1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Moving house - need inputs

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by ptamil2007, Jun 13, 2011.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ilites,

It is not that I have not moved houses before. I have it done three times with moving cities, countries .

This time I have the added challenge of continuing the job, finishing off here, son's school, cleaning, packing etc etc

I would like to know inputs in these areas:

1. Kitchen : dishes, groceries etc.. Any inputs in this regards
    2. Clothes
    3. toys

We do not have much furniture except these:
    1. A shoe cabinet
    2. a bathroom cabinet
    3 A toy bench

Any inputs will help me getting organized

Thanks
    Pavithra

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Pavithra,

assuming you are moving locally, and have some time too.

this is how i did. though i did not have to go for a job, i had the added responsibility of getting my new home ready for moving, with school going kids....and the works.

1. analyse what all you are going to take to the new place.
    2. since the amount of heavy furniture is less..it is one job less.
    3. get enough carton boxes, bubble packing sheets if necessary, markers and tapes
    4. i will first make a box for all the important papers/files/medical records. i will label and ensure that everything goes into it, before any chaos starts.
    5. i will also ensure that i have dresses/ things i will need for the first 2/3 days in a separate box.
    6. do one room at a time. example..living room..pack things from this room from knickknacks to books in cartons, with labels on them. i will ensure i pack breakable items rolled into newspaper/bubble sheet..
    7. toys if your son has lot of toys, and there are toys that he has been playing for quite some time maybe you need to pack and seal them for the time being and rotate less used toys..by labelling the cartons, you will know what is in which.like frequently used..and not so frequently used..
    8. kitchen since you live in a country where you can leave things outside, in the sense
    vegetables.stop stocking the fridge, and using the available, helps you clear and also reduce wastage.groceries too, the ones you have not opened, can go into a box for being used later, while you use all that is already opened. you have sauces, oil cans..they need to go tightly packed in a box at the end. or you can put them in a bag and tightly seal the neck of the bag, in such a way there is no more moving space.start reducing the number of dishes you use for daily cooking.and clean wipe and pack..you will get the hang of it within a day.

will come back if i remember more.

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot Shanvy..You have got me started on a good foot.

Will start off as you said and looking forward to hearing more

4. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Pavithra,

Shanvy has given you good pointers. If you plan well, final move will be very easy.

These are some reminders from my side.

Maintain an excel sheet in which you can track the items and box labels/numbers. you can start by listing down the things,room,whom it belongs etc.

Label the carton boxes with number and identification of room to which it belongs.Mark the fragile boxes as "fragile - this side up".you can also mark the boxes as 1/20,2/20 etc. you can fill in the total box count at the end.

Use old clothes/paper to avoid items scratching each other.

Get all the clothes washed and packed neatly before you leave the house.

Make your DS bag separately for the new daycare. It might be his paperwork,set of clothes,bottles,little food and other supplies that you should provide to the daycare.

Keep a bag with couple of clothes/toiletries etc that you & family will use for first few days. you can unpack rest of the bags slowly.

Plan your initial days in the new house about menu. you will get some idea about what grocery you might need to buy.Keep it simple. If possible, keep a small carton box only with items you will need for first couple of meals.

Carry all valuable items with you.

Breakable items must be packed with bubble wrap or stuff old clothes in between.
    Also you can transfer grocery items into ziplock bags.
    Pack carefully the spillable things like oil,pickles...See if you must carry them. They are bound to spill how safely you pack.

Keep us posted of your status whenever you get time. Good luck.

5. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

When packing, if you know what house you're going to be staying in, its helpful to pack according to the new house - things that go in the same rooms in the new house go in the same cluster of boxes. Then label those room numbers or whatever on the boxes, so the movers know which rooms to unload which boxes in.

Saved us a lot of time and sanity during moving.

6. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Pavithra,

The tips others have given are great... but here are my tuppence:

I am going to assume that you will do most of the moving on your own.. So make sure you have plenty of food for the day of the move. If u can cook in advance, well and good. Or get a friend to provide u with some food for the day. Get some ready made parathas or rotis so that u can heat it up quickly. The other saving grace is frozen food. Get a few meals and u r sorted..

Will write more as I remember them.. (It;s been 4 years since my last move :p)

Mythili

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Few tips.

1. Do not number boxes. It gets confusing towards the end. But label each and every box with its contents. For eg dont put "kitchen utensils" as a box label, instead say something like " Kitchen Items - Tava, pressure cooker, cooking pots and spoons". Very useful when trying to find items in a new place.

2. For each room, have a box labeled "Open me First" - into this box goes items you will need immediately after shifting. For example, for a bathroom box, you may have soap, tooth brush/paste, shampoo, hand towels etc. These generally would be the last items you pack when moving out.

3. Do not try packing a whole lot at a same time. Do a bit everyday. I had an excel spreadsheet with things to pack (attached here) and I put a date next to it and time estimate as well so that I knew how long it takes. I checked off things as I packed them to track my progress.

4. Save newspapers/magazines to wrap cups, plates, foto framers etc.

5. Label each and every box with it's destination room and it's contents. This way your movers will know where to place the boxes and you will not have to move them yourself when you get to the new place.

Attached Files:

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Pavithra,

If you already have access to the new apartment..i'm guessing you've a fully furnished kitchen; stock up the new fridge with essentials like milk, yogurt etc., We moved last week but ours is a very different story. we moved all furnitures (unfurnished apartment both old and new) and also the kitchen. But this is what i did when we lived in furnished apartments. Also keep a bag handy with snacks, drinks etc.,

Good luck:)

9. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

hridhaya: Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.
    Dhaanika: Thank you Dhaanika. We will be moving by ourselves
    Mythili : Thats a great pointer. Thank you
    Happysoul1234: Thanks for your inputs. Quite true,we will forget what numbers mean what
    Traveller: Thank you for the inputs. The problem as of now is we have not finalised on the house.
    quite crazy days with not being able to find a creche near the house...
    If the house is good, no creche,
    If there is creche, no places available
    If there is creche and places there, no houses...
    :spin :spin

I just hope it gets settled soon.

Thanks for all the inputs. will soon come back with more questions :)

10. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Pavithra,

I have always found it difficult with food when moving.

You have mentioned that you have not yet found the right place to move in to, I was going to suggest a few other things. I would suggest that pack the less used clothes and toys and things that you really wont need for the near future. Make a list of what you have packed. (Preferably a word doc or an excel spread sheet). This has helped me in the past. You need to have your summer jackets and umbrellas out in case it rains suddenly.. The other thing you could do is buy your general grocery in smaller amounts so that you will not have to cart all that to the new place.. I know it will be expensive, but that caught me out the last time we moved. (And we were moving just two blocks where we lived before!!)

Good luck with the move :)

Mythili