Your child's favourite sport

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by muzna, Feb 2, 2009.

1. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

:hiyaWhat is your child's favorite sport?
    Did you have to think twice for an answer?
    Nowdays due to indoor activities taking precedence to outdoor sports, our children are deprived of the exercise their body needs, for their optimum growth.
    Let us all discuss about what our children like, if they play the sport , if we are doing our best to help them get into sports and how. :help
    Many a times we put blame on others, the school, studies, and other activities which do not leave time for the kids to participate in sports.
    But i am sure many among us are taking time out to help our children in this field.
    Please share with us how you manage , where your child is being coached, how you take out time, and what sport is the child playing?
    This will help us all to change our perspective about how to help our kids in this field.:thankyou2:

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Muzna,

[​IMG]..
    Will be able to write here after I am a mom...Until that wait karo for my FB..

Tata

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai.

After the boring office hours and tired travelling - it is a boost for me to play with my children.

They would have finished their homework by the time I am reaching home and since it will be night mostly indoor games only - hide & seek / throwing a paper ball in the basket, word building.

On Sunday the day is ours (provided no other engagements). Usually it will be a running race / small cricket etc.

Andal

4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Muzna:

While we were in the UK, the only outlet my children had was the sports they played since the weather was not conducive for them to play outside.

So both children were into tennis and my daughter was into swimming as well and we used to take them around for these activities. In school, they got to play football, basketball and netball, etc through after school club activities.

Taking them out for these activities formed major part of our routine:)

Thankfully, once back in India, my son has been able to play to his heart's content and that can be anything from football and cricket once back from school in the apartment complex. Both children go to a school which gives sports high priority and they get to do tennis and swimming there.

My son enjoys his tennis but is interested in football and cricket and tabletennis as well whereas my daughter seems to enjoy her swimming.

So their sporting activity is taken care mostly in school. This was a deliberate attempt by us, though we are not sure how it will workout in the long run whether we can continue to have them in that kind of school since academics takes a slight backseat and we are not used to that. But so far it is has work well for us in the sense that we don't have to take them out for these activities.

How about you, Muzna?

Sindhu

5. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear saras
    i am sure your kiddos are going to be as sporty as you are:)

6. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear swathi
    thanks for your sweet fb, i could visualize a tired mom waiting to reach home to her kids.
    i am sure it would not be easy for a working lady t give more tima for the children's sports. but what ever we can do should be with our whole heart and what you write is true... its a boost.
    one suggestion though.. if the children are in school, youcan meet their sports teacher, and show your interest that your children join . many a times when a teacher is aware of this they take interest in the child. when it is done in the formative years this helps more.:)

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Muzna,

My DS is crazy about cricket.he eats, breathes and dreams cricket..(i wish he liked someother sport too sometimes..) he is almost a walking enclopaedia of cricket..to the extent, i stopped subscribing to any dish or tata tv, because of his obsession to watch matches of the 1960/70 too.

He goes for coaching in a school near my house, and the master is a coach for a government concern.

My Daughter loves swimming. she has classes at school.
    the school allows them to play throw ball, kho kho and other sports.

Apart from that cycling is enjoyed by both.

chess is something they like to play.

8. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear sindhu
    it is nice to learn the way you are helping your children in sports. i have always felt that when ever children participate in any activity, they tend to learn about discipline, hard work, and achievement. and also about social pressures and norms and how to deal with these. so the earlier they learn , better it is for them.
    and being able to provide this opportunity for your child is great, and is a privilege for the child.
    as for my son, he does go out to play, plays football in school, but loves swimming. at this juncture, we let him do all this coz when he grows up and studies would need to be in the forefront..he might have to sacrifice some time but till then i wish him to grow into a well rounded human being.:)

9. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear shanvy
    i am impressed by the interest your son takes in sports and excels in cricket:thumbsup. on another thread . i have played so many sports , but till day i have felt, if only i had given time to just one of them. i might have excelled. i think you should give him all the support. but yes try to teach him one thing.... that if he is so interested in cricket, he should try to excel in it, where he needs to correct his style and, by finding out what he needs to get a perfect style.
    and listen to the coach.. and study the style of the big players of all times. i am sure he must be doing many of these. but i'll be happy if anything could help him.:)

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

muzna dearie,

Thanks for all the wishes. yes, we have been trying all that. i have my own restrictions, so all the ideas come from the coach as DH is here only for few days at a time. When he is here, he teaches better techniques too. but there is one thing we tell our kids, that you have to learn to listen to your coach, he knows better.

He wants to play for the under 13 team, and we are hoping we will be able to help him. yes all encouragement, is definitely needed to boost his confidence.

Thanks a lot once again.