1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Any idea as to how you clean non-stick dosa tawa?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by mickeymini, Apr 10, 2011.

1. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi friends can anybody tell me how to clean the corners of the non-stick dosa tawa. The corners of the dosa tawa becomes black and cannot be cleaned with a steel scrubber so can any of you tell me some idea as how to clean it and also for the longer life of the tawa.

2. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

Cleaning the corners of a non stick tawa cannot be done with a steel or scotch bite scrubber except with plastic scrubber. The reason for it becoming black is use of oil while making dosa.
    Avoid pouring oil, if at all it is poured otherwise pour on the dosa so that your edges do not become black.

Next is while making dosa have the flame in medium or sim and never on high. For the dosa not getting dark, always cover it and it will not only come out in shape but also won't become black or burnt.

Never pour water while the tawa or any non stick utensil is hot.

You can scrub by using the steel wool but the teflon coating would go. It will become useless.

Use this tawa for making rotis and get a new one and follow the instructions.

3. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Thank you Mathangi Mam for your immediate fb. I will try it this way.:)

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

mickey,

this is what i do, and have suggested to lot of my friends, all have got good results.

after using the tava, when it is still hot, use a few tissue or a soiled kitchen napkin rub on the sides of the tava hard. the grease that is accumulated comes out easily..do this a few times.
    make this a habit every time you finish cooking, the tava remains clean.

Wash it as you regularly wash with a soft dishwashing cloth/scrubber and soap/liquid.

5. geethaprashanth

geethaprashanth Silver IL'ite

hi mickey mini,

I agree with shanvy, when the pan is still hot we can wash with soap water and scrubber well, I have tried this way and it will work.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

geetha,

i don't wash it when it is hot. because it will make the grease to stick more fast.

i only rub away the grease when it is hot. and clean it when it is cool.

7. Pragadha

Pragadha Senior IL'ite

hi,

Yah i 2 had the same problem until last minute. As told by shanvy mam i did some few days back but i cant clean it. I think it is because of my age old dirt and also i dont have soiled napkin. So i left it. But today i made uthappam for my hubby and again i tried it with tissue but i cant clear it then i just scrubbed very very lightly with my steel dosai tiruppi (one used to turn dosa)when it was still hot to my surprise it has gone and my tawa also didnt get damaged. I dont know whether it can be done with wooden spatula or not. Immediately i came in to give my feedback.

Thankyou shanvy mam,
    with love,
    latha.

8. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanvy

Thank you so much for the idea. I will surely try like what you said and then let you know.

9. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi Geetha Prashanth thank you so much for your feedback. But i read somewhere that if we wash the tawa when it is hot it may reduce the lifetime of the nonstick tawa.

10. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

thats a nice tip.. thanks for sharing ppl