1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning combs and hairbrushes

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Sahmaara, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Sahmaara

Sahmaara Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Not sure if there is a thread already on this topic. How do you clean your hairbrushes, combs etc.? Combs are still okay, but I wonder how to clean hair brushes??:hide::hide:

Also, how often do you change/buy new combs.hairbrushes?

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Change them if they get dirty - maybe once a year or so. Usually these things are not very expensive - unless they are some special designer brands.

3. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

I soak my combs and hair brushes once a month in hot soapy water for about an hour and then rinsking them off with more hot water. Generally most of the gunk has dissolved in the soapy water or is easily rinsed off at that point. Before soaking them, you have to make sure you have removed all hair with your fingers, though.

You also get comb cleaners in India. I personally don't like them since they make you do all the dirty work.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Dish detergent works well for cleaning combs and brushes. I assume that the brush you are cleaning is some type of bristle brush and not that type with the long thick bristle with the little ball on the end. Soap up the brush with detergent and then use your comb to remove the hairs. Run your fingers down the rows with some effort to really soap them well. You can at this point also soak them in the water leaving in the detergent and rinse after 1+ hours. For the comb, use a nail brush and dish detergent to scrub the teeth.

Spiderman: a good boar bristle brush costs $30-$50 and will last for years with care. Those cheap brushes are not good for hair and cause breakage and other damage.

5. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

You could also use some lukewarm water and baking soda to clean.

Be careful with using water in wooden handled brushes (or those with rubber bases or the boar bristle brushes) though, immersing those in water will cause the brush to breakdown a lot sooner.

You could instead use a dry shampoo and a used toothbrush to clean the gunk out of these instead of using water on them.

6. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

I use an old toothbrush to clean combs.For hair brushes I remove the entwined hair from them as frequently as possible.For both comb and brush I use dettol liquid wash and does this atleast once in a week. I get new ones only when the old get its tooth broken.
    (the hair brush i mentioned are the ones with thick ones not the bristle one).

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I make it a habit to clean all haircombs n brushes once a fortnight so I dont see the need to soak but I do use luke warm soapy water to clean them with toothbrush.....to get rid of germs n oil n sweat........

8. EcoGreen

EcoGreen Senior IL'ite

I soak the combs and brushes in water mixed with baking soda. Then I use a tooth brush for thorough cleaning. I found this method cleaned the brushes and combs very effectively.

9. MightyMom

MightyMom New IL'ite

I clean my combs by putting them in the dish washer. It cleans them real good.

10. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Each and every time when we take head shower(me and my DD), I clean all the combs.I soak them in water and with an old tooth brush and the shampoo which we use for head ,I clean the combs.

When I go inside the bathroom for shower, I take all the combs along with me so that I don't forget to clean and it is mostly weekly once.(only cleaning combs and not my shower)

I am strictly following the principal of not using the combs after our head shower unless it is cleaned.I have never used a dirty comb till today.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011