1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Be careful about clove powder in Magic Bullet blender spice grinder jar

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by tashidelek2002, Dec 12, 2010.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Just wanted to pass on a warning about a problem I recently had with my Magic Bullet blender spice jar. I have a knock off of Magic Bullet but I am sure the plastic is the same. I was making cucember pickles a couple months ago and I was canning lots of jars and it got late and so I figured I would clean up in the morning. I had ground whole cloves in the spice jar (I needed some spoons of that) and the spice jar was low on my clean up list and it went two days before I finally attacked. (I was not worried as it was just freshly ground spice.) When I opened the jar the clove powder as all stuck into the plastic and the plastic was all eaten up by the cloves. My jar was ruined!! I did contact the company and they sent a new one but I want to warn all of you to clean out cloves IMMEDIATELY so you don't ruin your plastic jars.

2. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

I am surprised. Clove oil is not corrosive to plastics. What is more likely is that if the cloves were ground continuously the powder becomes hot the powder is quite sticky and virtually bonds to the surface. The heat could have melted the plastic.
    If the inching function is used or interrupted grinding is done, it should be safe.

Arunadhri

3. tashidelek2002

I didn' t grind enough for heat to be a factor....the plastic was eaten even from the fine powder sprayed around. I myself was surprised what had happened but I am sure the cloves ate the plastic. The clear sides and also the black base were all seriously pitted and the cloves were virtually attached into the plastic. Just after grinding they were like any other spice powder freely moving in the jar and not attached with no visible damage to the jar. It attached only after sitting.

4. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

You seem to be right. I stand corrected. Some plastics appear to be affected by clove oil. I shall study this some more and revert if I find which plastics are susceptible.
    Isolation of Clove Oil
    Arunadhri

5. tashidelek2002

Arunadrhi....if you find out any plastics unaffected by clove oil would you please let me know the distinguishing type? for now I am just storing clove powder in glass.

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear tashidelek,
    Special thanks for this thread. Though not exactly cloves so far, I allow the mixture to sit in the jar till I identify a suitable container. Sometimes it is overnight as well.
    Living in the US, you could geta replacement. I bought it thro' eBay & a replacement is ruled out!!
    Thanks & love,
    C.

7. tashidelek2002

Thanks for stopping by Chitra. Luckily for me my unit had a warranty and I called and they sent a replacement. As it turned out, they said it was cheaper to just send the whole thing than one jar (the odd New Economics!!) and they sent everything: base unit, jars, spice jar, etc. so now I will be able to blend into eternity. Really though, I was so horrified to see the condition of my spice jar after those cloves hit it: they should have a warning in the package! FYI I got my unit at Aldi sometime back.

8. kanthaeikon

kanthaeikon Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the information dear. Some time I use to keep the mixer as it is to use it for tomorrow
    kanthaI

9. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,
    thanx for sharing this with us. i will be careful when i use them.

10. Liveandletlive

Liveandletlive New IL'ite

hi, even I sometimes keep the ground powder in the jar till I find a suitable container.Thank God I did not grind cloves yet.Thank you so much for the information.