1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen cleaning at night- Wanna know whos right!!!

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by memeera1234, Aug 27, 2014.

1. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

I am in a bit of confusion. My mother has always taught me to keep my kitchen clean before going to bed at night. She has been doing also and also insists we do it the same way at our house. As she has taught me, I wash all the used utensils at the night itself. I swipe the kitchen floor and gas tops and then only go to bed. As per her, then only there will be Laxmi vaasam at our house. I have been following this ever since I got married. But my MIL does reverse. She will keep the used vessels as it is until next day morning. She will not swipe the floor or do any cleaning. When I told her the practice I and my mother follow, she told me what we are doing is wrong. In kitchens where it is kept spotless clean at night, Goddess Laxmi never eneters such house.

I agree its all a matter of belief but still if you can tell me what has been the practice at your place...

Meera

2. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meera,

As you said its a matter of belief and convenience. I haven't heard of this belief before. In my parents' house my mother does not clean the vessels at night because they have dinner quite late and she will be tired to clean after that. In my house, I clean at night itself most of the days. Only if guests are there and lot of dishes to be cleaned, I leave it for morning. I feel cleaning at night makes my mornings easier and is also hygienic in terms of shooing away cockroaches and other living beings that may be interested in our left overs.

2 people like this.
  3. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

I think Goddess Laxmi cares more about the heart to be clean and pure rather than the kitchen.

Some MIls in olden ages who wanted their DILs not to leave the work until next day must have made such a tale in the past just as how ur MIL is conveniently saying the reverse of it is actually true .Its a myth cooked up by people to get other people to do what they want them to do in the name of God.So don't fear coming in the bad books of Goddess Laxmi, do what u feel like. And consider urself lucky as most MILs would want DILs to finish all the chores before going to bed however tired they are urs is actually not strict about it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If it is just about Laxmi...Then I don't think it matters.My mom did it your mom'sway.I wait for the maid to come and do it in the morning.

Laxmiji has been more generous to be than my mom.Do what is convenient.

4 people like this.
  5. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

People related every necessary thing to God so that we dont miss doing it. Cleanliness is important but it totally depends on your convinience. As Shina said God is more about your heart...

2 people like this.
  6. chillbreeze

I think Shina is right. When I entered into my ils' house after wedding, she used to clean the vessels at night. I thought that is what she follows and offered to do it as I wasn't cooking then. But then I noticed whenever DH and I go out for dinner or I return from my parents' place, the dinner vessels will still be in sink. If I am not there mil wouldn't clean them at night itself. She will do it the next day as per her convenience. Now that I cook most of the times, I still clean everything as soon as I finish cooking.

2 people like this.
  7. purpledream

purpledream Silver IL'ite

i just doesnt knw anything about laxmi vaasam.
    i do clean my kitchen at night and sleep,its on my own wish.
    i dont feel good leaving the vessels uncleaned my reason is i want to wake up and startup directly
    with cooking.i dont want to spend my time in cleaning in the morning rush.also a another reason in my mind which always doubts on cockroaches:hide:.

8. chillbreeze

:exactly:.........

9. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

I even heard of - "If you blind-paint(not painting the whole nail properly) the nail polish to others, you get blind kids"....

1 person likes this.
  10. padmaja909

padmaja909 Platinum IL'ite

:iagree and i feel cleaning kitchen should be accordind to one's convenience as long as hygiene is not compromised. If you are not too tired and sleepy you can clean it at night itself, which will reduce your work in the morning. If you dont feel like doing it at night or are too tired, you can just clean superficially and postpone the rest to next day.

2 people like this.