1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Iron griddle

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by coolsandy, Dec 13, 2014.

1. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

We prepare dosas, pesarattu regularly at home and use an iron tava for the same. They come out perfectly crisp. I tend to sprinkle some water before preparing each dosa, mainly, to bring down the temp. So, it becomes easy to spread.

But, the problem lies that sprinkling water gives rise to lot of buzzing steam and a little smoke too. My mom is worried that the roof of that kitchen area would be smoky after sometime.

Any tips on how to bring down the temp of the tava w/o emitting such smoke? Is is possible at all?

P.S: Will not be using non-stick tavas for obvious reasons.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sandy, once the tava heats, you can continue with a smaller flame and medium heat. unless you are trying crisp dosas, i find the heat enough for the spongy ones. and have an exhaust or chimney..my kitchen is a modular, did not have any issues with sprinkling just a few drops of water at any time..yes if you keep it high and then start sprinkling water it is going to be a bigger steam, and a cleaner tava will not emit too much steam..hope there is no grease on the rims.. cooking on iron tava requires a little more time and patience, that is why many take the non-stick route.

you can check out ceramic ones or the hard anodised ones.

I have hard anodised, non-stick ones too. the tips i can think of with non-stick is investing in good quality ones, and never let the temps go too high, maintaining it well. i have tavas that are more than a year old yet look almost new.

i am looking at the new prestige ceramic one when i stop with the non-stick. i change my non-stick in once a year or 15 months, even if they don't get spoiled, because of the exhaustive use i put it through..