Look at it before you buy. It does have shelves and fancy foldable/push back/pull out stuff but I think the side by side had more space. I also feel the bottom freezer is too darn big. I don't think we freeze all that much in India. The bottom freezer has a second pull out draw inside which looks very flimsy and the installation person told me it breaks easily. It is going to be very easy on your back though. The refrigerator section is completely accessible without bending even a bit.

Btw, I do use two huge refrigerators. One side by side sits in the garage. I fill both up, well the garage one is completely full and the one in the kitchen is probably about 1/3rd of its capacity. Even in India I used two. I don't remember the last time I used only one fridge. How on earth did you manage with a small fridge all these days? I need to learn from you.

Regarding your hubby, email him your points above. Back injury vs 65k must make it a very easy choice.

I looked at Haier too before buying the Samsung side by side. The freezer section was too compact. I really like Samsung. Oh big fridge = big elec bill. Be prepared for that!

1 person likes this.
  5. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

sub 200L available with 5* for at sub 20k levels in all brands.

1 person likes this.
  6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Ha ha ... yeah !! For our anniversary this year, he asked me to buy a dress but I wanted a pressure cooker - he refused - you have so many pressure cookers, I refused the dress - I have so many clothes!!! Finally we didnt buy either, but had to get my prescription glasses changed - so he called my spectacles as his anniversary gift !!!

He just doesnt get how much I would have used the cooker - definitely much more frequently and much longer than the dress :)

He says buy clothes or jewellery - why waste 65k for something that can be bought for 20k and adjust !!

2 people like this.
  7. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Thanx RahulJain
    24k shouldnt be a problem !! I'll check out the models - but service would be a major factor - I think we dont have a good service network, and Panasonic imports the whole refrigerator while Samsung/LG etc just get the parts and assemble ??

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Men! :bonk
    With your cooking skills and organizing abilities, I would build a shrine to you and get you whatever you wanted. Time for a kitchen strike ;-) !
    Have you tried taking him to a showroom? Maybe once he sees what is available and what the prices are he will change his mind. The bottom freezer sounds like a good option for back pain.

1 person likes this.
  9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Wow Laks09 ! Two huge refrigerators !! Wow !! How many things could go in!!! I am in dreamland !

The only reason I successfully used 160 L all these years was because I have tons and tons of stackable containers and I'm the only person who ever opens or closes it :) DH and DS rarely open it and when they do, I ensure I'm nearby shouting out step by step instructions :)

Your description of side by side made me rush to google again - Aaah 65k - 120k !!

I'll check them out too!! Thanx!!

Yes, 65k vs backpain - he'll definitely get it :)
    For the last 4-5 years since the pain got worse, I have looked longingly at many many bottom freezer refrigerators, but didnt want to dispose a working fridge - now with the glasstop broken, I finally feel it is time !!

We hardly ever keep water/ice in fridge - so water/soda dispenser would be too much for us !!!

How was Samsung support/service ?? I have had good experience with Samsung Washing machine (>10 years old, serviced max once or twice)

1 person likes this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@hrastro - in the 4 yrs I used the fridge, no issues ever to call support. My tenant has been using it for the past year. No issues so far. No ideas about support!

two fridges - I'm ashamed myself. But my ego won't permit me to go tell DH that we simply don't need the fancy everything including soda maker fridge isn't really necessary for us!

1 person likes this.