1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

how to keep house--if you despise cleaning :P

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by cyan45, Aug 20, 2013.

1. cyan45

cyan45 Senior IL'ite

hi ladies,

i had an interesting conversation today re my cupboard/fridge organizing skills. suffice to say, it was not a glowing report :( after i got over feeling depressed/irritable, i started to troubleshoot and discovered my strengths and weaknesses. for example:

strengths--clean as i go, organizing things in house, clean kitchen/counter tops, make bed every day
    weaknesses--cleaning fridge, keeping things orderly in the cupboard, dusting

there are others of course but you get the basic idea.

i WANT to do better and understand the power of a schedule (daily/weekly/monthly). i do things, i just want to do more but don't know where to start! i'm not a complete slob, but i am not terribly neat either.
    please help! :drowning

thanks so much!

2 people like this.

2. cyan45

cyan45 Senior IL'ite

ps: i will also read through previous threads for tips, sorry i just wanted to ask for help straight away. many thanks again...

3. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

You talking about me???

Even I am trying to make a weekly routine to clean Bathrooms, fridge, cupboard.

Like for now, I do bathrooms once on Sunday thoroughly & then on Wednesday.
    Fridge I keep on thursdays....plain removing old veggies, cooked & uncooked, cleaning the glass with damp cloth & cleaning the ice trays....
    Cupboards I havent developed a routine yet....so whenever I see it a bit messy I just sit & do it tidy. Then Saturday evening or Sunday noon I try to arrange properly.
    Dusting is something I dont like & I am allergic to dust anyway....so I totally avoid it ;-)

Lets wait for more inputs

4. ns

ns Silver IL'ite

Do little everyday. Don't let things pile up.

Put things back in their right place, EVERY TIME. Do not put anything in a temporary place and think 'I will put it away later on'. That later on moment will never come.

Make permanent solutions for storage. Think over and decide how you want to arrange things in cupboards and cabinets and stick to them. As far as possible, keep everything in boxes. No packets should be lose. Boxes look neat.

2 people like this.
  5. Yettobemom

Yettobemom Gold IL'ite

Dear op, seems to be my story too:( I despise cleaning too. For dusting I give little extra to my maid as I can't get myself to do it anyhow. For fridge it's ongoing ,whenever I bring veg or fruits before storing new I throw out the old ones which can't be used. For cupboard too same thing, I renew the arrangement when I buy couple dresses or when I find difficult to find the match;)
    But yes I can't be called a good organised wife who keeps her house well :(

6. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi op,
    I was sailing in same boat, felt so lost.
    In one of thred read about fly lady website.
    Its helped me.hope it does answer your Q too.:)

7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

A little bit everyday keeps things neat and clean.

* Make a habit of putting things back where they belong. It will be an effort in the starting but once the habit is formed you will be happy you did it.

* I shop once a week for groceries and only buy things enough for 1 week only. I do buy milk & bread again during week but veges & fruits & meat is bought for a week. That way when I clean my fridge on Thursday there is hardly have anything to throw .

*Once you finish cooking make sure all the spices are back where they belong.

* I dust once a week .

Here is a weekly schedule, feel free to adjust according to your life style.http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/originals/de/99/d8/de99d8bad2dd0e7a7b5476ebeb9e062c.jpg

8. cyan45

cyan45 Senior IL'ite

thank you so much ladies! i'm glad to hear your tips (and don't feel like i'm the only one who hates cleaning LOL).

last night i attempted to make hyderabadi chicken biryani, and there were lots of things to clean along the way: cutting board, little bowls with ingredients, a few pans/pots, cooking utensils, etc...i'm proud to say that, although the biryani had much to be desired, the kitchen looked great!

i did discover however that i make excellent brown fried onions in ghee/oil! i have to be proud of something *sigh*

cheers :)

9. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Good going cyan45 !!! hyderabadi biryani yummmyummmm!!!! I am craving some biryani now lol!!!

10. ashwinikanchi

ashwinikanchi Bronze IL'ite

one idea to make house neat is by inviting a friend to our house for tea or lunch, in that way we get mood to do work. since we feel shy if the house is not clean . usually monthly once i take 1 day to clean one room in that way 5 days 5 rooms (including bathroom and kitchen) but when I get a call that some one is coming to visit us i clean 5 rooms in 1 day.

1 person likes this.