1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Water Filters - in U.S.A

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by msm, Dec 31, 2013.

1. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends - I used to visit U.S many a times before for work related trips, but now my trip is little longer and also with family. Before I used to buy bottled water or refill cans in wallmart or in the Glacier machines for drinking and use the kitchen tap water for cooking.

Now I want to know whats the best option for drinking water? Is Kitchen tap water good enough to be used for cooking? Do we have any ROS filters (like aquaguard in India) that can be fitted in kitchen taps as well as for bathing? I see a lot of hair fall with this water.

As I'm staying in an apartment am not sure if I can go for a whole house water treatment that I see in Costco and other places.

What are all your experiences? Pls share and suggest some good options for me.

P.S: Not sure if this is the right place for this query, pls move to the right one.

2. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

62 views - but 0 reply :-( Please share your experiences and suggestions for me.

3. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

you can buy the brita pitchers or the filters and attach it to tap.
    You can replace the filters once they are showing the indication to replace

4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

We use BRITA filter & pitcher. I live in CA, and use it only to add flavor to the drinking water, as otherwise water here is quite bland. As per USA standards, tap water served to residences are drinkable directly. I checked this with my Dr too.

But, I have always used BRITA

5. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much Vidukarth and JustMyself for your replies. How about for the bathing water? Did you face hairfall because of the chlorine/hardness of the water? Do you suggest any option to over come that?

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I use a Pur filter on my kitchen tap purely for taste and I also use this water for cooking. As for showers, there is a filter for chlorine you can get that fits between the pipe and the shower head especially for this purpose.

1 person likes this.
  7. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Thanks tashidelek2002 for your reply - do u suggest any brand name for the shower
    head filter?

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

No, I have never used one as my shower system doesn't accommodate one. You will just have to google and see the reviews.

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If you have municipal water supply then it is safe to drink straight from the tap. I use a Brita filter just so the water tastes better.
    I have not faced any hairloss issues from the water here. I have heard that if you leave the water in a bucket for a day or two, the chlorine will evaporate. Maybe that is an option.

10. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

i did not know about the filter for the shower to avoid chlorine. thanks for the information