1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Over crowded Kitchen counter tops

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by ILoveTulips, Mar 7, 2014.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ladies,

I seem to be very lame in maintaining my kitchen. I know there are abundant information in this forum and super tips to maintain an organised home, hope someone will provide me some tips in helping me to have the counter tops less crowded.

We have a reasonable size kitchen, and that's the first room we see when we enter the home. I have 3 sets of table tops, and below listed the items that are always found there.

1st: Includes Stove. So the essential items like Ladles [in a container], salt, oil can are present there.
    2nd: Also like a breakfast table. This one has,
    - A wide wicker basket with onions, potatoes, garlic
    - A silver stand for fruits
    3rd: Longer one.
    - Rice tin
    - Microwave
    - Mixer
    - Toaster
    - Kitchen towel
    - Big box that holds all cooking oils, coffee/tea/sugar containers,
    - Small jars of spices.
    - Dish drainer

Now my problem is, we cook regularly, we use 2 pressure pans every time we cook. So it occupies most of the table top. I dont have dishwasher, so one part of the 3rd top is fully occupied by the washed vessel. Apart from these, we all have a habit of leaving our purses, bags, mails, posts, grocery bags on the table tops. So usually when I badly want some space to keep a hot vessel, I wont be able to find. I too feel I have too many vessels in kitchen ,so too many dishes to clean at the end of the day, the dish drainer wont hold them all, so have to use the table top. I am getting there, hopefully with some tips from you all, i would be able to get there faster.. :)

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear ILT,

I know if there is a surface, there is stuff and it is common in most house holds. So you are not alone:) I am one of those OCD people who does not like to have counter top cluttered at all. I am wondering about how much storage space you have in the kitchen. My kitchen is also the first room people walk into but I have a lot of space in the kitchen and it allows me to keep things like grinder, toaster and other things inside.

I can see how the microwave and even the ladle holder stays on the counter top.

I think one top should be used to keep your fruit basket.

I want to go on, but if you perhaps tell how much space you have for storage, may be we can come up with some ideas.

1 person likes this.
  3. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILT,

As Sabitha said, i like clutter free counter top always...after cooking, i clear everything and put them back to the places where they belong, i keep toaster, sandwich maker, panini maker, mixie all inside the storage space, only the MW i have on the countertop, i kept in one of the available space, which i dont use much...

You can keep the fruit basket on the dining table, if it is easy available to reach..

For coffee/sugar/tea you can use a lazy susan in one of the racks available...

I followed some of the tips that are given in this website- How to organize the kitchen | A Bowl Full of Lemons

Hope this helps...

Sravani

1 person likes this.
  4. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi Srama and Sravanitenali,

Thank you for your responses.

My kitchen has very less storage space, and they are already occupied with the pans, kadais, mixer jars etc [thank God I dont have grinder]. I use toaster and mixie on daily basis, and I find moving them daily inside the cupboards is very hard, and I dont want to do that. I am not that keen on having perfectly clean kitchen, but just want to have some space unoccupied always and have the table tops less messier. I moved the spice jars inside last weekend, it got me some space, but seems like whenever I create some space, I am getting very good in crowding it more.

Where do you ladies have onions, potatoes and other vegetables that shouldnt be kept in fridge??

5. hmishra

hmishra Platinum IL'ite

I have been battling with that too. I put the rice container & the flour container in a cabinet. M sure u have cabinets...

Can u tell how many cabinets u have??

I have the rack in which i put all the washed dishes next to the basin.. And next to the rack i put the basket wit the onions & potatoes.

I peel the garlic and put it in a zip lock bag n put it in the fridge.

On the other side of the basin, i keep the toaster, coffee maker, grinder, & oil. 4 things arranged. After use put it back there. Rest all the stuff are inside the cabinets.

1 person likes this.