1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to store masala powders

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by gvi, Mar 5, 2011.

1. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I am not sure if there is a similar thread , searched for it , could not find it. I would like to know the best way to store bought small sized masala powders (the ones we get in grocery stores for example MDH garam masala ,Everst pav bhaji masala, Channa masala). Right now, I keep it in my fridge :biggrin2: .

I am really interested to know what other ILs are doing since I think there has to be a better way than to store in Fridge. Can you also post the containers you use to store these if possible.

I was thinking about buying a spice rack and store them but not sure . Amazon.com: Olde Thompson 16-Jar Orbit Spice Rack: Kitchen & Dining

But I already have a similar spice rack (which you get here in Costco) to hold the Italian spices (not that I use that everyday) but I use it when I make pasta (at least 2 times a week) . So I am not sure if I have to another spice rack.

Thanks
    Geetha

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

2. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

I store it in small plastic boxes outside of the fridge(My fridge is full all the time:hide:).Iam planning to buy the spice rack too

3. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

I reuse bottles that contained other products - like tamarind paste bottles, starbucks frappe drink bottles, mango juice bottles etc. I soak them in hot water to get the labels off and then run them through the dishwasher. Having all the masalas stored in similar shape and size bottles looks very neat and organized in the cupboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Thats a nice tip DNM.But I have a hardtime in removing the labels.It does not go completely.

5. gvi

gvi Senior IL'ite

Thats a good tip DNM. Now I have to pester my husband to buy those bottled starbucks drinks they sell in costco since I dont drink coffee/tea.:biglaugh

6. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Chotu and gvi - actually if you soak them in hot water and scrub them with a metal scrubber, the labels come off like a dream - hardly any effort required.

You could also go to Ikea and buy a dozen glass bottles/or jars that they have in the kitchen section if you feel strongly about having your kitchen look professionally decorated and organized. They are fairly cheap there and they have good seasonal deals. I just hate wasting anything and love recycling or re-using stuff.

7. gdivya85

gdivya85 Junior IL'ite

I store in small plastic containers/air tight boxes at a dark place. yeah, avoid storing in fridge.

8. ashiyana

ashiyana New IL'ite

I keep bulk spices from the co-op in a cabinet inside plastic containers. The larger bags I take out enough for masala dabba and the rest I close with a clip and put inside a ziplock bag or large sealable plastic container. The MDH masalas I just close with a small clip and keep in the cabinet in their original boxes. I do not have any problem with bugs in my new place but if you are on a ground floor or have problems with bugs then seal each one in a separate ziplock. It's too much waste so I don't do that right now.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

A friend of mine (Indian) who is a gourmet chef instructed me to store my spices in the freezer which I now have been doing for years. I reuse glass jars and keep the bulk of my spices this way and then transfer small amounts to a steel spice box. In this way your spices stay good almost indefinitely. In my case, spice shopping is a real pain and in this way they are always handy and waste is minimized.

For getting off the labels, a really good product is Dissolvit which comes in a pump bottle in the cleaning products aisle of Walmart.

10. kiran21181

kiran21181 New IL'ite

hi ,

I store my masala powders in Garber's bottle (baby food).
    I have so much . Instead of throwing it away ,I use that bottles for storing masala powders .

thanks