Olympics Fever- London 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by knbg, Jul 7, 2012.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Olympics....

The most spectacular sports event of the world......

A sports festival that comes once in 4 years........

We all grew up reading about Olympics in "The Hindu" and "Sports Star" and watching Olympics in Doordarshan....with USA and Russia topping the 'Medal Tally'.....watching the gymnasts and skaters with awe......

Carl Lewis....Ben Johnson.....Nadia.....Bubka.....Michel Phelps.....were heart- throbs.....

Sporting the Olympic merchandise with the 'mascot' was in.......

Now, with just 20 more days to go for the Olympics- London 2012.......

Let us get the Olympic fever.......and discuss about our Olympic memories......Olympic heroes.......mascots.....interesting incidents....( who can forget the shocking news of doping ? ) ....Our Indian athletes.....and Hockey team........

Let us give our good wishes to them.........All the Best Team India- Olympics London 2012.

Here is the logo and mascot "Wenlock" for London-2012

View attachment 159359 WENLOCK.jpg

6 people like this.

2. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi,

Yes, lets kickstart the celebrations to the olympics :cheers.

I have always followed this event with great enthusiasm. I remember having made an album which had the pics of all the medal winners during the 1992 Barcelona games. I was saddened that there were none from our country in that list :-(.
    As a consolation, I put the pic of Shiny Wilson with the Indian flag, leading our contingent during that games .

All those pics were from "The Hindu", "The Indian Express" and "The Sportstart". Oh I used to always look forward to the centrespread pic of the magazine :) .

Okay will come back here with more of those memories.

Bye

2 people like this.
  3. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

weightlifting , shoot , atheletics look hopeful for india i think.... right ???

1 person likes this.
  4. knbg

Hi Saraswathi,
    What a nice start to this thread.....first FB from Saraswathi......Thanks for dropping in dear.:bowdown

I remember Misha, the mascot of Moscow Olympics.,
    Sam of LA Olympics, clearly......There would be stickers, bags, and our school diary cover had them....:coffee

And, every evening around 7PM, we would have the special high lights of the day telecast in DD....

The gymnasts and swimmers were always special to me......also I used to adore Sergi Bubka- the Pole vaulter.
    There were serials too in DD then na, on Nadia and Sergi Bubka....:coffee

1 person likes this.
  5. Saraswathipv

Bhargavi,

I was small during the moscow olympics :biggrin2:. Even LA games in 1984, I hardly remember. Seoul in 1988 was the first olympics that I remember. I can vividly recall seeing the opening ceremony with awe. We had long discussions about that in the school the next day.

Ben Johnson's episode was during that games na. I used to like Carl lewis :).

Yes Bubka was unbeatable. Oh so much memories flooding in. Lets continue...

2 people like this.
  6. knbg

Yes Saras,

It was in 1980 and was in Primary school....Misha would be every where then.....in bags, school diary cover and school PT T-shirt......:)...that reveals my age...oops....:rotfl

During Seoul Olympics, I stepped into high school.....and we would have compulsary morning games every morning....and during olympics , we would go to the practice with josh......:)

I remember tying my hair as a tiny bun like Monica Seles .....:hide:

Yes, Ben Johnson episode was then...we heard about all those steroids only then......

2 people like this.
  7. Saraswathipv

:rotfl:rotfl:rotflDon't worry..not too older to me.
    After the Seoul games, I used to read a lot about the Olympics and read that during 1980 and 1984 games in moscow and LA, there were some teams who boycotted.

Oh you too like Monica Seles . I adored her simply. I used to argue a lot with my friends who commented about her grunt on the court :hide:.

Yes, we heard about steroids etc for the first time those days.
    Haan the one hour telecast on DD was compulsory. I too loved the swimming and gymnast. of course, track and field was also the best. over all the olympics event make us all love sports all the more

2 people like this.
  8. knbg

Yes Saras,
    Also do you remember those Joyners...?
    Florence Joyner and Jakie Joyner...both the ladies were runners......and both won medals in Seoul Olympics.....

9. Saraswathipv

Oh yes..they were sis-in-laws na . I also remember florence's colorful nails :-D

2 people like this.
  10. knbg

And we got to watch many events for the first time,
    Like the Walking race, Water polo......

1 person likes this.