1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Burnt/sticky - Not Going

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by msm, Nov 11, 2014.

1. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Friends - I burnt my suji kheer and its burnt so much that meven after soaking the vessel for 2 full days, am not able to scrap the burnt pieces from the inside bottom of the vessel. I tried with metal scrapper/even with knife only the sides are getting scrapped, but the middle/thicker burnt areas are not coming out at all.

Could you please suggest me any quick tricks/tips to clean this mess? the vessel is a very good/useful one, my husband tells me to throw it off, but I dont want to loose it. Help me please

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  3. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Have you tried baking soda? Fill burnt pot with water, heat it to boiling point. Take it off from gas, add baking soda, cover it. Keep it for few hours and then try to clean it. It may help.

4. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Thanks Tashi, will give a try.

5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

My DH is an expert at burning vessels -so I don't buy nonstick ;-)

usually I boil water in the vessel with some washing powder - run or surf etc and leave it for a day
    Then scrub scrubland with a spoon !!!
    Then repeat with hot water + vinegar + baking soda

Takes 3-4 repeats :)

6. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Another I tried for my griddle is mix equal amount of salt and wheat flour and make a paste with vinegar. Apply it in burnt area and leave it for 10-15 minutes. It worked for me.

1 person likes this.
  7. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

hrastro - boiling with washing powder is a a good idea that I can try immediately, will try it out. Thanks.

8. LiveYourLife

LiveYourLife New IL'ite

you can always buy replicable foils which are very cheap . Instead of wasting the core out these as cover

1 person likes this.
  9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

What kind of vessel is it -- non stick or stainless steel? If it is steel then try this powder 'Bar Keepers friend
    Adrienne's Corner: Bar Keepers Friend...

Make sure to get the powder not the gel. It is simply ex.cell.ent. I highly highly recommend, actually I use it everyday! It is my miracle powder. I really like that I dont have to scrub a lot or v hard or with force the powder does all the work. I just scrub with normal pressure and my pan is sparkling clean. A little bit goes a long way. If the pan is badly burnt though, you may have to scrub, rinse repeat a few times. Only for steel vessels okay, the powder will scratch the coating if it is non stick.

Available sometimes in grocery stores, target, or Walmart and for sure always in Bed Bath and beyond.

1 person likes this.
  10. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

wow - thanks guys you are so amazing at the cleaning options.

Sandhya - its a stainless steel saucepan, I use it mainly to boil milk/water.

On this fateful Saturday kept milk+sooji+sugar and went for bath, telling my husband+daughter to switch it off after it starts boiling none bothered abt it till I came back after 30 mins. My mistake:bonk, to save some time, am now spending double/triple the time & efforts in cleaning.

Good lesson learnt...

With all your options, am regaining my spirits back :)

Thanks a lot