1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Organising kitchen storage

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by pkamaths, Apr 19, 2013.

1. pkamaths

pkamaths Silver IL'ite

Hey ladies,
    we stay in india and currently remodelling our kitchen... we are going for modular type kitchen.... i wanted advice on the different types of storage containers to be used for Dals, Rice, etc. for example how to store 10 kgs rice and 5 kg chappati atta

i was browsing the net and was checking the tupperware storage materail... please share you reviews or any additional tips as well.

2. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

You can go for stainless steel vessels also for storing rice/ atta

3. shanthinisiva

shanthinisiva New IL'ite

Hi pk,

For rice and atta you can use plastic bucket or for atta plastic vessel with beautiful prints (flowers or pictures), try to use vessel with colour combination. Or can use stainless steel vessels. I use Horlicks bottles, jam bottles for small quantity (250g-800g).

shanthinisiva

4. devipriya

devipriya Senior IL'ite

I think it depends on how you feel to have the look of your kitchen and the budget you have

You can wait for the Big Bazaae Shopping Festivals, where you will get good deals of such Containers...

From my experience I would say they are of good food grade and of good prices when they have Buy 1 Get 3 Policy

5. chithrasathish

chithrasathish Senior IL'ite

Dear pkamaths,

I would not suggest tupperware - its quite costly - and I am not sure, why so many people are having so much affection to it..

Shanthinisiva suggestion is good. Better go for it.

Regards,

Chithra

1 person likes this.
  6. Sabitha

Sabitha Gold IL'ite

hi, am using tupperware storage container for all dals, masala powders, atta, sugar, etc., for rice storage using medium size drum. Previously i used stainless steel storage container, its occupy two shelves, now all storage container in one shelf and easy to locate dals coz of transparent box.

But tupperware is costly, anyone cant spend big amount at once in that. u can buy it on monthly basis have some offer with free gifts for tupperware products, if u buy tupperware.

7. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I am gradually making my kitchen plastic free, it is not easy to get rid of plastic, but i am making a slow but steady progress :) I would suggest going for stainless steel for bigger containers and glass for smaller ones like dhal and spices if you want to go for a plastic free kitchen.

Best:thumbsup

6 people like this.
  8. pkamaths

pkamaths Silver IL'ite

hi,
    any reason behind making your kitchen plastic free? actually stainless steel not being transparent it is difficult to know the contents as well as the quantity.

9. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

Because plastic takes 100s of years to get degrade and be eligible to get mixed with nature. I applaud Akila Mani's "Go Green" initiative at home level.

3 people like this.
  10. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

Pls go for plastic free. Whether its BPA free or tupperware..plastic is plastic. Opt for Steel or Glass.
    Once you start using steel on daily basis you will know what's in each container.
    For better health and better environment please get rid of plastics. There are some posts here how to get to plastic free kitchen. My kitchen is 100% plastic free since few months.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
    3 people like this.