1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Stainless steel pressure cooker

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Mahi2000, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Mahi2000

Mahi2000 Bronze IL'ite

Hi I recently brought Prestige stainless steel handi pressure cooker, i tried biriyani in that,but there was burning of food at the bottom,anybody had similar experiences please tell me . Is there anyway to prevent burning at the bottom?

2. sivaranjaniadi

sivaranjaniadi Bronze IL'ite

hi mahi,
    i also have burnt bottom,
    i tried pouring hot water and with lemon.
    now looking better

cheers
    siva

3. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Stainless steel cooker gets burnt easily unlike the aluminum one.Make sure that you always cook in medium flame.

Recently I bought a stainless steel cooker.When you make direct cooking like biriyani,try to add some extra water as it gets heated easily.This you have to learn by trial and error method only.

To remove the burnt marks,add some dish washing soap and add a cup of water.Bring it to boil and then after it cools down scrub it off.Adding lemon is also a good idea.

4. luv2smile

luv2smile Silver IL'ite

nice tips thank u ! i am also planning to buy a SS pressure cooker inplace of my aluminium cooker

5. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sisters,

Me too joining the band, first time tried out POngal (direct cooking) same as usual but got burnt, though I have cleaned with the liquid Vim dish washer, I have never attempted direct cooking after that.

@kishore mommy sister, adding extra water, can we maintain the normal consistency.. Thnaks

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I cook rice pulao in the rice cooker so this avoids the burnt question. If you are using meat, you could cook that with liquid in a pressure cooker and then transfer to the rice cooker using the liquid for the liquid for rice cooking.

You can get burned off food out of hte pan by boiling coca cola in the pan.

7. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Biryani or pulao needs to be cooked on medium-low flame in a SS pressure cooker.

I feel aluminium cookers are better than SS cookers for biryani.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mahi2000

Mahi2000 Bronze IL'ite

Yes you are correct,but aluminium is not good for the health...u cannnot store food in a aluminum vessel for long time.

9. Mahi2000

Mahi2000 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the nice tip...let me try it...i had hard time cleaning the burnt mess...i used baking soda ,lemon....soaked to 24 hrs then kept cleaning .....

10. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Aluminium not good for health is a common or should i say a recent misconception. All the ladies in my mom's gen and earlier used aluminium cookers and keep using the same cookers till date. No harm to our health, right?

Aluminium vessels are good for cooking but not good for storage. As soon as you finish your cooking, transfer the contents to another vessel and rinse the cooker with water. Your aluminium cooker will last for years.