An Accomplishment gone unnoticed....

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Shanvy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

Would like to say three cheers to the women's cricket team for making their fourth successive win in the Asia Cup. A win that just got mentioned when a lot of coverage was given to IPL.

I love cricket. But I do get a excessive dose of cricket because my son is mad about cricket. he loves to watch matches even if they were 20/30 year old.we do watch the women cricket also. and we like the indian team, the australian team and srilankan team comes a close second.

I have seen Women cricket games played. the rules are the same. The Indian Women’s cricket team became the first Asian team to reach the finals of a Women’s World Cup (I think it was 2005 and they will play in 2009..correct me if i am wrong). How many of us were aware of it. The men's team reaches finals then there are awards, cash prices, streets named, houses gifted.

Even sania mirza appears prompty on sports column getting coverage,is it more because of the controversies and her glamour quotient.

Why is this differentiation and bias. A men's team that keeps on hanging between losses gets all the media coverage and all the best resources. why not the women's team.

The way this women's team has been winning matches, I will not be surprised if they win the world cup also.

This is to wish this team to get more laurels.

I feel irritated seeing the bias...what about you.

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Shanthi:

Very annoying and how true. And wasn't that what the movie - 'Chak de' was about? But then you see Shahrukh Khan as the owner of a cricket team in IPL! Anyway, those are 2 different issues.

If you had not posted this, wouldn't have been aware of it. Sadly, that is the state. Hope the women's cricket team (why just that - the other sports teams as well) get more laurels and henceforth hope they get more attention they deserve.

Sindhu

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi dearmost
    Thanks for bringing this to attention. Since I dont watch cricket this is news to me.. esp. good news to celebrate.
    Ofcourse this is biased towards women. It is my opinion that this can be changed by each and every one of us.
    At my home I insist that we give equal coverage to men and women sports. Actually I do not have to insist as dh and ds appreciate women and watch their sports too.
    But this has to start at home and each of us women ensure that our children realise this early it will change over time. just my opinion.
    Thank you for writing on a very important topic. Am going to go straight to fp and nominate.. very proud of you my friend!

4. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthi,

:clap:clap to the women's cricket team for the title.

You are right....too much coverage is given by the media to the Men in blue.
    I too am a great fan of the game......but do get irritated, when the media goes ga ga over them.

I think, it was last week...star news was repeatedly reporting about a old bunglow that Sachin Tendulkar bought.So what, if he buys something at some rate in some location.
    And now they are after Shoib Akhtar....he is often seen giving interviews and opinions on this and that.Rant

Same it was with Sania Mirza. The media never gave or gives half of that attention to chess grandmaster Koneru Humpy. I think she deserves more.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Bye

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sindhu,

IPL was called bikini cricket by one of the leading cricketers who also played in it. and it was also named cricketainment aptly. since this has been talked about a lot let me not go into it.

I saw a single line that was flashed along with others news. of course there was the customary congratulations from the Prime minister and president.

The gentleman's game rakes in moolah while rest of the sports and sportperson have to toil for a few necessary resources.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sindhu,

IPL was called bikini cricket by one of the leading cricketers who also played in it. and it was also named cricketainment aptly. since this has been talked about a lot let me not go into it.

I saw a single line that was flashed along with others news. of course there was the customary congratulations from the Prime minister and president.

The gentleman's game rakes in moolah while rest of the sports and sportperson have to toil for a few necessary resources.

7. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy,

Unfortunately you are in India...What else did you expect WitsendThey treat cricket as THE sport in there, as if hockey, football or any other isnt a sport.

Its all politics.. Hockey players did a dharna to be noticed by going on a huger strike.. What happened.. nothing.. Thats the fate of other sports in India and I dont think it will change anytime sooner.. That too with the IPL fame and all

BCCI is the richest group out there.. They make money in and out... Women's cricket will be overnight famous if only BCCI notice and did something. But that never happens. Coz the mass is like that..And poor people, force their male kid to love this sport no matter what.... but the same does not happen with a female kid.. she has to choose some other activities.. but never these..

Actually how many of mom's here actually would have allowed your daughter to choose this sport or for that matter sport like hockey, football? I don't think many.. - Now that got to change..

I actually appreciate Sania.. Whether it was her glamour or her controversies, atleast she did bring attention to tennis.. A sport OTHER than cricket in India... A sport now kids have choice to choose and fall in love too.

Secondly, its a male dominating community in India.. An all in all women sport is never appreciated or welcomed, me thinks..

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanvy,

A thought provoking post very suitable for our womens' forum.
    I didn't realize that there was so much bias in the sports media. It is a really a big shame.
    May be more films on the lines of Chak De India should be promoted.
    As for your post, Ac has promoted it to FP and rightfully so.
    Congrats!

L, Kamla

9. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanthi
    why only cricket even in other sports if the women wins it is not at all in the head lines you will see this news somewhere in the corner. Where as if any men team even losses we can see them in the front page................I wish this time the Indian women team will win the world cup and see what the media is going to do about it.
    Thanks for bringing this to notice............It really suits this forum

10. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanvy, good post..

Anyways in India its only Cricket when comes to sports cause it has taken India internationally. Cricket made our country earn name & fame.

Cheers to all those women Indian cricketers who are making us feel proud. Hope every one here will support them and encourage. Its sad to hear all these bias.

Congrats to women cricket team for the Asia cup.. Bow