1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who will Bell the cat?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aishu22, Sep 22, 2008.

1. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Who will Bell the cat?

Well, this phrase is not an uncommon one to all of us…the story behind this phrase being… There were load of rats that lived in a big mansion. They ate whatever available and grew big every day. They created havoc and constant headache to the people living in the mansion. One day the head of mansion decided to buy a capable cat which was huge and of a superior breed. He did buy one and the rats were terrorized no end. Each day one or two of them would be the Cat’s lunch or supper.

So the rats called for a meeting and an elderly rat suggested that if at all the cat is tied with a bell on his neck, they can identify its move and can save themselves. All the rats agreed to this great idea. The next discussion was to “who will bell the cat”? A big chaos followed by arguments marred the meeting and it was called off – Thus none belled the cat! All rats became the cats prey eventually.

It may be just a story, but in our real life, haven’t we faced these situations? Take for example a colony or society – If any request has to be made to the Government authorities, all the people who attend those weekly or monthly meetings talk in length, but when it comes to implementing the same – all vanish in a jiffy. Same with a rich noisy neighbor…no one wants to take heads up to clear off the mess, but keeps complaining on and on….none wants to earn the “rich” displeasure.

Same is the case with any office; be it a corporate or a small scale one. Any common welfare to put forward, loads of meetings and analysis – Great, but what is the outcome? – Those reports never reached the concerned person at all. Reason – Appraisal, Increment, Favoritism call whatever…Every one wants to save their face and those welfare measures never happen.

There’s really nothing to discuss about our Nation, well, it’s already in Shambles and “GOD SAVE INDIA” is all we can do.

Fire me with that question –why don’t you do it instead of asking someone else. In some cases, yes, I do take heads up and do certain tasks to put a full stop to any nuisance/make sure some welfare does happen. But on a larger scale, it needs co-operation, a human strength and binding that is in need of hour than an individual contribution.
    Is it that we people are so tolerant or that we fear brickbats?

No one ever bells any cat! Do you have a say on this?

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Aishu
    Very well said:)
    I totally agree with all that you say:)
    In my experience it does not work well when an individual tries and bells the "cat".
    Let me share an incident where I tried to bell the cat!
    On sundays we have sloka class for children. Some parents help us out and we all try and help the children. But there are a few parents who just sit and talk loudly. So loud its a distraction to the students even. I once took courage and tried to bell the "parents" .. disaster.. no likes to be told even such basic things as being polite..
    They could have gone out an talked.. Not right there where we were teaching small children!
    This is but one example.. So the reaction sets a precedence after which one does not want to get involved! right!
    So you have raised a very valid point. I enjoyed reading your whole writeup.. keep writing:)

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Aishu
    Who will bell the cat???
    Looking at the title was wondering which cat are you going to tie the bell:)
    Aishu that was a nice comparison between the cat story and the real life situations. What you say is true we all speak about things but when the final decisions have to taken we all step behind.

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    Thanks aton for your reply.. as always encouraging all of us here :)

That must have been such a bad experience dear.I understand and can emphatize with you.

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear EQ,
    Haa.. did i dupe you with the title? Thanks fro peeping in here and agreeing on the topic dear.

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Aishu..
    :thumbsupthis is for 'belling the cat'...
    To do that, we had to be brave enough to perform that act..
    You are a brave woman..
    AC, you too...

but I am not brave., still thinking how to bell the cat...if the 'cat' is adamant and not going to listen to us., whatever may and act that it doesn't understand anything...

Nice comparison of 'bell the cat' to the day-to -day activities of ourselves..

sriniketan

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Aishu,

Good one..........I thought you are trying to bell somebody at home:tongue:hide:

A valid topid in today's scenario but aishu I have already got a very bad name in belling so many cats so now I sm underplaying things so that atleast some good reputation is left.:twisted:;-)

8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear LS,
    Thanks for steping in here...Well, as you said.. by birth chart i'm one who will try to take heads up and resolve issues.. but most of the times.. it ends up otherwise - we end up in a bad name..

I think its a part of being(belling) the cat process...

9. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Dear aishu,
    Nice topic.

My mother took voluntuntary retirement. and to get her final settlement money from govt, we had to bribe some higher authorities..who will bell the cat?

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sai Kripa,
    I absolutely agree...there is none to bell the cat called corruption.Its such a sad state of affairs that we are yielding to get things done as well.
    Thanks for coming here with your views.