1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sunkan's Article in The Hindu

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by varalotti, Jun 5, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Gracious ILites,
    I am pleased to tell you that Sunkan's (Sundari's) article has appeared in todays Hindu, Bangalore Edition, Metroplus.

I am reproducing the article here for your views and comments.

Building a green tomorrow

<table bgcolor="#ffeeff" border="0" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td>Sound off! Trees should be made mandatory in apartment blocks as a means of preserving the environment, writes Sundari Kannan </td></tr></tbody></table>

<center>
    [​IMG]
    Greed is not good Sundari Kannan </center>
    Builders cut down at least two trees before building an apartment block, which in turn clutters the skyline and all the building material is allowed to fall into neighbouring gardens choking every last vestige of green.
    These people need to be told that lining their pockets is contributing to the ecological chaos in the city. The roads not very wide enough to handle the burgeoning population.
    Where earlier it was one family in a house, now we have 50 families in the same plot of land. The infrastructure is just able to handle it.
    Do we as responsible citizen appreciate apartments without any greenery? Does man enjoy living in a cement barricade?
    We should wake up and insist upon trees, then maybe the builders would try and save trees for the money greenery would attract if not for altruistic reasons!
    During the building process, there are untold woes with lorries full of sand blocking the narrow roads, which were not build to handle this kind of traffic.
    Then the sand and stone are dumped on the road and the weight causes pipes to burst causing untold misery.
    The builder's greed has turned our morning walks into a nightmare. With the trees gone, the birds who had made their homes in them have vanished too.
    No more can we hear the chirping of birds as a wake up call nor can we hear the cooing of the koel heralding the arrival of monsoon. The squirrels who would daintily nibble at morsels have fled as have the sparrows.
    These ecological imbalances are due to our greed. Bangalore was known for its salubrious climate.
    Now the air is choked with dust.
    There should be a ruling that every apartment block should have at least three trees. People should adopt these measures not for their personal benefit but look at a way to better the ecological balance of the city and the country.
    Strict rules of maintaining the building norms according to the surroundings is very important. It would be good if we designate a separate area for apartments.
    In the West, people are now being careful of the environment and making efforts to protect and preserve the environment. While we ape the West, in so many different ways, it would help if we were to adopt their methods of preserving the environment.
    Maybe that is why I enjoy watching television as I can get to see greenery and efforts made to preserve it. In the real world all I see is neglect and huge piles of unattended garbage. I do not want Bangalore to become a concrete and glass jungle with no trees. When are we going to wake up?

sindmani and BubblyBuddy like this.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sundari,
    I have been accused of ringing the warning bells quite too often. I suppose now it is your turn to ring the warning bell. And you have done it really well.

We have now become insensitive to environmental issues and are focussing exclusively on money-making culture. To a socieity which is sleeping on the lap of luxuries earned at the cost of mother nature, there could not have been a more serious alarm than your article.

If our people do not wake up with this alarm, well, May God save us all!

It's an honour to have one's article appearing in The Hindu. Accept my congratulations and best wishes for many more to come.
    regards,

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

vow sridhar,
    thanku so much for bringing my article to light here, among my friends, i have been around quite long here, and with their blessings will go more.
    you in ur inmitable style have expressed all here, all i can say is a writer like you has the capacity to visualise another very quickly thanku for all ur encouragement. i am where i am because of ur encouragement...with my highest regards to u..sundari kannan

4. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sunkanji,

just now i saw ur photo and read ur article. article is good but i am happy to see ur photo. u know when i read something written by u , varalotti, sunitak and chitvish sometimes i think how u might be looking mid age near to my mothers age or more aged. i am happy, now i saw u and can feel experience works a lot which is reflecting in all your posts. nice day
    bye
    padma

5. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hi Sunkan
    It is so nice to see you in picture Iam so happy to see you. It is so great to have your article in Hindu. accept my hearty congratulations!

Tulasi

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sunkan,
    It is a matter of prestige that your article has appeared in the Hindu. You have written it very well, bringing to notice how we must pay more attention to environmental balance.
    You look very smart, savvy & friendly. I am glad , your photo is also posted !
    Love,
    Chithra.
    P S - I can't help mentioning that your hairstyle is very good !

1 person likes this.
  7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello akka

நவா மரத்து ஊஞ்சலில்
    மழையில் கொட்டிய
    மாம்பழம் தின்றுக்கொண்டே
    எழுதுகிறேன்
    மனிதனுக்கு பணம் கொண்டு
    சுகம் தேட அபார்ட்மென்டுகள்
    ஒரு வழி
    மரத்தோடு அபார்ட்மென்டா
    எங்கே இருக்கும் இடம்
    மனிதன் யோசித்தால்
    மரத்தில் பட்சிகளுடன்
    வீடும் கட்டலாம்
    சந்தோஷமாய் குடியும் இருக்கலாம்..

like Amazing holiday homes
    in
    travel and living

nice to see you in
    the hindu
    firsts are always first?
    in getting their firsts
    in first page fast?

sathya

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  8. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sundari,

Congratulations first on you article appearing in The Hindu.

And I also support you in championing for the environment.

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear padma,
    here my photo seems to take the precedence, anyway happy that i wa able to make all of u happy and more so when all champion along for the right cause, have a grt day, sundari kannan

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear sathya,
    in 1959 nenaikkaren, yennudan kortha viralgal korthey thaan irukku, no first or second follow u or follow me, avvalavu daan both share the crave for a nice garden after living a life of luxury of having thebiggest home, and the surrounding with so many trees, u name it we had it, so missing all now, our street has gone to dogs, that is the pity...love akka